Hi, I am Jim from New Mexico - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2016, 11:33 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: shopping
New Mexico
Hi, I am Jim from New Mexico

Just started looking at small campers and became interested in a 13 ft. Scamp. Should be large enough for my wife, dog and myself. Never having a camper I am not sure of how much difference in space would be from a 13 ft to 16 ft. Is it worth the difference in money?

Thanks,
Jim B.
jimbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:36 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbeck View Post
Just started looking at small campers and became interested in a 13 ft. Scamp. Should be large enough for my wife, dog and myself. Never having a camper I am not sure of how much difference in space would be from a 13 ft to 16 ft. Is it worth the difference in money?Thanks,Jim B.
Welcome to FGRV Jim. Well that's kind of a loaded question as everyone has different wants, needs and ideas of camping. The 3 feet of extra space can make it night and day for enjoyment. If you're looking at having a wet bath, that will take a good bit of the space in a 13. It would be a good idea to go to one of the molded trailer rallies to get a first hand look at the different makes and sizes. Owners are pretty willing to show their rigs.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:05 AM   #3

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
It is a very big difference. Like Dave said, whether it's "worth" the difference in money is a personal decision. Well...I guess I can say without doubt that yes, it's worth the money. The extra space and materials are worth the cost. But whether you need that extra space is a personal decision. Not everyone does. Definitely try to get inside of both. I think it'll be pretty clear to you.

There's something really cool, cozy, and simple about the 13', and it works for a lot of people. But for a lot of other people, it's just not enough space.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:11 AM   #4

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We love our 13 foot scamp (purchased in Hatch, NM ) We looked at a couple of 16 foot scamps both before and after getting ours, and we LOVE our little one. We are a family of 4. I think having the bunks makes the space feel larger, than if it had a front bath (personal opinion, only!) and because we were tent campers for so long, the 13 foot feels luxurious. It really is just a matter of personal preference, so definitely try to get inside a few if you can!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:27 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hi, I am Jim from New Mexico

Welcome, Jim!

My own opinion- and it's just that, my opinion- is that for two people a 13' is fine if you do not need a bathroom, but a 16' is better if you do. Unless both rise and go to bed in unison, a 13'er with bath has no place for an early riser or night owl to sit while the other is asleep. Of course there is outside, but weather does not always cooperate.

In the used market it's easier to find a 13'er without a bath and a 16'er with a bath, so I'd say that represents the majority opinion. Which is not to say there aren't those who make a 13' with bath work for two...

Other factors in your decision may include how much you plan to travel and where you plan to camp.

I agree with Dave- best to get a look at both before you decide. Everyone's idea of space is different. A rally is a great suggestion.

Best wishes finding the one that is right for you!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:56 AM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: shopping
New Mexico
Thank you all for taking time to help, we do appreciate it.
Jim B.
jimbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Hi Jim Lee here, formerly from Cedar Crest NM (35 yrs ) now residing in Idaho. One item not mentioned up to this point is tow vehicle. I don't know what is sitting in your driveway at the moment but depending on what your tow vehicle is or what you will have in the future your choice between 13 footer and 16 footer might require a bigger tow vehicle than you currently have or desire to have in the future. Some of your choice can depend on what kind of camper you are. Do you arrive at the campground, hunker down there, cook, walk the premises and pretty much stay put hence the size of the camper is important or do you do like the wife and I : arrive, set up camp and spend the next couple of days touring the area, visiting points and only arriving back at the campground to eat a hot dog and crawl in bed to get ready for the next day. If you are the former type camper a 16 footer might be best, conversely if, you are like wife and I, and the camper's main use is just as a place to sleep after a long day, hiking , exploring etc a 13 would suffice. I heartly second the advice to go to a gathering and scope out the different models and sizes personally Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
We had a 13', went to a 16' for more space, but found the extra space inconvenient. I don't like to move 6 items to get the 1 I need. We went back to a 13'. Your choice will depend on your camping style: What one person can't live without another person thinks is not worth the space, money, work, etc. We prefer to do everything outdoors; the camper provides dry, warm beds no matter the weather and a few conveniences that a tent doesn't. We are 3 people and 1 huge dog. Look at some fiberglass campers in person if you can, and remember if the one you buy is not the best fit for you selling it is usually pretty fast and easy.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote