Hi! I am Karen, looking for a small Trailer :) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-18-2022, 02:05 AM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Hi! I am Karen, looking for a small Trailer :)

Hello,

I've been doing minivan camping for the past few years, just me and my 2 terriers. I'm in the planning stages of doing a couple month trip. For at least a decade I have been dreaming one day of having a teardrop trailer, the knees are not what they used to be so I've crossed over to looking at the smaller 13' fiberglass trailers. We love the mountains and cooler weather, doing plenty of hiking along the way.

If anyone has a trailer for sale or have one they are considering selling I'd love to hear about it. I am in Southern California. I found my dream trailer in Canada, if someone has tips or knowledge on how to import to the US, that would be much appreciated as well.

Cheers and perhaps see you on the road,
Karen
KarenSMEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:49 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum!

I think you’ll find a 13’ molded trailer perfect for your needs. They’re amazingly roomy inside. We used ours with four people for years. Being able to sit up on your bed, swing your legs down, and stand up… priceless!

I don’t need to tell you it’s a challenge right now. It was never easy due to limited supply, but add the current unprecedented demand, and you get a tough situation for buyers. Beware scams, which are common on Craigslist and FB Marketplace.

There’s a good article about importing from Canada on www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com. Look in the tab for Canadian listings, and at the bottom there’s a link to the article. The only thing it doesn’t cover is up-to-date requirements for crossing the border (which you will have to do). It’s also a good place for listings, and the owner (who is a member here) filters out the scams.

There are also numerous old threads here about buying across the border, some recent enough to contain pandemic border information. Just be aware that (like all social media) there is a certain amount of misinformation you have to filter out. Best way to search old threads is the “site search/google” tool at the bottom of the search menu in the blue task bar.

You mentioned a minivan. You’ll want a minimum 2000# tow rating to pull the smallest 13’ers. Most minivans meet that threshold, but check your owner’s manual for towing details and required equipment (like trailer brakes, which many 13’ers lack) for whatever you’re planning to use.

Best wishes in your search!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:57 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenSMEC View Post
Hello,

I've been doing minivan camping for the past few years, just me and my 2 terriers. I'm in the planning stages of doing a couple month trip. For at least a decade I have been dreaming one day of having a teardrop trailer, the knees are not what they used to be so I've crossed over to looking at the smaller 13' fiberglass trailers. We love the mountains and cooler weather, doing plenty of hiking along the way.

If anyone has a trailer for sale or have one they are considering selling I'd love to hear about it. I am in Southern California. I found my dream trailer in Canada, if someone has tips or knowledge on how to import to the US, that would be much appreciated as well.

Karen
Hello Karen I see you are in So Cal ,have you been to the Happier Camper showroom in Burbank,Glendale area there may be a chance HC has a floor model or a refurbished trailer but they do go very fast . Timing is everything in a search for a fg trailer .good luck in your search.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:00 AM   #4

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
CA
Looking for small trailer

Hi Karen,

I'm getting ready to sell my 1019 13' Scamp. I'm in Castro Valley, CA across the bay from San Francisco. It has most of the added extra factory-installed amenities. My email is wgdanenhower@gmail.com. Please contact me and I will send photos and a list of extras.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenSMEC View Post
Hello,

Karen
Damp Scamp Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:11 PM   #5

Name: JOHN
Trailer: Currently shopping
Florida
Lil Snoozy 4 sale

Hi Karen,

Selling my beloved Snoozy rv trailer .
Located in tarpon springs, florida
If you’re interested let me know?
Enjoy☯️
Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:38 AM   #6

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Hi Karen, just an FYI about your dreams: travelling by minivan is completely different from travelling in a tow vehicle and mini-trailer, especially if you are travelling alone. I currently have a T4500 and a Ford E350 with fold-down rear seat and frequently just travel with the van and use a kitchen tent. You need to consider the tow vehicle hitch and lights/brakes hook-up. Even a 1500 lb trailer needs capacities once packed for travel. Will you expect to travel mountainous terrain? will you want A/C when parked? How often do you have to back up and how comfortable are you doing it when the trailer has a short hitch and is wider than the tow vehicle? I suggest that you try to rent a unit similar in size if you have not done it before. I find that most of my trips would be simpler in a bigger size van that I can stand up in and a bike on the back. Good luck with your search. George in Toronto
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:27 PM   #7

Name: Sue
Trailer: Casita Patriot '13
Pennsylvania
Hi, Karen. Mt 2005 Patriot is listed in classifieds right now.

Best of luck. Sue
jazzjunkysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:35 PM   #8

California
Hi George,

Thank you, your thoughts are very much appreciated. I am spoiled for all these reasons you have mentioned while traveling in my Minivan, especially here in CA where towing speed is maxed at 55mph. Yes, every road out of my town is a mountainous one and I try to travel where and when AC is not mandatory as I have my dogs to worry about. I do enjoy my Minivan, it fits in the garage, I get anywhere from 19-24mpg depending on terrain, I'm shorter so getting in and out isn't much hassle.

Perhaps less is more in my case, my only complaint is the chilly mornings we encounter and I have thought of but yet to install one of those diesel heaters. I hear they are a bit of a pain over 4000foot altitude, my frequent haunts out here are between 7200 and 9900 feet. Maybe I should invest in tools and go this route first.

Thank you all for your thoughts and Cheers. Karen
Old 01-22-2022, 03:11 PM   #9

Name: JUDI
Trailer: SCAMP
Arkansas
Scamp

I have a 13 foot SCAMP Deluxe I am selling
JUDITH 2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:28 PM   #10

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
Karen, our 1987 Mity-Lite fiberglass egg trailer with Westphalia style pop up top is for sale at $10,000 in Tacoma WA. The trailer is 13ft long with a 10ft long body. It is as wide as our 2003 Subaru Forester, and so light the Forester handles it well. One can enter and sit with the top down, and stand up inside with the top up. We have used it both ways. We liked it because it is bear proof with top down. Fuel economy towing is hardly different than not towing it. We added performance brake pads to the Subaru to aid on long mountain highway downhills where the brakes were applied most of the time.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:08 PM   #11

California
Hello, sounds interesting, how heavy is it? Do you have a link or pictures you can send? Thank you, Karen
Old 01-22-2022, 04:29 PM   #12

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
Dont know the exact weight, but is around 900-1000 pounds. There are pictures of Mity-Lites in the forum gallery to give you and idea what they are like.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote