hi i am larry in del city - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-06-2020, 03:27 PM   #1

Name: larry
Trailer: avs aereon
Oklahoma
hi i am larry in del city

i just bought a avs aereon 24ft trailer but not having much luck on finding others or info on them but happy to have it please stay healthy

larry in del city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:38 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Hi, neighbor! I had to look up Aereon to see what it was. Looks to have a molded FG front end cap (sort of bullet shaped) and a regular squarish body, probably with laminated side walls and roof. I don't think we have had any other members with that brand of trailer here; we're mostly owners of trailers with all-molded bodies. But we shall see if anyone has one or knows someone else who does. The Aereons are cool looking trailers, for sure. Did you get it for a good low price? Just curious what something like that would sell for.

Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #3

Oklahoma
mine is a 2010 and they only made them for about 3 years then galilieo bougt them out i gave 7k for mine and thought a made a good deal very easy to pull
Old 04-06-2020, 03:49 PM   #4

Oklahoma
it is a fiberglas trailer
Old 04-06-2020, 04:15 PM   #5

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
[QUOTE=larry in del city;773594]i just bought a avs aereon 24ft trailer but not having much luck on finding others or info on them but happy to have it

It is ASV, not AVS

What I found is that the ASV company changed their name to JMS Galileo. They then launched a website at GalileoRV.com. That website address is no longer viable. The company was last heard from on their facebook page in 2012. There have been no new models since 2012 when a few were shown at the RV trade show in Florida.

I did not turn up any owner's groups on Facebook or elsewhere on the internet.

The Hymer company is using the name Galileo for their concept fiberglass motorhome. So perhaps they soaked up the Galileo company rights to the name and perhaps the designer too. One of those situations where a company vanished without a trace of a word on social media or in business reports that can be easily obtained. If you the physical location of where the company was it might be mentioned in the local business journal for 2012 or 2013. If you know the actual legal name of the LLC you can look that up on the internet but it will most likely just verify a date of no further activity.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:21 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
What I found is that the ASV company changed their name to JMS Galileo. ...
Here is an old thread about that. There might be others.
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ers-67979.html
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:29 PM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Yes, $7k sounds decent. Not bad at all, assuming it's in good condition. I hope things soon get back to normal so you can get out with it and camp. In the meantime, there's always 'driveway camping', which not only can be fun but is actually a good idea, sort of a practice run to see how things work and what you need to pack.

We FGRV folks tend to divide trailers into 2 groups: all-molded bodies and those that have non-molded panels. The latter we tend to call "stickys" or "stick built" out of old habit, although many of them now have aluminum framing inside the laminated sidewalls instead of wood studs. The thing is, all stickys have seams between the sidewalls and roof, and eventually those seams might leak. By contrast, all-molded trailers don't have such seams. They can still leak around window, door, and vent openings, or from inside plumbing, but they don't have those seams, the additional potential leak points. I'm just explaining some of the terminology you'll find as you peruse the posts and threads on this forum.

I'd be interested to know if the sidewalls on the Aereon were flat, molded panels (fiberglass through and through) or the more usual lamination (which often was a foam-and-wood sandwich with FG gel coat). On the one hand, a laminated wall will have a greater insulation factor. But on the other hand, if water penetrates, it can swell the wood part of the sandwich and delaminate. Do you happen to know which type it is? I don't. Either way, periodically inspecting the seam and adding the appropriate sealant will be important.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:22 AM   #8

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Interesting thing I heard about side panels. If they are ribbed rather than smooth they have wood framing and are aluminum sides. The ribs impart structural strength. If the sides are smooth they are probably over an aluminum frame and some sort of wood and laminate. No ribs because the laminate side to has more rigidity than aluminum sheet. Aluminum frame for less weight since the sides are heavier.

I looked at and am still sort of considering an R-Pod 17 ft. with aluminum frame and FG laminate sides. Really like the floor plan but drank the Kool-Aid on molded won't delaminate so I think I don't see an R-Pod in my future at least not this year. Heavier too.

Bottom line a nice camper is a nice camper, many have very distinct features that make owning them special or especially pleasant for their owners. Or especially annoying. They all seem to have some aspect where owners just shake their heads and wonder "what were they thinking?" As well as something that owners delight in not found in most other campers.

RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote