Hi I am Lynnette and looking - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-18-2021, 01:24 AM   #1

Name: Lynnette
Trailer: Still Searching
WI
Hi I am Lynnette and looking

I drive a 2021 Subaru Outback and want a camper with toilet so I’m very limited in my choices. Scamp has had my eye for awhile, 25 month wait however. Does anyone have experience with an under 2000 pound camper they love?
Liverson70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:35 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum, Lynette!

I believe your Outback has a tow rating of 2700/270#, which is great for the type of trailer you are seeking. I think you are wise to leave some margin in your target trailer weight.

Under 2000# with a bathroom pretty much means a 13’ Scamp. My suggestion would be to make the deposit for a new Scamp as a backup and start looking for a used one. There is a steady trickle of used front bath Scamp 13’ers in the used market. Be prepared to travel. Scamp’s deposit is 100% refundable if you are able to find something before they start your build.

The 13’ Casita Patriot Deluxe is another option, but it will likely push your 2000# target. It runs a bit heavier than a comparable Scamp. Casita discontinued that model in 2015, so used is the only option.

Shopping used your may find an occasional 13’ Trillium with a front bath, and maybe a few other uncommon models I’m forgetting, so do keep your eyes open for other possibilities in the 13’ class.

We love our 13’ Scamp. It’s the simpler front bunk version, which includes a storage compartment for a small porta-potty. Pull it out and use it in the trailer, or they make tent-like privacy units you can set up outside. If that could meet your need for a toilet, you have a lot more options.

Best wishes in your search!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:49 AM   #3

WI
My boyfriend just found a fairly local (30 min drive) NuCamp TAB 320S and it has a wet bath. He suggested maybe I buy and use while I wait for the Scamp - sell later….however it’s $25K asking price on 2018 which sounds high me. Any opinions out there on these?
Old 10-18-2021, 09:31 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A quick search on RVTrader.com suggests that price is a bit on the high side. OTOH, being local adds value.

My concern would be resale. Prices of RVs are at historic highs. This model is common enough that you may take a hit in two years, assuming the market cools somewhat by them. Of course there are financial uncertainties no matter what you do.

It’s also a larger and heavier trailer than a Scamp 13, though still within the capabilities of your vehicle. One big advantage over the small Scamp is the large bed.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:57 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
Subaru vehicles have tow ratings ALL over the place. What is YOUR Subaru officially "rated" to tow? When I started with my 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe, the "egg" weighed 2480# empty. The 2004 Toyota Sienna was rated to tow 3500# so, even "fully loaded", I had a GOOD safety margin (something that's VERY important but often overlooked, especially by "newbies"). DON'T "go cheap" here! If your's is one of the Subarus with a low tow rating, it might be necessary to upgrade to a more capable tow platform. I understand that some Subarus ARE rated to tow 3500#; some are limited to 1500# if that. I don't know if ANY Subarus have a 5000# rating. It IS very important to get this right.

PS: you're likely to need a Class 3 WDH (Weight Distributing Hitch). My 2004 Sienna rode low so, I also added air bags which made a big difference in ride height.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #6

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
I prefer a porta pot to a built in toilet because it allows me to avaid the long lines dump station and the $10.00 fee that has gone into effect at most in Ca. If I stay in the same site for long I don't have to break camp to dump. I have a Scamp 16' with a toilet and a Compact Jr with cubby for a porta pot. I save time and money with the Compact with a little loose of convenience. My wife prefers the fixed in place toilet.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:30 PM   #7

WI
Thanks!

My Outback can tow 2700 sorry had forgotten to list that! I went to see the Nucamp and was pretty impressed - thinking I’ll go with it, they knocked it down a tad.