Hi, I am Matt - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #1

Name: Matt
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Washington
Hi, I am Matt

Hi, I am Matt, my wife and I are expecting our first child in about 9 weeks, and we just bought our first RV for camping with him. We bought a 13' Scamp, a 1992, found it on craigslist from a fella who said "I'm too old to use it anymore." We have stayed with my friend Aaron Lambert (who referred me to this site) in his 16' Scamp, and liked it a lot.
We wanted the RV so the baby will be warm and safe camping, and figured that our normal tenting would be tough on him early on. We have a family reunion in western Montana when he'll be about 6-7 weeks old, and even in July/August it can get really cold at the higher elevations.
The trailer is in real good shape, just needs a few things readied before use. Shouldn't take too long, but things are really busy right now getting ready for the kid.
Aaron recommends installing a sway bar, which sounds good--the trailer pulled real easy taking it home, but the wind did push it laterally--don't need any trouble with the baby on the road.
Would love to hear any "musts" for this little trailer and what to expect. I'll probably be a regular reader on threads, less likely to post since my experience is nil. Thanks a lot--Matt
mdboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome Matt to FiberglassRV, we're glad Aaron recommended us! A baby sure changes your prospective, huh? I'll leave the sway bar recommendation to others, but I know they are going to ask... what is your tug?

Do you have any pictures you'd like to share? And, you will post a picture when the new little camper is born too... won't you... you will be making memories that will last a lifetime with your family.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome. You'll get lots of good advice here.

Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:26 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
WOW! New family and new tow. Congratulations on both and be sure to give us pictures. Plan on your newest member taking over most of the trailer space with change area and sleeping area.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #5

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Welcome Matt, At the egg meets we've been to the need for a antisway bar seems to be a split decision. We don't use one with our 13 Scamp, but your experience so far would seem to push you the other way. Can't be too careful with your family! You'll enjoy it, hope to see you down the road. Tony
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Welcome to the group, and congratulations on your new addition!. I think that someone on this website rigged up the front couch area to use as a playpen/crib of sorts for baby sleeping. It's kind of tight to fit a playpac into the floor space
I don't use a sway bar with my 13ft UHaul. I tow with a Ford Escape 6cyl and I keep my speed down to 65 or less.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #7

Washington
We'll be pulling with a 2000 Isuzu Trooper.
Aaron has a sway bar from Camping World, about $80, there is also one at Harbor Freight for I think $35, was wondering if anyone knows about the quality of the HF bar.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Welcome to this great group. We tow our 13' Uhaul with a 2003 Honda CRV, no sway bar, and run at 70 on the interstates with no problem unless there is a crosswind and then we'll slow down some.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #9

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We've had about a zillion trailers and never had nor needed a sway bar. If it makes you feel better get one. They're not that expensive. As for the baby, they're tougher than you think. We started our younger one at age one month. He was a better camper than his 60 something grandmother.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
At that price a sway bar may be nice to have, but at that price I'd bet it's made in China. I don't use a sway bar or brakes.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #11

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hi matt--welcome! we started our eldest son camping (in a tent-trailer) at 10 days of age. the others followed at similar ages. they still relate stories of their "best vacation" and from each of them it's a camping story. memories....those years of camping with the innocence of young children...priceless.
as to the sway bar, we don't use one.

as to "musts"...everyone cherishes different things while camping. you know that already as you have a tenting background. you're probably pretty well versed on the essentials already. you'll discover that being able to leave your trailer "ready to go" with duplicates to what you use at home, stuff that stays and lives in the trailer, will make not only your life, but that of your partner, 1000% easier, especially with a baby. i remember going tent-camping. the amount of stuff we had to take filled the car and then, in time, with 3 boys, filled a utility trailer. and we had to put it all away when we got home.....having our dishes, linens, pots/pans, small appliances etc .etc exclusively for the trailer has actually increased the number of trips we've gone camping on.....because there was no "after shock". just my opinion....
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #12

One thing about a baby... they grow Before long, you'll be wanting your child to sleep in a safe place and not be free to crawl around freely in the middle of the night. So, I thought you'd like to see what one young family did to corral their children. Since you only have the one, you could leave the top bunk available for storage. I think it's cool, but my 20 year old daughter doesn't like to be confined anymore. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-24663.html
Old 04-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
YEAH - leave it to you Donna! That's the setup I was remembering!!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #14

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Welcome to the new family. I camped with my kids (40,35,33) and they do have great memories. Always have a camera along, even if its a disposable. You want those pix for a baby book. Like one member said, babies are stronger and more resilent then we think.
Have fun and keep us posted with pix.
Happy Trails!
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:47 AM   #15

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
as a 61 yo grandfather,,, i envy you.
the times you , and your growing family are going to have in that little scamp will be memories you will have for ever. for both mom and dad, and for that baby.
remember not to watch it all threw a veiw finder. sure take pictures, but remember the best pictures will be in your mind.

so travel wisely. far isn't always best. there are surprising things to see and do within a tank of gas no matter where you live.

oh,,,,and always cary a fishing pole, god doesn't count time spent fishing , specialy with a child.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #16

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Our 13 is towed with a mini van. We do not have a lot of weight in the rear of the trailer and combined with the wheel base of the Honda have never needed a sway bar. We don't tow at more than 65 mph.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
YEAH - leave it to you Donna! That's the setup I was remembering!!
Part of my database links Pam There's another one, equally as cool... it was done in "white" if I can find it, I'll post that one too. It may help Matt or others with small children

And yes, John has the right idea... it's about the memories we make and that are stored in our "experiences," not necessarily by those we take pics of... YMMV
Old 04-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #18

Washington
Thank you very much everyone for the welcomes and the advice.
I installed the sway bar yesterday, just going to touch it up with some welds (it bolts on).
The bunk bed set up is just great looking--I'm really excited to get to that in the future.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:16 AM   #19

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
wait,,,,my memories come in fits and starts,,,right now i'm remembering the teen years with the three "little darlings" and thinking i may need to lay down for a bit......
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #20

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I have heard that sway bars might need to be disconnected before sharp backups, just a heads-up in case there's any truth to that. I have no direct experience with one.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote