Hi I am Melvg77 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2021, 06:02 PM   #1

Name: Melissa
Trailer: Scamp
CO
Smile Hi I am Melvg77

My husband and I currently reside in Highlands Ranch, Co. We just purchased a '94 13' Scamp and are looking forward to renovating it. We love to camp and are excited to take our almost 6yo daughter as soon as possible. We have been tent campers up until this point.
Melvg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:05 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome! We love our 13' Scamp. I was a tent camper. My wife was a non-camper. This was our meeting in the middle.

Enjoy the renovating and the traveling !
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:20 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Best transition to a molded FG trailer is a tent. It will seem so spacious. My friends with the mobile condominium (40 foot class A) on the other hand, find these trailers tiny.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Welcome
Wife and I are in lone tree co
Enjoy
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:09 AM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Welcome folks!
After you camp in a trailer, a tent just won't do, LOL!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:23 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Welcome folks!
After you camp in a trailer, a tent just won't do, LOL!

Sir Edmund Hillary and Sears Canada colluded to make my life miserable.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:37 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
The measuring tape says the opposite, but the older I get, the farther away the ground seems to be.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:28 PM   #8

Name: Frank
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream
Nevada
Registry
There are lots of advantages that camp trailers have over tent camping, the main thing I like is the stove and sink. They make it so nice when it comes time to cook and eat! Enjoy your remodel adventure. Folks here are mighty helpful, don't hesitate to ask for advice and help!
canyon Rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:32 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I went camping in Dinosaur Provincial Park.
https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/so...ping/dinosaur/
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinosaur Prov Park 01.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	139790
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinosaur Prov Park 02.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	139791

Beautiful place, but when we were there they had a, "once in 30 years" rain storm. Our camp site was a drainage channel. The water was up to the bottom of our Trillium 4500. I had our Coleman stove under the trailer. It was ruined. From inside the trailer it was fun. The kids were super excited. Downstream there were some tent campers. They didn't seem to have as much fun.

One fellow, who had a nice bed height air mattress told me that he was floating when he woke up.

Glad I had a trailer.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:23 PM   #10

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Tent vs camper

Welcome to this web site. We did a lot of tent camping over the years. To Alaska and back one year. As we got older it was getting to hard to get up from the ground.

We purchased a 2002 Casita 17 ft SD in 2005 and haven't looked back since.

We are in Colorado Springs. One thing you will find out is that camping spaces West of Denver are very hard to find on the weekend. You have to reserve your camp site months in advance. Because of that we were going South and West but they are filling up early too. Since we are retired we go during the week and are home on the weekend. There is an exception, when we have a family camping trip then we go to a camp ground that has no reservations and rent the extra site we need for the kids and grand kids.

Have fun getting your trailer ready and enjoy your camping trips.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:01 PM   #11
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
Hi I am Melvg77

Aren’t you glad you posted on this site? I found this site before I picked up my Scamp 13 and I keep coming back to it because there are questions being answered that I didn’t realize I needed the answers to. Everyone is very helpful and you will receive many answers to questions from people with varying experiences and RV’s. Good luck, think positive, it seems there are solutions to most if not all problems !!!!
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:01 PM   #12

Name: rj
Trailer: Owner of a 16' fixer Scamp and fixed up 13'
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I went camping in Dinosaur Provincial Park.
https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/so...ping/dinosaur/
Attachment 139790
Attachment 139791

Beautiful place, but when we were there they had a, "once in 30 years" rain storm. Our camp site was a drainage channel. The water was up to the bottom of our Trillium 4500. I had our Coleman stove under the trailer. It was ruined. From inside the trailer it was fun. The kids were super excited. Downstream there were some tent campers. They didn't seem to have as much fun.

One fellow, who had a nice bed height air mattress told me that he was floating when he woke up.

Glad I had a trailer.
Yeah, Doubt you want to have a fiberglass boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoepner View Post
Welcome to this web site. We did a lot of tent camping over the years. To Alaska and back one year. As we got older it was getting to hard to get up from the ground.

We purchased a 2002 Casita 17 ft SD in 2005 and haven't looked back since.

We are in Colorado Springs. One thing you will find out is that camping spaces West of Denver are very hard to find on the weekend. You have to reserve your camp site months in advance. Because of that we were going South and West but they are filling up early too. Since we are retired we go during the week and are home on the weekend. There is an exception, when we have a family camping trip then we go to a camp ground that has no reservations and rent the extra site we need for the kids and grand kids.

Have fun getting your trailer ready and enjoy your camping trips.
We already have ran across the lack of camping. I think the pandemic has had folks checking out camping even faster. thanks for the heads up =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
Aren’t you glad you posted on this site? I found this site before I picked up my Scamp 13 and I keep coming back to it because there are questions being answered that I didn’t realize I needed the answers to. Everyone is very helpful and you will receive many answers to questions from people with varying experiences and RV’s. Good luck, think positive, it seems there are solutions to most if not all problems !!!!
I'll tell her about the kind words.
we just got back with the Scamp today.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0566.jpg  
funkgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:16 AM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkgun View Post
...we just got back with the Scamp today.
Can I assume you're the other half of Melvg77? Congratulations on joining the Scamp family!

Looking at your photo, I'm wondering about the fridge. I see what looks like a lower fridge vent for a 3-way RV absorption fridge, but I don't see the normal upper vent. Curious... Also wondering about that large box on the back... hopefully not intended for anything heavy, or you may have some towing stability issues.

Best wishes for exciting Scamp adventures ahead!
Old 03-22-2021, 12:48 PM   #14
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
Melvig

Just out of curiosity, what do people use the rear hitch for if not bikes?
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:41 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Cargo carrier?
Attached Thumbnails
Cargo box.jpg  
Old 03-23-2021, 02:56 AM   #16

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Can I assume you're the other half of Melvg77? Congratulations on joining the Scamp family!

Looking at your photo, I'm wondering about the fridge. I see what looks like a lower fridge vent for a 3-way RV absorption fridge, but I don't see the normal upper vent. Curious... Also wondering about that large box on the back... hopefully not intended for anything heavy, or you may have some towing stability issues.

Best wishes for exciting Scamp adventures ahead!
It is one of the Dometic RM2190,
While testing the scamp, the DC did hardly anything, while the LP seemed to work fine. But I am not sure if it is not properly vented. From the age of the fridge (looks old) I was assuming it was put in a while ago I do not know if this is possibly original.

and thanks!

Quote:
I honestly was going to use this for my bikes if I had a hitch. the container that is on this particular Scamp, was sold along with it. I am still on the fence as to if we really want to use it or not. Currently, it is almost empty. It only came with a grill, wood blocks, a cover and a tire iron. If I keep it, I was kinda hoping to put some lighter items in it, Chairs, kids bike, outdoor shower pop-up, outdoor rug, ect. If we keep it, I'm probably going to invest in a tongue weight scale or buy a scale and a block of wood to see how much my tongue is as I pack it.
the Scamp did not come with back cabinets, or a front one, just the closet and the kitchen ones, so might run out of space fast.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:16 AM   #17

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Holding ham radio antennas

Quote:

This one is not mine, but I do it also. This was a fellow camper on my boondocking lot in northwest Wisconsin. There are many accessories for a 2" receiver. Most notable The Bumper Dumper .
Attached Thumbnails
a2IMG_2153.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:49 AM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
https://www.amazon.com/Kill-Shot-Swi.../dp/B006VWVFQ4
Here’s an idea if you hunt out of your trailer.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:35 AM   #19

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkgun View Post
It is one of the Dometic RM2190,
While testing the scamp, the DC did hardly anything, while the LP seemed to work fine. But I am not sure if it is not properly vented. From the age of the fridge (looks old) I was assuming it was put in a while ago I do not know if this is possibly original.
DC operation is weak and battery-killing. Most tow vehicles cannot supply enough power through the charge line to run the fridge on DC and keep the battery charged, and you certainly cannot use it on DC when unplugged for any length of time. In RVs with robust charging systems from the chassis or tow vehicle, DC is adequate to hold a pre-cooled fridge at temperature while you’re driving, as long as it’s not too hot and you don’t open it.

Yours is definitely not original. The older vents were metal. This has a new-style plastic lower vent. My guess is this trailer came with the standard icebox, no vents. Someone installed a used 3-way fridge, apparently without reading the manual. That concerns me because not only does it require an upper exhaust vent, but also the back must be properly sealed to the shell to prevent CO getting into the cabin. This could actually be dangerous. Is there a CO detector in the trailer?

You can download a copy of the manual and read installation instructions- there is likely one in our Document Center in the “More” tab, or take it to an RV tech for evaluation and correction.
Old 03-23-2021, 04:40 PM   #20

Colorado
Thanks Jon, we have a CO detector coming in. It had a LP detector as well, but we are replacing that as well.

Sounds as if I need to double check the manual, but I might be adding some venting. It is comical, there is a mini circular vent above the bottom one. I’m wondering if the installer thought that would be sufficient. We’ve already replaced the AC unit and will be tackling the floors next. I will add the vent to the next in line list.