Hi I am Mike - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2021, 10:10 AM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Florida
Hi I am Mike

We are downsizing from living full time in a 5th wheel RV, looking to find a travel trailer for 2. We are particularly interested in the Casita Independence because of the twin bed arrangements. The days of climbing over a spouse in the middle of the night are over, lol. Looking forward to getting to know some Casita Independence owners and any comments you may have. Thanks! Mike
Mcaron255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:47 AM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Have never owned a Casita, but I would welcome you to the forum.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:52 PM   #3

Florida
Thank you

Thank you for the welcome.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:42 PM   #4

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
I understand about climbing over your spouse in the middle of the night!
We changed up the 'double' bed in our 13' Scamp by removing the table hardware, cutting off about half of the table top and placing it between the 2 benches with a cushion on it. This makes the 'single' bed at the back.
I took the top bunk off completely in order to make the bottom bunk (front bench) wider and added a mattress topper on the front bed. So, no more climbing over each other and actually have easier access to the storage under the dinette bed.
This arrangement has worked well for the 2 of us for sleeping, but we can still set up the small table for games and seat 4-5 people around it.
Linda M R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:04 PM   #5

Florida
Thank you Linda. That sounds like a great option and a great consideration as it opens up the opportunity to pursue other models. Thank you again. Mike
Old 09-17-2021, 02:30 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Similar here. My wife found the main "double" bed (45"x76") in our Scamp too confining for two, so I take the small front single and she gets the main bed. Advantage over side-by-side twins is we can share the larger bed for couple time when desired, but separate for sleeping and easier nighttime bathroom visits. Downside is the small bed is pretty narrow (26"), but I'm okay with that. The Casita Spirit allows the side dinette to be used as a single bed, though some find it too narrow (23-24", maybe?).

Our other RV, a Class B, also has a non-conventional arrangement. It's a sort of half-king, half-twin configuration. The head end is full width for the feeling of a shared bed, but the foot end has a center aisle for easy entry and exit without disturbing your partner. I believe the Casita Liberty and Independence can be set up this way. Downside is the bedding gets complicated. We just use sleeping bags with washable liners.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadtrek Bed.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	334.0 KB
ID:	143347

With small RVs, it helps to think creatively about sleeping arrangements.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:44 PM   #7

Florida
Thank you Jon.
I really appreciate the experience and workarounds you all have worked out. Thank you! This unit we are looking for will not be our first RV but will be our smallest. We have a 27’ cabin cruiser with tight sleeping quarters so it should not be an issue. But even on the boat there is no need to crawl over one another the way we are set up.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:55 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Late thought...

The only complaint I have heard from Independence owners is the aisle is really narrow (around 14" IIRC), making for a game of footsies if you need to set up a table for inside dining, as well as awkward access to the underbed storage.

I personally prefer the idea of starting with the Liberty (which has much narrower benches and a wider aisle). You can do the half-and-half thing, where the narrowness doesn't matter as much because it's only your legs, or you can widen the twins by cantilevering the mattresses over the aisle (as many have done). That would be an opportunity to upgrade the standard cushions to a pair of thicker custom mattresses. For me 27-28" makes a perfectly comfortable twin bed and leaves the back of the trailer a lot less congested than the 30" twins in the Independence.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:13 PM   #9

Florida
The mattresses on the bunks for our boat are 30” and are comfortable. I agree that the 28” would not make much of a difference. Not having seen any of the Casitas I was not even sure how wide any of the sleeping areas would be. I also was not sure if the Liberty would be long enough sleeping lengthwise along the trailer. I guess if a bed can be made up into a King a person could sleep lengthwise or crosswise to the trailer.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:37 AM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: enjoying our 17ft Casita
Virginia
2019 Indepedence

My wife and I love the twin bed set up of our Independence Deluxe. Previously had a Liberty Deluxe.
ddnemitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:23 PM   #11

Name: Levi
Trailer: Casita
Texas
spirit deluxe converted to twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcaron255 View Post
We are downsizing from living full time in a 5th wheel RV, looking to find a travel trailer for 2. We are particularly interested in the Casita Independence because of the twin bed arrangements. The days of climbing over a spouse in the middle of the night are over, lol. Looking forward to getting to know some Casita Independence owners and any comments you may have. Thanks! Mike
Hi there I totally get what you are saying same at our house to .If I can figure out how to put photo in I will show you how I converted our spirit to a twin.
rdteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:09 PM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Independence is made with the same fiberglass molds of other models. To fit in two twins, the center aisleway is very narrow. In addition, the beds are still narrow. A residential twin is 39 inches wide. I believe the Independence twins are 30 inches wide. We had a Liberty with 23 inch “twins”. Did not work for us.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote