Hi, I am new - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2022, 05:36 PM   #1

Name: Cindy-lou
Trailer: Scamp
RI
Hi, I am new

Hi, I am Cindy and I am new to this forum and to RVs in general! I just acquired a 1977 Scamp 13 which I hope to enjoy some traveling and camping in.
I am an almost retired nurse midwife. I am excited to get to know the Scamp and look forward to asking lots of questions and learning from you folks!
Cindy-lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 09:05 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Cindy, and congratulations on joining the Scamp family!

This is a great place for information about maintenance and repairs on your new travel pod.

How about a picture?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:53 AM   #3

RI
Lady and her Scamp

Here is my 1977 Scamp
Attached Thumbnails
89F4DC52-74EC-46DE-B142-41C29D6B07D8.jpg  
Old 05-06-2022, 08:12 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Beautiful trailer Cindy-lou!
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:00 AM   #5

Name: Kate
Trailer: Casita 2018 Liberty Dlx
Massachusetts
re: Lady and her Scamp

Hey Lady - Congratulations! Really nice looking trailer. Glad you posted a pic. This forum is great for sharing knowledge and experience.

Happy travels.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:47 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
Welcome Cindy! Check out Eileen Glick's website Love My Casita For her book "Casita Trailer A-Z OWNER'S GUIDE" as well as other items useful to "egg" trailer owners. Much of the book applies to all fiberglass RVs. It will be money well spent.
Again, WELCOME!
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 11:23 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
One of the first things I would do with a new-to-me trailer is wait for the first rainy day, park it outside, and spend some time inside looking for signs of leaks. Because of the lining on the inside of the fiberglass, they will often appear at the floor around the outer perimeter next to the shell, so look carefully inside every lower bench and cabinet, as well as windows, vents, upper cabinets (rivets holding them can leak).

It looks like it's had some care, but don't take anything for granted.

The black paint will be a heat magnet. Wouldn't work for me in Arizona for sure, but maybe okay in the Northeast. Speaking of which, if it hasn't been upgraded with a power roof vent (Fantastic Fan or Maxxair Fan), that would be a good first project. Get one that's reversible and has multiple speeds, but skip the other fancy electronics (remote control, rain sensor...). I'd recommend a model with a hood so you can keep it running in the rain.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:59 PM   #8

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Welcome to the group, we have a vintage boler, this is great group to get info on slightly used fiberglass trailers
Old 05-11-2022, 11:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500
Registry
Hi Cindy. Welcome to the forum. Looks nice and having and awning is great as it adds to the usefulness in the hot sun or rain. The awning legs are a little fragile in the wind and if the awning is not tied down to something the awning can lift and get damaged easily. If it is windy at all we close ours up. I would have someone look at the frame especially at the front where the bends are for cracks. We had it happen to our older scamp about that same year and it was in very bad condition, rusted and cracked. We sold it as I didn't want to repair it. We told the buyer and showed him the problem but he said he would get it repaired. We sold it cheap because of the problem. The 1300 is a nice light easy to tow trailer and will give you lots of fun memories.
ROBERT ONEILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:42 AM   #10

RI
Hi Robert, Thanks for your suggestions! I will be very careful with the awning
I did inspect the frame and did not see any cracks. I hope none show up but I will keep checking.
Cindy
Old 05-15-2022, 08:46 AM   #11

RI
Thanks David!
Old 05-15-2022, 08:51 AM   #12

RI
Hi Kate, Is Fergus a dog? I have a Wheaten terrier/poodle mix as my permanent shotgun. Her name is Ruckus
Old 05-16-2022, 06:02 AM   #13

RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
One of the first things I would do with a new-to-me trailer is wait for the first rainy day, park it outside, and spend some time inside looking for signs of leaks. Because of the lining on the inside of the fiberglass, they will often appear at the floor around the outer perimeter next to the shell, so look carefully inside every lower bench and cabinet, as well as windows, vents, upper cabinets (rivets holding them can leak).

It looks like it's had some care, but don't take anything for granted.

The black paint will be a heat magnet. Wouldn't work for me in Arizona for sure, but maybe okay in the Northeast. Speaking of which, if it hasn't been upgraded with a power roof vent (Fantastic Fan or Maxxair Fan), that would be a good first project. Get one that's reversible and has multiple speeds, but skip the other fancy electronics (remote control, rain sensor...). I'd recommend a model with a hood so you can keep it running in the rain.
Thanks for your insights Jon,
I will be checking all the areas you suggested after we get some rain. I do have a Maxxair fan and I agree, it is great!
The dark green paint would not have been my choice but maybe I will change it up at some point
Happy Scamping!
Cindy
Old 05-24-2022, 07:00 AM   #14

Name: Jane and John
Trailer: 2024 Escape 21C
New Hampshire
Spring Fling NE

Welcome!!! there are a great group of folks here hopefully we will meet you next year at the Spring Fling NE Rally 2023 in May in NH, we have a great time, we also have a Scamp a 19' fifth wheel that we love. you can save the date here: www.springflingne.org or here on the forum under Rallys and Meets. Our date is May 18,19,20,21, 2023 Hope to see you there

Call: Campground Office @ (603) 323-8536 or Chocorua Camping Village KOA 888) 237-8642
Be sure to tell them your with the Spring Fling group to get this special rate on your site.