Hi, I am new here and looking for a camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2021, 03:50 PM   #1

Name: Joshua
Trailer: Scamp
NY
Hi, I am new here and looking for a camper

Hello all,

New here and looking to purchase a small fiberglass camper for my wife, and two dogs to be able to enjoy some camping. My wife and I both work for residential summer camps, so our traveling is limited to the fall and spring because we are so busy during the summer season. We have a Subaru Forester so we are limited to some of the 13 foot options. I really like the style of the Trillium 1300 and the Scamp 13 footer.

From the research that I have done, it looks like there is a lot of difference in the dry weight of some of the campers depending on the year. I was looking at a Trillium 1300 that claimed to be 1120 .lbs but then five years newer model was listing 1350 .lbs. Im sure the difference between them is based on the features that are in the camper.

I am searching classifieds and FB market place each day for something in my general area to take a look at. I hope to find something by the fall so we can do a few trips. I look forward to chatting with everyone on here. Enjoy.
JEVanHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:09 PM   #2

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEVanHorn View Post
Hello all,

New here and looking to purchase a small fiberglass camper for my wife, and two dogs to be able to enjoy some camping. My wife and I both work for residential summer camps, so our traveling is limited to the fall and spring because we are so busy during the summer season. We have a Subaru Forester so we are limited to some of the 13 foot options. I really like the style of the Trillium 1300 and the Scamp 13 footer.

From the research that I have done, it looks like there is a lot of difference in the dry weight of some of the campers depending on the year. I was looking at a Trillium 1300 that claimed to be 1120 .lbs but then five years newer model was listing 1350 .lbs. Im sure the difference between them is based on the features that are in the camper.

I am searching classifieds and FB market place each day for something in my general area to take a look at. I hope to find something by the fall so we can do a few trips. I look forward to chatting with everyone on here. Enjoy.
They vary a lot; fiberglass layup differences and equipment installed. Have seen 13' bolers at 800 lbs to 1100 lbs, know of a 15' that is 1100 lbs and one 17' at under 1500 lbs, but they can go to 2500 lbs for a boler 17' maybe even more. Only scales will give you real weight. Sticker on ours was out a lot and we pull with no water in tanks. Some older trailers were weighed in with propane tanks full, battery and water on board. New units are dry weight no water, propane or some times even battery.

Lookup the purchase check list and read it before you purchase it will make life better.

Some Forester models are 1500 lbs and they can be as much as 2700 lbs recommended towing limit. Depends on year, transition options and model. Check yours out. Subaru makes a great towing rig.

Good luck shopping and have fun
Old 07-08-2021, 11:52 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum!

Recent Foresters are limited to a 1500# trailer. That will be tough, even with a 13’er. My very basic 13’ Scamp weighs about 1300# empty and around 1700# loaded for camping. That’s pretty typical. Don’t believe all the weight claims of sellers or even published dry weights (which may not include basic features like a battery or propane tank). A scaled weight is the only reliable source.

With a 1500# tow rating I’d consider something smaller like a vintage Eriba Puck or the modern Meerkat clone. They’re about 900# empty and 1200# or so loaded. Only the roof is molded fiberglass; the sides are aluminum skin over aluminum frame.

If you have an older Forester with a 2400# tow rating, then you’re good to go with most 13’er. You just have to watch tongue weight. Dual LP tanks will put you over its 200# tongue weight limit.

Best wishes in your search.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Might want to look at this

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...rld-43010.html
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:13 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Last time I weighed my 1300 it was just over 1800 lbs loaded for camping. At one time I towed with a Forrester. I found the manual transmission did not provide the torque needed for hill starts. In Australia they actually sell them with a creeper gear but not here. Once moving, it was obvious the car was working hard. After a couple of outings, I went back to towing with the truck. If I had the automatic, the experience may have been better. Later models have the CVT. I'm not sure I would want to tow with that. What ever trailer you get, do make sure it has brakes.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:36 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
A few key words here: "I was looking at a Trillium 1300 that claimed to be 1120 .lbs but then five years newer model was listing 1350 .lbs. Im sure the difference between them is based on the features that are in the camper."

Seller of my 1977 Trillium "claimed" it weighed 800 pounds. I knew better, so this low weight did not enter into my decision. After purchase, I weighed it at a truck stop, 1540 pounds. And this was with no gear inside, no propane, no battery, no furnace, no water tank.

If a seller quotes you a weight, ask for a copy of the scale ticket. Or just ignore. Trillium 1300 with gear is going to weigh 1,750 pounds +/-, a Scamp can weigh even more depending on options.

People want awnings, AC, refrigerator, furnace, bathroom, and more. ALL of these are OPTIONS on a Scamp. Every option adds weight. On my old Trillium, a battery was an option!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:25 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2012 Lil Snoozy w Forester
Illinois
I pulled a 17 ft Lil Snoozy with a 4 cylinder forrester all over the continent for over 8 years without any problems. Mine was a 2010 forrester rated for 2500lbs. I think the newer forrester towing weight might be lower now. Not sure how much heavier the other brands are but we loved our Snoozy. Might be able to go beyond 13ft. Good luck and happy trails. Dave
DavArl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:13 PM   #8

Name: Genie
Trailer: Litehouse Trailer for Two
Ohio
Hi. I have a Litehouse Trailer-for-Two. Northeast Ohio. I will give contact info if you'd like to talk.
Genie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:28 PM   #9

Name: Joshua
Trailer: Scamp
NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genie View Post
Hi. I have a Litehouse Trailer-for-Two. Northeast Ohio. I will give contact info if you'd like to talk.
Hello Genie,

I just looked these up, they are adorable and I think could work really well for us. I would be very interested in talking to you more about your trailer. Feel free to message me whenever you can.
JEVanHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:25 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
The lite house are very cool

We have a little joe ( mfg is Weiscraft)….. very similar to the lite house
I think you would be very happy with one of them
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote