Hi... I am new in these here parts... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #1

Name: Dee
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Georgia
Hi... I am new in these here parts...

Just located the site and I have been shopping for a small camper trailer that I can manage by myself so I can visit my son regularly as he has just graduated from boot camp. The burro looks reasonable in price and size
KaleidoscopeKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:35 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Dee!

The Burro is one of many 13' molded fiberglass trailers. In egg parlance that means they have a 10'x6.5' shell on a 13' long frame, tongue-to-bumper.

The "Manufacturers" tab at the top lists many of the current and legacy makes. Not all make a 13' model. Scamp is the most common, along with Casita and Happier Camper. Armadillo and Relic also make semi-custom 13' trailers. Many others, including the Burro, are no longer made.

Most of the 13'ers have a similar layout: dinette/double bed at the back, small galley in the middle, and bunks or a small dinette at the front. A few, mostly newer, substitute a wet bath in front.

Weights range from about 1300 pounds to around 2200 pounds, with 1600-1800 pounds pretty typical for a loaded-for-camping 13'er. The thread Trailer Weights in the Real World has some good data on actual weights of different makes (the 800 pound Burro listed is probably a gutted shell). Post #297 links to a spreadsheet of the data.

Before you get too far, make sure you have a vehicle to pull it with. Some sellers claim "under 1000 pounds" and "you can pull it with anything." 'Fraid it ain't so! A tow rating of 1500 pounds is marginal; 2000-2500 pounds is better. Check the towing section of your owner's manual for the scoop on what your vehicle can handle.

Personally, I wouldn't limit my search to just a Burro. Prices for used 13' trailers are similar among the various makes and have more to do with condition (as well as location and season) than with manufacturer. By considering other options, you have a better chance of finding something in good condition within your search radius and budget.

Best wishes on your "egg hunt"!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:01 AM   #3

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Check www.parkliner.com (factory in NC and highly customizable) and Lilsnoozy (factory in SC) www.lilsnoozy.com
Old 12-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I know that the old Burro website was up for quite a few years after the company folded so if you stumbled across it , the prices listed are very old.

Good luck in your search, gems do come up but are snapped up quick. The ones that don't sell quick , are usually in pretty bad shape and need repair. So if you find one in your area, get over there fast with cash in hand, then take a hard look at it before parting with the cash. ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE TITLE IS AVAILABLE AND MATCHES THE SELLER.

The fixer uppers can be fun but only if you have the knowledge and tools to do the work. They can get out of control fast as far as money and time.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote