Hi I am Pam fro Washington state - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-29-2018, 10:13 PM   #1

Name: Pam
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Smile Hi I am Pam fro Washington state

Hi We recently purchased a 1975 Scamp and excited to do do some changes in the interior. Mostly paint & curtains. I am interested in hearing suggestions of what type of paint to use to paint the cupboard doors. I am not fond of the dark brown and want to brighten it up.
Pamking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:13 AM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamking View Post
Hi We recently purchased a 1975 Scamp and excited to do do some changes in the interior. Mostly paint & curtains. I am interested in hearing suggestions of what type of paint to use to paint the cupboard doors. I am not fond of the dark brown and want to brighten it up.
use a primer paint that says it will stick to vinyl, that will give you good adhesion on most surfaces including vinyl. You can have primers tinted to be a color that is very close to the finish paint color you choose. But that primer is the essential step for great adhesion of paint. As for the top coats, most any of the better brands of paint will work just fine. A semigloss or gloss paint is the easiest to wash clean.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:57 AM   #3

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, Pamking,

Primer is very important as k. corbin said.

Your paint "should" be enamel, that is, oil-based, if possible. Enamel paints dry harder and wear better under hard use conditions, and have less tendency to stick to themselves--that is, where a door meets the cabinet surround. Under some damp or humid conditions, latex paint may self-adhere (Consumer Reports and personal experience). Enamesl will take longer to "fume off" than latex paints (water clean-up) so if that's a real consideration, look for "scrubbable" water clean-up/latex paint. I'd always go with enamel, myself, though I have many allergies.

You can use chalkboard paint so you can write notes there if you want...you can use any finish, flat, eggshell, satin, semi-gloss, or gloss depending on how shiny you'd like the cabinets to be. Flatter finishes don't show fingerprints as readily; shinier finishes are glossier and may be easier to wipe clean. Nothing like a high gleam to shout, Clean! and New! But flatter finishes also conceal minor imperfections in the surface better...gloss paint reveals everything--sanding and prep (filling and smoothing small holes) is very important.

Painting cabinets in a trailer or house can give you huge impact for the cost and effort.

Post pics if you can, we love pics here.

We'd like to invite you to Dash Point State Park September 21 & 22 for the Seattle Area Fall Gathering if that would work out for you; we have a bonfire (weather willing) & weenie roast on Friday evening and a potluck dinner on Saturday evening--it's a gathering of FGRV folks and their trailers...there is an open house Saturday AM 10-noonish when we can visit each others' trailers for a peek, and after that we have a "dog tricks & costumes" event in the central field. Rally information is on this site.

BEST
Kai
(Kathleen & Paul
Cinder & Nimble)