Hi, I am Richard - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
Utah
Hi, I am Richard

Howdy, my wife, Carol, gave our then 37 year old Spring Bar tent to our son. I had been counting on that as part of our preparedness equipment. She informed me that our once enjoyable tent camping was now being performed too close to the ground, and I think she's right. Our best friends purchased a 5th wheel Scamp, and my wife suggested we look into a trailer, so we could enjoy the outdoors together. I studied the Scamp so far as to read lots of Scamp forum threads and ran across one intriguing message that said, "We love our Scamp, but it's no Casita." So I looked at the Casita website and fell in love. We purchased our trailer and I drove to the factory to take delivery. The folks at Casita were endowed with Southern hospitality and manners; a touching adornment they placed in our new trailer was a copy of the Bible. Our Casita towed like a dream behind our Chevy Trailblazer on the way home to Utah from Rice, Texas. A couple of years later we pulled an 8.5% grade at 15 mph on the way home from one weekend camp; we decided a new tow vehicle was in store. We bought a used Silverado 2500HD with a Duramax diesel and Allison transmission. We love camping. The Spirit DX is just right for the two of us, one grandchild at a time, and our two Lhasa Apso SND puppies. SND is short for sneaky neighbor dog, a mix of Pug and Short-haired Miniature Dachshund. They are so fun. I love ham radio and am in the process of installing equipment including solar panels for off-grid power. I'll have 2m, 70cm, 220, and HSMM-Mesh in voice, packet, APRS and other data modes, hopefully internet over mobile hotspot. Maybe some video later on mesh.
R Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:55 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I often see Ham Radio setups at campgrounds. Some mount extendable flagpoles (using brackets the pole slips into when parked) on the rear bumpers of their rigs for an antenna mount, others have a stake driven into the ground as a base; guy wired in both cases.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:24 PM   #3

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
Utah
Howdy Charlie,
Thanks for your observations and the examples. I have the makings for a hitch receiver mount mast. I've seen other mast bases that you basically park on top of, either the trailer wheel or towing vehicle wheel (which means you can't run errands.) A driven stake can be a very good temporary mast base when the mast is well guyed.
My antennas will be small verticals. I would hope to make their presence as inconspicuous as possible in deference to other campers. I am also going to try to conceal the antennas behind the fiberglass skin of the trailer, assuring a much lower, even stealthy presence.
I am very impressed with your products for the Casita and other trailers. Your designs are very clever.
Thanks for your contributions to the camping community.
Richard
R Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:03 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Thanks Richard! No need for stealth ham activity when camping - what's the point? Better to mark the guy wires with flags/streamers so those who cut through your campsite don't get tripped and crash your whole construction. Just don't run long wave antennas using trees or the park patrol will bust you.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote