Hi I am Rick just bought 1976 Triple E trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2020, 07:55 PM   #1

Name: Rick
Trailer: . 1976 Triple E Surfside
Saskatchewan
Hi I am Rick just bought 1976 Triple E trailer

I just bought a 1976 Triple E Surfside Fibreglass Camper Trailer. 11 foot long! Not new to trailers but new to fiberglass. Unit is totally gutted so no idea if original floor plan.

Have a lot to learn about fiberglass and coming up with a floor
Attached Thumbnails
DFEA423C-516D-4896-BE5E-83816335D1DD.jpg   668F2F72-0C98-4BF3-8139-A591168BDF87.jpg  

0EC87E5A-F789-4B00-83F6-0149F8CF92A9.jpg   4E803A33-F61B-45A3-B010-4CCB20EDAC71.jpg  

Dice934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Welcome Rick!
Im originally from Toon Town.
You have a PROJECT!
That should keep you busy for a couple days, lol
Lots a help here for the asking.
Happy to see pics, looking forward to following your build.
Fred
Old 05-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #3

Name: PCO6
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
Welcome … and we're in about the same situation. I've had and built several trailers but this my first FG one. It's been fun learning. My Cadet interior looked like yours when I got it and it's only a little more advanced now. Given a choice between fixing up a 30 yr.+ interior or building my own I'm happy that mine was gutted. The first thing I did after doing a lot of cleaning and some FG repairs was to paint the interior white. Among other things it certainly cheered things up!
PCO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:34 AM   #4

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Welcome Rick!
Im originally from Toon Town.
You have a PROJECT!
That should keep you busy for a couple days, lol
Lots a help here for the asking.
Happy to see pics, looking forward to following your build.
Fred
Yes it will keep me busy for a few days for sure. As it is parked in the driveway my wife has given me a deadline. I think I am building my Dog House lol.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:36 AM   #5

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCO6 View Post
Welcome … and we're in about the same situation. I've had and built several trailers but this my first FG one. It's been fun learning. My Cadet interior looked like yours when I got it and it's only a little more advanced now. Given a choice between fixing up a 30 yr.+ interior or building my own I'm happy that mine was gutted. The first thing I did after doing a lot of cleaning and some FG repairs was to paint the interior white. Among other things it certainly cheered things up!
Hi thanks for the reply. What did you put on the walls before you painted it or did you simply paint the fiberglass. I am starting with a good cleaning of exterior and assess the fiberglass while doing so.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:48 AM   #6

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice934 View Post
Hi thanks for the reply. What did put on the walls before you painted it or did you simply paint the fiberglass. I am starting with a good cleaning of exterior and assess the fiberglass while doing so.
I just wire brushed and scraped it then washed it with Lysol. Before I primed it I used an orange spray bomb to ID all of the small holes that needed to be fiberglassed. The paint I used was KILZ Premium Indoor/Outdoor primer/sealer/stain blocker. Just seeing it white and bright was "uplifting'.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:34 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice934 View Post
Hi thanks for the reply. What did you put on the walls before you painted it or did you simply paint the fiberglass. I am starting with a good cleaning of exterior and assess the fiberglass while doing so.
Walls need some kind of covering insulation layer or you are going to get a lot of sweating. Search for marine headliner. There are plenty of choices out there.

FYI, on molded FG trailers, size is measured on the outside from the hitch ball coupling to the rear bumper. I bet yours is a 13 or 14 foot trailer.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:29 PM   #8

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Walls need some kind of covering insulation layer or you are going to get a lot of sweating. Search for marine headliner. There are plenty of choices out there.

FYI, on molded FG trailers, size is measured on the outside from the hitch ball coupling to the rear bumper. I bet yours is a 13 or 14 foot trailer.
Let me clarify in my case. The primer is just the start, it will get a proper interior. By "cheery" I meant the white primer just makes it nicer to work in.
Old 05-03-2020, 03:52 PM   #9

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Welcome to the wonders of Fibreglass

Welcome to the FGRV World. I agree that this project is going to take you "a few days" But if you're anything like the others in the same "boat" you will have a worthwhile challenge.

Addressing the topic of fibreglass and adding cabinetry without popping holes through the shell, i would like to direct you to one of the better companies out there when it comes to fibreglass: West System.

West System has been my go to for fibreglass for 7 years. They offer a fun range of materials for doing fibreglass: resin, hardeners (fast and slow), fillers, dispensing pumps for the resin and hardeners, cloth, tapes, mats, tools and literature.

Here is a link to the Holy Grail in their literature:

https://www.westsystem.com/wp-conten...anual-2015.pdf

I will be following your restoration with interest and will answer any engineering questions that are within my ability. I've worked out how to fasten things without drilling holes if necessary.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:16 PM   #10

Saskatchewan
Quote:

Great thanks for the info. I believe that mine is a 13’ then will measure.

Headliner. I am going to insulate for sure just looking for ideas of what others did. Lots of thinks to learn.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:18 PM   #11

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
Welcome to the FGRV World. I agree that this project is going to take you "a few days" But if you're anything like the others in the same "boat" you will have a worthwhile challenge.

Addressing the topic of fibreglass and adding cabinetry without popping holes through the shell, i would like to direct you to one of the better companies out there when it comes to fibreglass: West System.

West System has been my go to for fibreglass for 7 years. They offer a fun range of materials for doing fibreglass: resin, hardeners (fast and slow), fillers, dispensing pumps for the resin and hardeners, cloth, tapes, mats, tools and literature.

Here is a link to the Holy Grail in their literature:

https://www.westsystem.com/wp-conten...anual-2015.pdf

I will be following your restoration with interest and will answer any engineering questions that are within my ability. I've worked out how to fasten things without drilling holes if necessary.
Awesome thanks for the link and your offer to assist. It is really appreciated and likely required
Old 05-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #12

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCO6 View Post
I just wire brushed and scraped it then washed it with Lysol. Before I primed it I used an orange spray bomb to ID all of the small holes that needed to be fiberglassed. The paint I used was KILZ Premium Indoor/Outdoor primer/sealer/stain blocker. Just seeing it white and bright was "uplifting'.
Thanks that seems like a great idea and a good starting point before adding insulation and wall covering etc.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 1974 Boler and 1988 Bigfoot
Hi Rick I was just looking at yesterday,s topics and there is a 1975 Surfside that has been refurbished by Armadillo trailers. They are located in Enderby Bc. If the link with pictures didn't come through than go to daily topics from May 2nd. Looks like you have a project have fun and keep us up to date..https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...lbums2308.html
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:07 PM   #14

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
Hi Rick I was just looking at yesterday,s topics and there is a 1975 Surfside that has been refurbished by Armadillo trailers. They are located in Enderby Bc. If the link with pictures didn't come through than go to daily topics from May 2nd. Looks like you have a project have fun and keep us up to date..https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...lbums2308.html
Thanks. It looks cool
Old 05-04-2020, 07:17 PM   #15

Registry
+!0 Check out the floorpan on that 1975 Surfside. The front kitchen makes a great plan IMHO. Cabinetry provides a lot of support to the shell, so think about the placement of key cabinets. One reason so many trailers have a closet right next to the door!

Fun project!
Old 05-04-2020, 09:44 PM   #16

Saskatchewan
Quote:
+!0 Check out the floorpan on that 1975 Surfside. The front kitchen makes a great plan IMHO. Cabinetry provides a lot of support to the shell, so think about the placement of key cabinets. One reason so many trailers have a closet right next to the door!

Fun project!
Thanks. I just looked at the floor plans. I now understand the use of cabinets to help support the structure. I am going to figure out just what items I want and need in this and then make a plan to accomplish this.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:00 PM   #17

Saskatchewan
So what do people put on ceilings and walls for insulation prior to installation of cabinets.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:59 AM   #18

Registry
Lots of people use reflectrix insulation topped by marine headliner. I do not think "ensolite" is still available. If so, its a winner. You also have elephant hyde used by Escape. It has a nice smooth surface. Since you are in Canada, I'd give Escape a call first. Certainly a boat sales/service shop should be able to provide marine headliner options, along with google of course.

The beauty of marine products is they are made for wet environments and lots of fiberglass boats out there. I would NOT get a carpet type product.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:15 AM   #19

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Lots of people use reflectrix insulation topped by marine headliner. I do not think "ensolite" is still available. If so, its a winner. You also have elephant hyde used by Escape. It has a nice smooth surface. Since you are in Canada, I'd give Escape a call first. Certainly a boat sales/service shop should be able to provide marine headliner options, along with google of course.

The beauty of marine products is they are made for wet environments and lots of fiberglass boats out there. I would NOT get a carpet type product.
Ok I will look up these products. Looking at pictures of these the walls look so smooth. So would a person adhere by glue the reflectrix insulation to ceilings and walls then cover with headliner ?

I am learning little by little. I am going to start today with a cleaning of the exterior. The top white part is very dirty and rough.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:58 AM   #20

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
I do not think "ensolite" is still available. If so, its a winner.
Actually Ensolite is available, just not in the form originally used in trailers. You can purchase black and beige non-faced or faced with a smooth black surface. Apparently it is used for gym mats and sound insulation in planes, boats and vehicles. Here are some links:

non-faced:
https://www.professionalplastics.com...ITEPVC-NBRFAOM
Ensolite IUO Peel and Stick --- 1 yard (13.875 sq ft) - RAAMaudio Inc.
https://foamforyou.com/ensolite-foam.html

Faced:
https://foammart.com/product/ensolite/
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote