Hi I am Saul - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2015, 12:39 AM   #1
sir

Hi I am Saul

I've just aquired a 1975 boler with a bad frame and cracks in the shell.
Looking to get it road worthy this summer.

Any information on modifications and material to use to build the frame and replace the axle would be awesome.

Hello all and thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:45 AM   #2
sir

Sorry I forgot to mention it is a 13' boler

Old 04-10-2015, 08:24 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
SAUL of TAURSUS? Kidding.... Welcome to FGRV.

There's ALOT of unknowns here. Are you a welder? Certified? Not that you have to be certified but "knotty" (cold) welding can get you in trouble building a frame if you're not use to it. Most trailers...or at least my Scamp which is very similar to the Boler... is built from apx 1-1/2 x 3" steel tubing. Aluminum would be nice but that requires a whole 'nuther world of welding expertise!!

The cracks in the shell is more than likely a derivative of a broken frame. Of course fiberglass resin/cloth would be used to patch that...maybe just the fiberglass resin if it's not a "structural" issue where strength is concerned.

Dexter is a major manufacturer of axles. Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Home I'm sure the entire axle will have to be replaced. Question, do you know if it is a "torsion" axle? (There wont be any springs under it.) I'm 90% certain it probably is.

Not trying to scare you or talk you out of it, just trying to give you a heads-up, but what you're tackling is NOT a small task!! Aesthetics is one thing, but road-worthiness with the axle, frame, body is another! And, if you're going to "contract" having the frame built, you'll have to consider some accelerating costs building it from scratch including installing and aligning the axle.

Good luck!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Hello Saul
Welcome to the forum.

The cracks in you fiberglass shell are the result of the bent / broken frame. Wait until you have the body on a properly designed and constructed frame before repairing those cracks.

The design and construction of the original Boler frame is quite poor, I would not recommend copying the original. I have designed a much improved frame which is documented here Boler Frame Design and Construction

There are a number of additional article on my site that may interest you so surf away, links are in my signiture.

Darral is right that what you have taken on is not a small project, but everything on a Boler is repairable or replaceable, the key is do it safely with limiting factors of cost and time. There have been some top quality work done by members here, even if you have to pay someone to do some work (like welding) it is worth it.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Wow Ian! Just looked at your site. Man...makes me want to build a camper! lol. Good job on your site and VERY thorough. Wish you had a Scamp site that detailed!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #6
sir

Thanks for the replies .

I'm not a certified welder but I know several. I have welded quite a bit but I would not trust myself to weld a trailer frame.

The axle is a leading torsion axle. Should I keep it that way or go with a different style?

I would also like to raise the trailer 3 or so inches. Is this a good idea?

The strengthened frame design looks good.

Thanks for all the information.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:48 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
On my frame it is designed for a trailing axle which is better. Some more reading for you Boler Axles & Brakes this identifies the various start angles and the ride height for clearance. Because your original axle has sagged so much I would recommend deciding using calculations.

Take a look at my trailer, using a 10 deg up start angle with low profile brackets I get 11" clearance to the bottom of the frame & kitchen floor which is more than enough yet the stance of the trailer looks good (in my mind)

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:17 AM   #8

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
Hi Saul, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Boler. You do have some work ahead, as all of us do that tackle reno's. Ian's site is a great resource. Don't be deterred by the challenge, if you can weld you can do this. Meaning if you can learn to weld, you can learn the new skills you need to fix up your Boler.
I suggest you take lots of pictures from all angles at every step. Not only are they a good record for you, folks on this forum love them, you can see your progress and after you are finished someone here will ask you how you did something obscure and you can help them.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote