Hi, I am Shannon. Looking for short FB in WI. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2015, 08:28 AM   #1

Name: Shannon
Trailer: In the market
Wisconsin
Hi, I am Shannon. Looking for short FB in WI.

I'm new to the forum! Shopping for something small (under/around 1000 pounds). Hoping to tow with my Toyota Matrix! Thanks for the add!
ShannonGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:10 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you are looking for an FGRV at or under 1000 lbs I am afraid that you are out of luck unless you can get by with a teardrop sized rig. Some earlier mfgs. weight numbers in that range were, for the most part, hooey....

You didn't mention the year of your Matrix, but apparently some are rated to tow 1500 lbs. What does your owners manual state for maximum towing weight?

There are a number of 13' FGRV's that can be kept under 1500 lbs, but there are also some that can't. Update you info and help will be forthcoming.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:04 AM   #3

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
You might want to check on the Vistabule teardrop.

But even this might be too heavy. Best check your Matrix owner's manual.

Towing Guide - Vistabule
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #4

At 1220 lbs., the Vestabule weighs about the same as an empty Scamp 13', with 6+ times the space of the teardrop. Hmmmmm.....

Old 09-27-2015, 10:17 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler
An Eriba Puck is 12' long and weighs around 900 lbs. They are a combination of fiberglass roof with aluminum sides. There is a company in San Diego that is making a fiberglass replica of the classic German Puck.

California Teardrop Camper & Meerkat Trailer Dealer | Little Guy Trailers

That's probably the lightest fiberglass trailer on the market. I had a Puck and it was a great trailer - they were designed to be towed with VW Beetles and Buses.

Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Meerkata

Yes, they look very nice. However, at 900# (mfr's no.) even if it is accurate, wouldn't allow much stuff to be placed inside. It is surprising how quickly 100# gets used up when adding bed clothes, human clothes, etc.

The 4 Wide Shadow at 700# (on the same link) would be more like it. Several of the teardrop models even exceed 1000#.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:41 AM   #7

Name: Shannon
Trailer: In the market
Wisconsin
Prefer no Teardrop, too small for me and kitty. I have a 2009 Matrix which is a 1500 towing model. Thanks for the replys!
ShannonGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:04 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonGB View Post
I'm new to the forum! Shopping for something small (under/around 1000 pounds). Hoping to tow with my Toyota Matrix! Thanks for the add!
Hi and welcome to the group Shannon. Others have given you some ideas but I think you would be way better off to look at the thread here on "real world trailer weights". Sorry, I don't know how to add that link here but some one else will add it soon. Not sure if you've seen that before. One of our members would take mobile scales to rallies and weigh peoples trailers that are loaded for camping. All of them were WAY over the weights the manufacturers listed. I'm sure there are a couple trailers that would work with your Matrix but your options are going to be very slim with that car.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:09 AM   #9

Here is a link to the real world weights: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

There are a lot of 13' FGRV's that can be pulled with a 1500 lb towing limit. With just one person and a cat, as long as you don't need a fixed bathroom, it should be easy peasy.

Do you have some idea of a budget? Are you looking for new or used? How soon do you want the rig?

Old 09-28-2015, 01:17 PM   #10

Name: Echo
Trailer: SCAMP
Wisconsin
Hey Shannon, I am a fellow camper from Wisconsin and have a 13 ft Scamp and love it. I tow with a 2014 Journey and it does an alright job if the hills are not too big
It weighs in at a little over a 1000 lbs and does not have a bathroom. Good Luck with your search.
Echo 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #11

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Shannon,
I think I might have your RV. It is a 2015 Scamp 13. I purchased this but my Miata is not strong enough to pull it so I need to stay with my Kompact Kamp. I'm not too far from you.........Northwest corner of Illinois. Let me know if you'd like to see it.
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:27 PM   #12

Jim
You might mention if your Scamp has the deluxe interior or the bathroom. Either would make it to heavy for her TV.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:47 PM   #13

Illinois
For sale 13 Scamp

Not deluxe interior , & no shower . As light as I wanted.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:24 PM   #14

Actually I was asking about the bathroom, the shower is a separate option,

Old 09-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #15

Illinois
Hi , I'm Shannon

The only options I've added were a ref. &I an awning , as I wanted to keep the weight at a minimum .
Old 09-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #16

Illinois
Ps. Far from being a geek , how does Shannon contact me ?
Old 09-29-2015, 04:41 PM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Jim, If you click on Shannon's name, you will get a pull down list and you can choose to 'send a private message' to Shannon. She can do the same thing for you.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:28 PM   #18

Illinois
Shannon

If still interested in a 13 Scamp , call me at 1 815 776 9292 . Jim P.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:56 AM   #19
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonGB View Post
Prefer no Teardrop, too small for me and kitty. I have a 2009 Matrix which is a 1500 towing model. Thanks for the replys!

Hi Shannon...

Don't give up on the idea of towing a small, lightweight egg with your vehicle.

There are many here that tow with smallish 4cyl vehicles. Toyota Corolla's, Scion XB's, Acuras, VW bugs, etc. Once you decide on what trailer you want come back to the forum and we can help you with what is needed to connect it safely.

PS.... Looking for a trailer with brakes is highly recommended. Safety, safety, safety!

Good luck with your egg search.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:22 AM   #20

Quote "There are many here that tow with smallish 4cyl vehicles. Toyota Corolla's, Scion XB's, Acuras, VW bugs, etc. Once you decide on what trailer you want come back to the forum and we can help you with what is needed to connect it safely."

Of the examples listed, two of them are rated "Do Not Tow" or "Towing not recommended" and no towing capacity is specified.