Hi I am Shaun and I am new and going to need help. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-26-2021, 02:05 PM   #1

Name: Shaun
Trailer: Uhaul 13
Florida
Hi I am Shaun and I am new and going to need help.

Hi MY wife, Shona and knew nothing about these a week ago and now I own one.

I was looking for a van and she fell in love with these cute little things and won.

Ours is a 1985 Uhaul CT13. Its in fairly decent shape but will need all new electrical and new water systems.

This is where I am hoping to have wisdom from those who have gone before us.

That way i dont end up wishing for something else.
Shaunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:41 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We had a CT13 Uhaul for several years. They are different due to many parts being unique to them, and no longer available. First off ignore anyone that says you should grease the wheel bearings as they are sealed units (unless the axle has been replaced). Lots of things that may need attention unless a previous owner has done it. Tail light wiring can be confusing, side windows typically leak, wheels have a bolt pattern that is different than other trailers. There is some good info in the document center here, and if you are on Facebook there was a good group there with lots of info. If your trailer is mostly original that is good, but I've seen some that were really butchered up. Good luck.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:05 PM   #3

Name: Shaun
Trailer: Uhaul 13
Florida
Thanks
It has not been butchered fortunately.
But I got 3 boxes of “original stuff” that I still need to go through.
It’s in really good condition at my original inspection but he wiring was all converted to 110v with a power strip running everything. So that is my challenge, getting a good 12v system and an inverter and hopefully solar.
I do live full time on a 1975 Hatteras 53 motor yacht so this is just a smaller version of what I put into my boat without the solar.

Then water system is next
Shaunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:37 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The Uhauls originally had a orange box in the right rear which was the power converter. It was powered by 110 volt from the shore power cord which fed through a little push button breaker that was on the 110 outlet mounted at the rear of the overhead cabinet. Totally outdated system. I installed a Progressive Dynamics PD4045 converter that has modern 110 breakers and 12 volt fuses and a smart charger for the battery. I installed a Fantastic Fan in the roof where there was a swamp cooler originally, some extra 12 volt lights, and some more 110 outlets. EDIT: the original solar panel was only intended to maintain the battery while the trailers sat on the rental lot. The campers were only made for a few years starting in 1984 and were sold off in the early 90's when Uhaul figured out renting campers was not a good idea.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote