Hi, I am Swenso - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2019, 06:05 PM   #1

Name: Chandler
Trailer: Casita
Utah
Hi, I am Swenso

Hello, I thought I'd introduce myself.

I bought a 09 17' SD last august from the classified section of this site.

We had stick campers for a few years of my childhood, but I've mostly been a tent camper my whole life. Car camping mostly, but the occasional backpack trip thrown in.

I was very close to buying one of those GeoPro units off a local lot as they got heavily discounted toward the end of the year. Since people tend to have big families in utah, a camper that only sleeps 3-4 is a tough sell. $25k msrp was advertised for $15k. I would have gone that route, but the cheap interior and overall size was too much for me, and my SO had no interest in those models, or really anything with the lack of personality so often found in stick builds.

After we killed the GeoPro idea, I crossed paths with a FGRV at a 4 way stop. It very well could have been the one I ended up buying 2 months later since that one had no identifiers just like mine. I had never really noticed this type of camper before and hadn't come across them in my research (a-frames and pop ups were about my only result in searches under 3,500 lbs). When I got home from that trip I decided to see if the magic of Google could lead me to figure out what that cool thing I had seen on the road was. I tried a few combinations of "round", "retro", and "camper", before finding a webpage on EggCampers and then Burros. I scoured 5 states worth of Craigslist and found not one of those makes, but I did find a SCAMP that was posted with both of those keywords. That listing was the first place I had seen "fiberglass RV" and that is what lead me to search for those words and eventually end up here.

My main reason for wanting a camper was to extend the season from 4-5 months to 8. I don't think that was a big selling point for my SO, but the idea of real mattress and an easier way to keep the dogs with us on the weekends sealed the deal. It didn't hurt that the first FGRV I showed her was one of those pretty pinterest types.

There were two Casita's in Utah for sale at the time, my '09 for $13,500 and a '13 for $12,500. I went for the older model because it was closer to me, included an awning, larger water tank, motorized jack, and more than a handful of smart mods.

We laid down new vinyl plank, sanded, primed, painted all the cabinet doors. That doesn't seem like a lot written out, but it took us a hell of lot of time doing the painting in a small space in the garage.

This year I will try to:
Fix the water tank vent leakage problem
Replace/re-putty the sink drain
Install high clearance spout
Add shelves and waterproof TP holder to the bathroom
Replace burnt out AC capacitor
Get axle serviced

Before I start another thread, any recommendations for a shop in SLC, UT that could repack my bearings? I know most shops 'can' but I'd like to find a shop that I can trust.

Thanks in advance. Nice to meet you all.
elswenso89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:30 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Chandler; I assume you mean you'll replace the kitchen sink faucets with the higher spout. I bought the replacement set from Casita. The water lines had no extra length to them, and although I got them disconnected I could not get them back on. Finally had to pull the sink out so I could get at the connections.
EDIT; check out little house customs for some neat accessories.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote