Hi I am The TravelingGinger - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-08-2016, 07:31 PM   #1

Name: Marissa
Trailer: currently shopping!
Oregon
Hi I am The TravelingGinger

Hi there!

My name is Marissa, but that's not nearly as fun! I joined this group because I'm completely green to this movement. I love the idea of living in a small RV, nothing larger than 25ft, as it's just me.

I am currently about to fly out to Alaska for a job as a tour guide. I'd like to purchase a funky cool, RV in May. I'd like to use it primarily for short trips first and once I'm done with Alaska live in it as I tour around the states to figure out where I would like to live.

I love the old styles and I'm ok with some simple work, but I'm not a mechanic, plumber, or electrician. This being said I'd love to hear from you all about cool looking affordable (>$8000) and hopefully* reliable models.

Thanks for letting me join in!

Marissa
TravelingGinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi Ginger and welcome to the FGRV forum! We are a group of fun-loving owners of Fiberglass RVs. As you can see in our "Gallery" page there is quite an assortment of models, styles and companies. Everyone is sure to respond with their personal favorites. Mine is a 13' Scamp with bunks and porta pottie. That said, you'll see lots of discussion regarding toilet/shower or not. Your decisions largely depend on the kind of camping you plan on doing, your budget, your tow vehicle and more. Hold tight, you'll be getting lots of responses soon!

P.S. Let me know where you'll be a tour guide. I'll be in Alaska in 2017
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Hi TravelingGinger! Your best bet is to keep an eye on the trailers posted here and on Molded Fiberglass Trailer Ads - US | Fiberglass RV's For Sale . Also watch the Craigslist ads near your location in case something comes up suddenly... that way you can jump on it before it goes to the list I referred to previously, because then everyone knows about it.

What will you do if you meet a TravelingSage? Just kidding.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:24 AM   #4

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Welcome....this and other such boards (irv2.com. rvnet.com. Doityourselfrv.com. and others) are great places to gather opinions.
I do not know the name of the company but there is a conventional travel trailer company that has reintroduced several really funky retro-styled travel trailers all under about 20 ft that might appeal to your sense of style.
This board will promote only molded fiberglass over the conventional stick built units. Never limit your search to one type. Do a lot of research and price comparison before you buy. You have much to learn. Ask a lot of questions.
I have been an RV owner since 1983 and I still learn something everyday.

Good Luck and Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:59 PM   #5

Name: Marissa
Trailer: currently shopping!
Oregon
Excellent information thank you!

Ha Ha, if I met TravelingSage I would probably say hi!

TravelingGinger
TravelingGinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #6

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Ginger, Below is a partial list of RV information sites for your continuing education. Another suggestion is to visit a large RV dealership and tour as many travel trailers and small motor homes as you can. The more you see the more you will know. Picture yourself living in each floor plan. Finding the best floor plan for you is very important. Ask a lot of questions.

Sign up for daily and/or weekly free informative emails from some of the better RV sites. Top of my list is the very informative. rvtravel.com. They publish lists of sites that contain a lot of information.

The list:

Rvtravel.com
rvquestions.net
RV-camping.org
RVUSA.com. (Your guide to everything RV)
RV-living-unlimited.com
GORVing.com
Thefitrv.com
rvdreams.com
RV.net

Camping World (view hundreds of new and used RVs for sale).

No shortage of RV and camping websites...all free...to educate and inform.

In general you will find campers as a group are great folks...always willing to help a new member to their fraternity.....welcome aboard and Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote