Hi I am Tucker - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2016, 06:08 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: getting ready
Pennsylvania
Hi I am Tucker

Hello there. my name is Tucker and my wife's name is April. We have 6 kids and 3 grandkids. I am retired from the Army and currently run a private Men's Club. Not what it sounds like. average age of member is 57, Alot like a VFW,Eagles, Elks etc,. Main difference is we are not affiliated with anyone and the members actually own the club. Our youngest son will be headed to the Army in 6 years and that is when April and I will begin our second life together on the road. We actually started out with the idea of being skoolies but over the last year or so of planning I stumbled across a picture of the scamp 19' fifth wheel and our plans changed. I love the idea of small with nothing more than is needed. We are still deep in the planning stages so we are no where near (2years atleast) ready to buy. I am planning on never being able to plug in. Solar for everything and a small custom made woodburner for heat. Also even though I have fallen in love with the idea of a small fifth wheel, I aint infatuated with anything less than 30 gallon of freshwater. also since I never plan to plug in I will have to install a composting toilet instead of a flusher.
Enough for now I look forward to picking everyone's brain since I plan to do all modifications myself and dont currently own a truck.
tucker0719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:55 AM   #2

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Tucker, welcome.
Looks like you have a lot of (fun) research to do. I'm a big fan of composting toilets but don't forget the urine has to be disposed of separately. Thirty gallons of water is a lot. My tank is 12 gallons, which will last several days if I'm careful. If you're towing a 5th wheel you can always carry extra gallon jugs of water in the truck.
I guess what I'm saying is that there is a solution to every challenge and half the fun is being creative and finding things that work for you.
Keep us posted on what you decide to do, even if you don't go fibreglass. Everybody here loves hearing stories
Old 01-25-2016, 10:16 AM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Good luck with your research and planning. Given your time horizons you have time to figure out a good overall plan.

Lot of options, all involve trade offs, few "perfect" solutions so shoot for what seems perfect for you. Folks sometimes have strong opinions on how one should do something or what the ideal solution is. Lot of good information, thought and experience in those opinions but people sometimes come at these things from different perspectives.

I don't know that much about composting toilets but have been a fan in the past of re-cycling toilet. So two tanks, inside under the toilet it recycles like a porta-pottie. Once that tank has been used to exhaustion then open the valve and it dumps into standard RV black water tank for normal disposal. Refill inside recycling tank for next cycle. Main plus is they use less water so extend the time between dumps and allow dumping in the "normal" RV manner. Sort of older technology, not sure how common it is anymore. Like I said lots of ways to skin the cat.

Don't forget to leverage the great outdoors! Even my 13 foot has a large kitchen, dining and living room (with fireplace) once I get the outside set up. :-)

Good luck in your search and research.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote