Hi, I’m Julie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2020, 08:59 AM   #1

Name: Julie
Trailer: Shopping!
Montana
Hi, I’m Julie

My husband and I (married 7 weeks now!) are minimalists in many ways (ultralight backpacking) and are entering the world of fiberglass travel trailers! He is 6’1 so we are in the market for

*13’-15’ model
*At least 6’1” ceiling
*Towing with a Subaru Outback V6 so GVW less than 2,000 ideally
*he would like a wet bath,, I would like to incorporate a “shower in a drawer” to save space
*No furnace or AC (save weight)
*Any year!

We live in SW Montana. I’m hoping for a Burro or a Boler, I love their shapes and interior walls. Not sure how I feel about the rat fur yet!

Thanks to everyone for posts and wisdom. I’ve learned SO much already from these forums!

Julie
Jumigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:48 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
California
Congratuations on your marriage! I am sure you guys will love fiberglass trailer camping. This is our 10th yr of fiberglass trailer camping. Good luck with your quest to find your perfect trailer. Sounds like some very tight tolerances for a light trailer for the Subaru, a mid size truck would open up all kinds of more comfortable trailer sizes for you including a wet bath.
CasitaMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #3

Name: Julie
Trailer: Shopping!
Montana
Thanks CasitaMiner! I think it will be such a fun endeavor. The lifestyle and community seems fantastic. Yep, we are limited by our tow weight, Max 2700 with 200 lb hitch weight. Also why I’d like to simplify things with a pop up shower and portable grey water container for it and the sink. Avoid the need for extra plumbing and parts. It’s two of us with about 160lbs of dog, which is our biggest packing luxury. Otherwise we are pretty light on our feet as travelers.

It is fun to see the remodels and rejuvenated trailers on these forums!
Jumigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:55 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
New York
Congrats on the marriage. Hope you aren’t married to that tow vehicle.
My 17’ Casita Spirit Deluxe has 6-1/2” ceiling ht, weighs about 3500, and needs a TV with 5000lbs towing capacity.
Stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:35 PM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have a 1991 Scamp 16 that we bought used and have traveled for about a decade in all over North America. I am 6'1" and found the Scamp acceptable. In addition we towed with a 2004 Honda CRV 4 cylinder with manual transmission. We do not have roof top AC and never used our gas furnace though we did carry a small electric heater or on occasion a small Buddy Heater. We generally never run heat at night.

The following link shows our Scamp. We typically have traveled 7 months a year for the last 20 years sending 310 days in our Scamp one year. Ginny said idf I ever sell the Scamp she will cry.

The following link is to a description of our Scamp: https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...6-a-46387.html

The biggest complaint I got on the site was our towing with a Honda CRV rated for 1500 lbs. I discovered that in Europe that the identical unit was rated for 3000 lbs. After 10 years of ownership and 250,000 miles we traded in our Honda CRV. The only issue we ever had was a failed thermostat. Same Clutch and never any mechanical problem.

Our tongue weight was 200-210 lbs.

Most everything you might want to know is in the supplied link.

Oh yes we had a side bathroom with a wet shower. Though it was there we typically took our showers in the campground showers. If you have any questions you can always send me a private message.

Wishing you well. We have been on the road for 20 years now. Though we had a great non rving life if I had only known how much fun the lifestyle was, we'd have hit the road much earlier.

Best to you both.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:51 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Waiting on 16" Scamp
Colorado Springs
Why Scamp again?

I've posted under this label before, but I'll reiterate. We ordered a Scamp 16 because a) it is 6' 2" inside; I'm 6' and b) 7' 10" max outside (no A/C). I'm pretty sure I researched Casita at the time and the comparable 17 was 5' 10" inside (seriously?), but now I can't find those numbers. Plus, even at 5' 10" inside it was taller than 7' 10" outside. Casita website is iffy on specs (but maybe I'm not looking in the right place...). I'm sure Casita is a great trailer but they might want to clarify their specs.

To us, it's WAY WAY more important to be able to store our MFGT in our garage than quibbling about which brand; they are ALL better than stick and tin trailers IMHO; been there; done that.

So I was interested to here that maybe Casita isn't truly stating the inside height?; if so, it's to their detriment; there are a lot of 8ft (7' 12") garages out there....

Comments?
mm2670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #7

New York
You won’t fit Scamps and Casitas under the typical 7’ high garage door.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:52 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevieboy View Post
You won’t fit Scamps and Casitas under the typical 7’ high garage door.
Where there’s a will there is away. I used golf cart wheels to get our 13’ Scamp through the door that is 7 foot high.
P.S. Great seeing you posting Norm.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Dave and Paula,

Nice to see your post. Your trick for getting you Scamp in the Garage was truly clever.

Bless you both

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:11 AM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
I made some Fred Flintstone tires from 3 laminates pieces of plywood and OSB scraps I had Laying around. I made a template in Autocad and printed the pattern for the holes. The work great, the trailer moves around the shed with little effort due to the very low friction. Similar to train wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
wood tires - Edited.jpg  
Old 08-06-2020, 10:50 AM   #11

New York
I’ve seen dollies used also, to get trailers through a 7’ garage door opening.
But no go I think, if you have a rooftop ac unit.

I rent garage space that has an 8’ high opening and contemplated buying a 16’ foot Casita that would have just made it.

Then bought the 17’ which at 8-10, would require a 9’ door.

We live outside.