Hi! Iím Mary Jo with Comet and Blackie - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2020, 09:11 AM   #21
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
I am planning on getting a WiFi camera for the back of the Scamp. I think one of the Scamp videos advises against running propane unless parked but I’ll probably read them all over again a few times. The various advice is interesting tho. Unless I was being in one place for a few days, I wouldn’t need the frig. I’d go get a cold Pepsi for my nightly rum coke. I do believe that it won’t take me long to adjust to driving with the Scamp but I am planning on a learning curve, if however brief. Oh, I’ll be so glad when the day comes when I can go get it !!! Thanks for looking things over. People are so different. I know that if I would loan the Scamp to my oldest son, he would make all sorts of modifications so I hope I don’t offer. His ‘modifications’ are expensive to repair. Hope you’re having a vice Labor Day, I plan to go to a large RV Park on the coast of Maine, probably after spring ‘21.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:55 AM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escapeó 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
I am planning on getting a WiFi camera for the back of the Scamp. I think one of the Scamp videos advises against running propane unless parked but Iíll probably read them all over again a few times. The various advice is interesting tho. Unless I was being in one place for a few days, I wouldnít need the frig. Iíd go get a cold Pepsi for my nightly rum coke. I do believe that it wonít take me long to adjust to driving with the Scamp but I am planning on a learning curve, if however brief. Oh, Iíll be so glad when the day comes when I can go get it !!! Thanks for looking things over. People are so different. I know that if I would loan the Scamp to my oldest son, he would make all sorts of modifications so I hope I donít offer. His Ďmodificationsí are expensive to repair. Hope youíre having a vice Labor Day, I plan to go to a large RV Park on the coast of Maine, probably after spring Ď21.
I made a poor assumption and I apologize
We seldom go out to eat or to have drinks when at home ,or when traveling or camping and now with Covid itís closer to never
We usually eat at our campsite and our refrigerator is normally full of food & beverages
When traveling / camping in the Summer , keeping things cool can be an issue
When traveling / camping in the Winter , keeping things from freezing can be an issue .
As far as running your refrigerator on propane while traveling , that subject has been debated on this forum over and over so I will let you decide
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:32 AM   #23
MJo

Massachusetts
No apologies, I appreciate all information, some I can’t follow up on because of cost, others I don’t because I don’t know how to, others I’m too limited in my understanding to understand, others because there is so much information out there. I take all suggestions and information in the spirit it is given and really am grateful that you take the time to consider my dilemma. Happy Labor Day
Also, I’m the only “human” with me, so cooking is sort of limited. When I get enthusiastic and buy stuff, it sits in the refrigerator and rots. My family is off somewhere, spouse in Arlington, sons in VA and AR (AZ?). So I’ll see what I can do because I don’t think I’ll get a microwave oven. Maybe I’ll learn to cook, again. MJo
Old 09-07-2020, 11:04 AM   #24
MJo

Massachusetts
Both see their vet q 6 months and get their rabies. ?bordetella, isnít that kennel cough? Comet does get his Heartguard and Frontline, Blackieís always inside and heís so old and skinny and has diabetes, hypertension and hyper thyroidism (and wonít take his medicine) so I limit his shots but he will get his rabies shot and probably some other cat shot for the trip. What kind of dog and cat do you have?
Old 09-07-2020, 11:30 AM   #25

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
CA
Picking up Scamp in Backus.

It's a good way to start a vacation. There is a nice campground in Backus, a couple of restaurants (status due to Covid-19 unknown). There is a very good supermarket and hardware store with a lot of RV supplies half a mile north of Scamp. If you get there too late to pick up your rig, there are some motels in Hackensack (8.5 miles north, I haven't inspected them). Do NOT stay at the Rodeway Inn a few miles south. Awful!

The staff at Scamp is helpful. Tip: Before you leave Backus, check everything twice. I thought I did but was surprised three days later when I stayed at a campground without electrical hookups. The two 20 amp fuses in line with the battery and converter/charger were blown. It wasn't apparent while on shore power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
Iím waiting for my 13Ē Scamp to be finished and deciding whether I want to make the trip to MN from Cape Cod with my dog. Can anyone tell me what itís like to go to MN and pick up their Scamp? Thanks, Iím looking forward to my first Scamping trip. MJo
Damp Scamp Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:56 AM   #26
MJo

Massachusetts
Thanks for the information. I just assumed I’d pick up the Scamp and be on my way back but maybe that won’t happen. I’ve been stocking up on stuff, RV cleaner, hitch lock, and now will get a surge protector, fuses. I like to be prepared, panics are too difficult and since I’ll be alone except for faithful companion Comet dog, of course and Blackie, cat. It’s going to be difficult going to MN and WI with all that’s been going on. I live in a relatively safe part of the country. MJo
Old 09-08-2020, 06:39 AM   #27
MJo

Massachusetts
Yes, Iíll be watching for the rally in NH. Where in NH is it? I went to school in Concord, my sister lives in Newington. I did order a cover for the Scamp with my original order, the Scamp is so cute, I wanted to keep it from getting dirty. I live near a marina, so Iím going to see what they do to protect the fancy boats they have. I havenít bought the extension for my trailer hitch yet, to bring it up to 18Ē I have to check and see what else I need to do.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:13 PM   #28

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
The N.H. rally is in May at the Chocorua KOA. I'm not sure of the exact date but I'm sure Gerry will be posting it here when it gets set up. Karin
Kardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:20 PM   #29
MJo

Massachusetts
rally

thank you. Iíll be waiting to hear the date. where is Chocorua ? MJo
Old 09-09-2020, 06:43 AM   #30

Maine
It's south of Conway just off of Hwy 16. South of the White Mountain Nat'l Forest. Canceled of course this year but we are looking forward to next.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:40 PM   #31
MJo

Massachusetts
I thought I could just pull the Scamp into my back yard for the winter but now I find its more complicated than that. ??
Old 09-11-2020, 05:15 PM   #32

Maine
winterizing

Are you talking about the winterizing? it isn't all that complicated.We got our instructions originally off the web from Scamp (you tube) we do pull the battery and store it in the cellar, If you don't fill the tanks for the trip home, you dont have to winterize them for the first winter (that's Don's advice, he also suggested you check with Scamp) We also jack it up (wheels off the ground) jack under the frame not the axle. And make sure it's level with the wheels chocked so it can't roll. Then we cover the tires and the trailer. Karin
Old 09-11-2020, 06:48 PM   #33
MJo

Massachusetts
I donít have to use the Scamp coming back, I can wait and figure it out when I get home, unless I can figure out how to limit the use. I think the Scamp videos explain winterizing with special anti-freeze I think I can buy on Amazon. Do you ever do all of this or does Don do it all? Iím Ďhusband-lessĒ and not a Ďspring chicken,í old, but in pretty good health but Iím not an amazon either. I was planning on putting it under the deck overhang in front of my garage, but I measured and Iím about 10 inches too low. I wish I could afford to have a roof built for it or buy one of those steel canopies, but I have to work with what I have. i did order the cover with the Scamp and Iíll look for the wheel covers, the Scamp store may have them. I am going to get a large tarp to put over it also. I have to look for a jack to jack the frame up on Amazon or I guess Auto Zone or NAPA ? The one that came with my car is useless. I thought I could buy 2 of those little plastic stools to put on each side so it doesnít tip over. ?? thanks for giving me all this advice, thereís nothing like experience with something like this. MJo
Old 09-12-2020, 07:09 AM   #34

Maine
not sure what you mean by 'little stools' but we use jack stands under the trailer. Me and my husband are both 70, he does most of the vehicle work with me flitting around the edges. I did it myself for about 20 years when I was single, between husbands and drove older, iffy cars, two kids and not a lot of money. But the winterizing isn't hard and I put a list to follow in the trailer. The trailer cover we got from Scamp (Classic) works very well and we can access the trailer with it on so I'm not sure you need the tarp. Hope to meet up with you sometime, maybe in N.H. Stay well, Karin
Old 09-12-2020, 07:19 AM   #35
MJo

Massachusetts
Hi Iím Mary Jo

Glad to hear youíre Ďseasoned.í Iím 85 so I am glad youíre not 25, youíre thinking cautious but enjoy like I am. Jack stands. Good. I know about them, I have them, just have to get my old boat off of them. Thanks, now to just get the Scamp before I panic and cancel. Thank you for all the solid information.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:03 AM   #36

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardon View Post
.. Of course it's up to you but we never run propane while we're driving. it's an unnecessary risk. .. Karin
Very often incorrect. I tried it.. in summer MY fridge gets warm pretty quick and takes too long to re-cool. There is no DC option. Running it on propane is a necessary risk if I dont want my food spoiled. Yes there is risk... its very small. Texting drivers are much more of a threat. YMMV, thats my situation. Its also why I bought a portable Danfoss type fridge to run on DC or AC.. its small but a good back up and allows me to forgo the camper's fridge altogether for short trips.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:57 PM   #37

Maine
As I said, it's up to you. I'll take the spoiled food over a slight chance of a propane accident..Oh, I never text while driving either.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:13 PM   #38
MJo

Massachusetts
Me too.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:50 AM   #39

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida