Hi, I'm 74 graduating from a tent - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-07-2020, 04:53 PM   #1

Name: Susan
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Michigan
Lightbulb Hi, I'm 74 graduating from a tent

Well at 74, after two knee replacements it is definitely a struggle to get up off of the ground! Rather hilarious to watch me try to get in and out of a tent and stand up when I get out.

So now I am looking for an off ground way to camp. Love these little fiberglass trailers For now while looking I may sleep in the back of my Nissan Xterra suv.
kontiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #2
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
Me too, Susan. I couldn’t see how i was going to put up my 1966 Sears tent by myself after some broken parts also. So I’m getting the 13 ft Champ. Will Be a lot easier and safer too. Let us know what you decide. MJo
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Waiting on 16" Scamp
Colorado Springs
Love to camp; tents? No....

Yep! I agree! After a major medical event in 2019 I had to relearn how to get up off the floor, so no tents for us. We have a 16 Scamp on order for December and are looking forward to that for camping. Actually, even when I was younger sleeping in a tent with an iffy mattress never really all that attractive. Enjoy!
mm2670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:16 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I’ve been fortunate in that other than a knee scope ten years ago i am doing ok but not great. My son and i drug a large deer out of the woods three years ago. It was dark. At the edge of the woods just as we got to a farm field, I tripped over a small log and fell out into the picked soy bean field. My son had the light and saw me crawling in a circle back to the edge of woods. “What are you doing Dad? He asked. I said “I gotta find a small tree to use my arms to stand back up”. He laughed. I sat down on the log and said, “Here’s the keys, walk back to the vehicle and get the cart and bring it back while I rest up.” He’s good though, never mentions it in company.
You do get old, no matter what. But it’s better than the alternative or giving up.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:52 AM   #5

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
Thumbs up to you, Iowa Dave. Much better to adapt to age and it's changes than to give up. I'm 72 and full time in my Casita 16'. Love it, though COVID is putting a kink in my travels.
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #6
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
I’m 85 and planning to do a lot with my Scamp, maybe only from May to maybe November. I don’t think age should have much to do with it unless you’re one of those people who are just waiting until they can sit and watch tv. Of course, I guess you could do that with a Scamp. Lisle, full time? what’s it like? Do you travel around or are you mostly in one place? Where have you gone? Great that you’re freed from taking care of a house, yard, etc. MJo
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:50 PM   #7

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontiki View Post
Well at 74, after two knee replacements it is definitely a struggle to get up off of the ground! Rather hilarious to watch me try to get in and out of a tent and stand up when I get out.

So now I am looking for an off ground way to camp. Love these little fiberglass trailers For now while looking I may sleep in the back of my Nissan Xterra suv.
We are south of Grand Rapids if you want to see our 16' Casita. We loved the pop up camper but really love the Casita with bathroom!!! We both had to give up sleeping on the ground. Having a ready made bed is wonderful. Take a nap any time we want to.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:18 PM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: Casita
New Hampshire
It ain't the years, it's the miles.....
Jim in NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #9

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
Hi MJo,

Full time is great. I love my little turtle home. I started out last fall to travel the country and got as far as California when COVID hit. Was camped in a cousin's driveway for 7 weeks waiting to see if I could continue my planned travel to parks up the west coast. When it became evident that sightseeing across the country had gotten quite a bit harder, I made a beeline for New England, where I have friends and family. Have done a few short trips to park campground this summer, and mainly camped in driveways where I can visit with folks outside and socially distanced.

Heading quickly across country was no problem. I mainly stopped at Walmarts and truck stops. The only time I was inside was at a grocery store once a week, which I would do wherever I am. Was able to camp in a couple friends' driveways to break up the trip.

Even when state or park travel restrictions don't prevent going somewhere, the carefree wandering isn't as easy. Most inexpensive campgrounds (parks) are reserved, ie. going to be packed. So even if I can get a spot, is it safe? I did go to a state campground last week where they were only allowing campers in every other campsite to limit crowds. That was lovely -- spacious and quiet. I don't blame people for wanting to get out into nature, I just don't want to feel crowded on trails, beaches, etc.

What to do this winter is a big question. I may have to winterize my sweet camper and rent a room for a few months. Still hoping my volunteer application for Feb-April at Big Bend National Park in TX will come through.

Lisa
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:02 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
Welcome Susan! Fiberglass travel trailers ARE a GREAT way to camp. I started with a new, 2010 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe that I could pull with the 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan I then owned. Scamps, Escapes, and Bigfoot "eggs" I believe are all still in production and, because "eggs" have such great longevity, LOTS of used "eggs" become available each year. My Casita was basically a small studio apartment on wheels. Over a four year span, I criss-crossed the country multiple times putting over 50,000+ on my "egg" before graduating to a Super-C based RV that I now full time in. If you haven't checked www.rvtrader.com yet, take a look. Virtually ANY type of RV you can imagine will be on that site. If a fiberglass trailer will suit your needs, get a copy of Eileen Glick's book "Casita Travel Trailer Owner's A to Z Guide". Much of the information contained within will apply to most fiberglass travel trailers. Another great resource is https://littlehousecustoms.com . LHC is largely focused on fiberglass trailers. It's was founded by Larry & Debbie Gamble who have retired. It is now run by their daughter and son in law. Oliver makes a really nice upscale fiberglass trailer but, Olivers are heavier and more expensive than the other brands I've mentioned. Gather your facts and, when you've decided on what you want to buy, be ready to act quickly as "eggs" tend to sell quickly in the used market. Again, WELCOME!
Regards,
John
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:38 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Quote:

I don't want to tent any more either. I just want to see a Casita before trying to buy one, but there is no near me that is willing to show theirs.
I'm 57 and have had both knees done twice, two partials at 38 which broke, then two full revisions. No tents for me either. We rent cabins, but want a fiberglass trailer now. By the way, a 2" thick rubber pool float is a great thing to use for kneeling or laying on the ground when you need to
Oldballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:53 AM   #12

Name: Ed
Trailer: Escape 19'
California
I had a Scamp and now an Escape trailer. Great way to travel. However, there is a certain amount of set up and take down you have to do and I am often down on the ground on my knees. It's not yet an issue for me but if it was I'd consider getting a travel/camper van for excursions. Rented one in Iceland for an 11 day trip and for one or two people they are great.
ef_davila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:11 AM   #13

Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Carolina
Aching knees

Another agree! The doc, after repairing my left knee, told me to quit backpacking. As it was about the only thing keeping me sane, I had a large problem with it. One 50 mile hike convinced me that unfortunately, he was right. So, at 63, got a Scamp. Still studying ways to use it more, found out that forest service roads in NC are boondocking areas. Several of those near some good fishing locations, and a friend has a lot down by the beach. Ask around, you may find that friends have properties where you can boondock. My wife likes the beach, I prefer mountains, so we alternate. With a Scamp, you will probably get lots of questions about the camper. My wife, who considers "roughing it" to be a hotel room where the TV remote does not work, enjoyed our first outing, as lots of folks admired the Scamp. They do attract attention. She likes to be near water, so I find areas near some of our lakes and rivers, and a couple of trips to the beach. Not too easy to backpack into a place and have air conditioning! The Scamp does well, the wife is happy, and I am still somewhat sane.

Derswede
Derswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:18 AM   #14

Name: BJ
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21' Formerly 2015 Escape 19'
Wisconsin
Getting up, getting down, getting old

I have 3 artificial joints, one hip and 2 knees. The standing joke in our house is that with one more, I will have to be sent to recycling when I die, not a funeral home. I do know how to get up, but as it was aptly put, it ain't pretty.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:39 AM   #15

Name: Richard
Trailer: Escape
United States
I know your pain, have been there and have moved on.

Quote:

In 2014 I had two knee replacements: on in February and the second in December. I have been an avid camper for most of my life. Bicycle touring in Europe, hiking and backpacking in Colorado and New England. I would always joke that I had a fantastic time screwing-up my knees. Two years ago on a camping trip out west we were banned from camping in Glacier. Fires in the park had forced grizzlies to forage in campgrounds and we found out that soft sided campers (tents) were banned. We made the decision at that juncture to purchase a trailer. I did an incredible amount of research, found out quickly that most mass produced trailers in the US were not high on quality and decided to look at privately owned lower production companies. We looked at Scamp, Casita , Badger and a few others. We settled on Escape out in Chilliwack, BC, had our 19' trailer built and picked it up last June. We are extremely happy with our purchase, and now I do not have to struggle getting up in the morning or plopping into bed a night. It has allowed me the ability to extend my love of adventure and camping.

Hope that this helps. If you are looking for quality, look into the smaller production, privately owned companies I think that you will be happy that you did.

Dick
Richard II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #16

Trailer: 1992 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
The moment that turned us around from a VW camper which we loved was a hot summer day camping with friends. One had an 19 ft Airstream and the other a Bigfoot. Both had AC and Bathrooms! The light went on! We now have a 17ft Casita SD and love it.
My husband cried as our 1990 VW was driven down out driveway
Martha Effinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:03 PM   #17

Name: Herb
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th Wheel
TX
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in NH View Post
It ain't the years, it's the miles.....
I know and feel the pain Jim. I purchased a 2010 19' 5th wheel Scamp. Has room and very comfortable. light weight as well. Don't want a 5th wheel try the Scamp 16 foot bumper pull. They are very nice as well.
Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:40 PM   #18

Name: Susan
Trailer: In the market.
New Mexico
Have you discovered the Feldenkrais method of getting up off the ground? I never hesitate to get on the ground since I found this marvelous way of getting up without any strain on the knees or quad ligaments. Find practice Rx on YouTube, free.
Susan.
ABQ Suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:00 PM   #19

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
Florida
Camping after 70 an knee replacements

Camping after surgery and aging does have areas where one does not want to compromise. I see the vehicle is a Nissan Xterra which would be great for pulling a small fiberglass trailer. I came into it sort of backwards as I spent 12 years as power of attorney for my stepfather and got tired of relying on motels and friends when I made trips fro FL to Michigan. I had the knees done then an accodent at home that required spine surgery and rehab. The 17 foot Casita SD handled it all well. Things did change when he passed last year so I have reconfigured the trailer better for camping with my wife.

So, something to consider would be who do you camp with and what may be the needs of the other person especially during sleep hours. The redo here allows either of us to get up and use the bathroom without disturbing the other. Also I have to use a CPAP which means I have the rear bed while my wife uses the side dinete bed. It works for us.
JaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:28 PM   #20

Name: Blaine
Trailer: Aritocrat Landcommander
Washington
Have replaced both hip and both knees. Life is good. I can play tennis, again. Well, I can, again, after I recover from my Rotator Cuff surgery next Thursday. Get a trailer. Camping is fun. But not crawling out of a tent to walk to the Latrine at night in the rain. I got lucky and found a 55 year old Aristocrat LandCommander [I sneek into this fiberglass forum for knowlege! ty] and Life is great. The 55 year old refrigerator doesn't work. But it makes a great cooler.
Woof70 is offline   Reply With Quote