Hi I'm - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-24-2021, 11:36 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita
AZ
Hi I'm

Hi I'm Tom Sher from Arizona. We are about to head out on our maiden voyage in our new Casita Freedom Deluxe 17' . How can we store stuff safely outside the compartments in the trailer while towing? We've heard stuff gets bounced around a lot.
Tom Sher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:51 PM   #2

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
What stuff?
There are ways to secure a bicycle and ways to store socks and undies.
More information would help.
In general, you want to store heavy stuff ( cast iron fry pans ) down low and as close as possible to the axle. Light stuff, like socks and undies can go in an upper cabinet.
Spices are stored in a cool, dark place.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:18 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I’m certainly not any kind of an expert but like Glenn said the canned goods and dense objects stay on the floor. We use plastic tubs of varying sizes, bungee cords, the small expandable camco bars that keep things from sliding around. No more glass than is necessary. I’ve used a spare cooler just as a beer keeper to assure glass stays safe. We put pop, water and beer in six pack holders to keep them from clinking and squeaking. The tighter things in boxes fit together the less they slide around or tip over.

It will take a few trips and hopefully no tipping tragedies and you’ll get on to it. Simple bungees. Pieces of heavy cord and light rope come in handy. Easy does it across rural railroad crossings, bridge expansion joints and washboard roads. Avoid potholes and animal carcasses by paying attention to the task at hand. The time you will lose cleaning up spills once you get to your destination will exceed the time lost in careful packing and driving X miles per hour faster on rough roads. Easy does it.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:43 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Tom! Another Arizonan here, White Mountain area (Pinetop).

As I’m understanding your question, you’re planning to carry some bulky items on the floor, no? I’m guessing they’re things you will unload when you get to camp and use outside? We often carry a large ice chest, some camp chairs, a portable awning, a bin of set-up stuff (chocks and leveling blocks), and a small portable bbq. They ride fine sitting on the floor. Ours has carpet, but if you have vinyl and are concerned about sliding around or scuffing, put down a rubber-backed throw rug or use pieces of gripper pad. Things that are unstable or have sharp edges should go in a bin or box. First time, stop and check after a few miles and see how they’re doing. Common sense, really.

As the others have suggested, it takes more work to keep stuff inside the cabinets from getting scrambled. I lined all the cabinets with gripper pad and gather small items into bins. The higher in the trailer and closer to the back, the more movement. Stick with lightweight stuff there. Heavy stuff low and centered. It took a few trips to get it all figured out.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote