Hi, I'm a new member...Lesley from California - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2017, 03:58 AM   #1

Name: Lesley
Trailer: In the market!!
California
Hi, I'm a new member...Lesley from California

Hi, I am Lesley, a retired nurse seeking fun camping in the Sierra Nevada Range and along the Pacific coastline. My 4 Runner can tow 3000 lb but I've been recommended to keep the weight (towing( under 2500 lb in order to drive with more ease (engine) into higher elevations. So, I'm searching for a Scamp (or similar- I just like the looks of the Scamp and the availability of a toilet/shower in many models...13 or preferably 16'. I'm already enormously enjoying scanning this website and am excited to have discovered it and to have been accepted as a member!! Thank you! - Lesley aka 1camperqueen
1camperqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #2

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Lesley, welcome. We also live in Kalifornia, Santa Rosa. Lake Tahoe and Santa Barbara are our favorite places. We just got a 17' Casita. I don't know which motor you have in your 4Runner but for mountain towing I would recommend at least a 6cyl. Many here might recommend a towing capacity of 5K lbs. A larger margin or safety factor is good.
We also looked at 13' and 16' and am glad we chose the 17'. Of course there are 2 adults and a Beagle. The size trailer will depend on what you are comfortable in, how much you can afford and how often you will use your TT.

Many folks start with shorter trailers and step up later. A 13' Scamp or Casita is measured from the rear bumper to the end of the tongue, so actual living space is less than stated length.

If you have the opportunity, visit a rally and tour many trailers, talk to many owners and you will have fun. This is a great group who will welcome you
with much enthusiasm.

Have fun with your search. If you decide to purchase new, there is a considerable wait time. If you shop used, no wait time but you gotta be prepared to act fast.

Happy hunting,

Mark
Old 10-06-2017, 08:39 PM   #3

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
If you are looking to buy new -- remember that Scamp has a very long wait time. I think it is now in the 10-12 month area. That means if you go new, you won't have it for next season. There are some really nice used ones out there though, and even the ones that are close to the new price are still good deals if you want it for next year.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:57 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Lesley!

I, too, was wondering about the year and drivetrain (engine & transmission) of your 4Runner. A 3000# rating could be somewhat marginal for mountain towing, depending on your performance expectations. A Scamp 16 typically weighs 2500-2600 pounds with the usual options and packed for travel.

I'd discuss the plan with a trusted mechanic who has some knowledge of your vehicle and its condition. If it's an automatic, I'd discuss whether it would benefit from an auxiliary transmission cooler. You might also check out the towing section of a 4Runners owner's forum and perhaps even pose the question there. Tow ratings rarely tell the whole story, and ideally you want to hear from someone who has towed with the same vehicle and drivetrain.

Scamp 16s are great little trailers. If you anticipate using the bathroom a lot, the front bath is more usable. If it's only for occasional use, the side bath allows for more galley space. The main dinette bed is pretty small for two, at 45"x76" in all 16' standard layouts. The deluxe (wood interior) models have a wider 54" bed, but they're a bit heavier, more expensive, and harder to find used. If you're traveling solo, the front sofa makes a nice single bed, leaving the dinette free for day use.

Lots to consider, but the best way to decide is to tour some actual trailers. A rally is one way- most can accommodate a day visit, and owners are usually happy to show off their trailers. Some even have a scheduled open house time. Another is to work with Scamp's sales department. They have a referral program to set you up with a nearby owner for a demo.

Happy egg hunting!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote