Hi I'm Annie - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2020, 11:59 AM   #21

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
I have a 1987 MITY-LITE popup fiberglass trailer for sale, very rare $10,000.
Check out pics on website under brand names for an idea of what they are. We towed easily behind 03 Forester, including off-road. Located in Tacoma WA.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:32 PM   #22

Name: Matt
Trailer: Travco
Nevada
Congratulations I’m a recently retired firefighter who grew up in Northern California. Hope you enjoy retirement. Took me about a year to mellow out. Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfem View Post
And I've owned about 5 vintage travel trailers and teardrops over the years and now I'm ready to try on a fiberglass trailer. I'm a retired firefighter in Northern California and I enjoy adventuring around with my trust Camp dog: Sailor Moon Pie.
Mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:57 PM   #23

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Ironfem, I'll give you the same advice I give everyone buying their first FG trailer (even though you have a head start with your previous trailer experience.) The first thing you need to do is sit down and make a list. It should have at least three categories, including the features you absolutely demand and can't do without, the features that would be nice but are optional for you, and surprisingly, the things that you can do without or even don't want to have present.

Once you have a list, look at the various trailers available and start checking boxes... this is not yet the trailers themselves, only the specs on them.

Then and only then start looking at trailers that fit your pre-ordained list. Use one of the checklists that are posted here on what to look for as far as condition issues and since you have already homed in on a brand or brands, you will know what potential trouble spots they have.

With your previous experience in older trailers you will be able to make a well informed decision and hopefully get just what you want and need. Lots of luck to you!

Charlie the Frog
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:18 PM   #24

Name: Robert
Trailer: Casita
SD
Hi Annie

I'm a firefight too just to "old" to retire. Last year I went from the Black Hills of South Dakota in Jan. to Rice Texas went through a small blizzard here and a ice storm in Oklahoma. I got a new 17' Casita Spirit deluxe I got the Furnace,and the high lift Suspension. It has a shower and W/C. I went with this because the fiberglass goes all round no wood to the weather I'm going to keep this for many years it hold it's value very well. and it weights under 2300. The aerodynamic so wind does not affect very much. Just under $20,000. I hope you find what you are looking for. P. S. I grew up in Cambria, Ca on the coast highway 1.
RCF13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:45 PM   #25

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Not sure about that weight above. Have you run it across a scale? I had a Casita 17 that weighed quite a bit more.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:23 PM   #26
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Not sure about that weight above. Have you run it across a scale? I had a Casita 17 that weighed quite a bit more.
Yes. Perhaps it's a typo? 3200 wouldn't be far off... although the hitch weight is also a consideration.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:43 PM   #27

Name: STEVE
Trailer: 2007 Casita 17' Freedom
CO
Hi Annie, Congratulations on moving to a fiberglass RV... you won't regret it!
I have a 17 ' Freedom deluxe and love it... the curve chairs are great for playing a musical instrument! Happy Trails!
stevescrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:58 PM   #28

Name: Robert
Trailer: Casita
SD
Hi Annie

The dry weight for my Casita before I added heater and larger water tanks was 2280
RCF13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:09 PM   #29

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500
Registry
Hi there Annie and welcome to the forum. As you can see by how many here have owned more than one fiberglass trailer. Some of us bought any that we could find when we started looking if it had good solid frame and was complete. If you can get one cheap enough you can use it for a year of two and do some improvements and continue to look for another brand or model you like better and sell the first one and not be out any money. Most any money you spend on it for repairs or upgrades will increase its value.

Our first was a small very early scamp that I bought in the dark, 9pm, for $500 and dragged it home with no tail lights. It was rough to say the least. I mostly cleaned it up and got the lights working and put on some used car tires and camped in it about 4 times and the frame broke just in front of the door where the older scamps did. We were able to tow it home 100 miles. When I got home that night, I looked on Craigslist and found a 1979 Trillium 1300 for sale for $1500 just 70 miles away, and call and went right over the next day to see it and bought, towed it home. The next day, a person stopped by my place because he saw the scamp and wanted to buy it. I told him what was wrong with it and that I wanted $1500 for it as is. He bought it a towed it home. He fixed it then took it 400 miles to use it for deer hunting.

We used the 1300 Trillium for 2 1/2 years about 15,000 miles, and my neighbor told me about a 1980 Trillium 4500 for sale for $2500 that was in excellent condition and garaged about 40 miles away. I call the owner and setup an appointment to see it the next day. Got the cash out of the bank and headed down to see and buy it. When I saw it I couldn't believe how nice it was. Told him I would take it and he said ok. Paid him and got the title, hooked up and towed it home. So now I have two Trilliums in my yard. We sold the 1300 for $3900 a month later and have used the 4500 for over 15 years and 60,000 miles 25 states and Canada, mostly boondocking. I would guess it's worth $5,000 to 7,000 now, this model has the front half bath, toilet and lavatory, and 305 watts of solar on the roof.

Just about any older fiberglass trailer, Trillium, Casita, and some others hold their value or in times like this go up in value if not damaged and are in fair to good condition. Everyone on here that has one knows what they are worth if they are structurally sound. Everyone I have owned was worth more than what I paid and went up in value. They tow so nice even in the wind when loaded right.

If you find any older fiberglass for sale go to see it immediately or it will be gone. Repairs are easy on most things because they are basic and this forum has all the help you will need. Most of us have been down the repair road on ours and also helping others with theirs and enjoy doing it.
ROBERT ONEILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:08 AM   #30

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Weights in the real world gives you a lot of data on actual weight of these trailers.

Catalog or brochure dry weights do not include any options, and typically do not include batteries either. And of course, no one tows a trailer totally empty, no options, no batteries. Real world weights are more indicative of what you should see.

Given the description above on the Trillium 4500, I’d put the value more like $8,000 to $10,000 US
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:52 AM   #31

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
You should also look at Lil Snoozy for a used one or Snoozy 2 for a new one. They don't have propane from the factory but can be added. I built mine from an empty shell. It's a great shell to work with. Tows great, weighs 2500 lb empty, 3000 lb loaded.