Hi I'm Annie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2020, 08:21 PM   #1

Name: Annie
Trailer: Looking
California
Hi I'm Annie

And I've owned about 5 vintage travel trailers and teardrops over the years and now I'm ready to try on a fiberglass trailer. I'm a retired firefighter in Northern California and I enjoy adventuring around with my trust Camp dog: Sailor Moon Pie.
Ironfem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:17 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Welcome Annie, and good luck in your search for a fiberglass trailer.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:35 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Annie!

You’re an experienced rehabber and know what to look for in a vintage trailer, so all that remains is to wish you success in your “egg” hunt!

P.S. Since you’re into vintage style and now fiberglass, check out www.relictrailers.com just for fun. One-piece fiberglass, classic 1960’s mold, vintage style interior, great back story. You may have already seen it, because I think the company makes the rounds of vintage trailer events.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Welcome, Annie!

You’re an experienced rehabber and know what to look for in a vintage trailer, so all that remains is to wish you success in your “egg” hunt!

P.S. Since you’re into vintage style and now fiberglass, check out www.relictrailers.com just for fun. One-piece fiberglass, classic 1960’s mold, vintage style interior, great back story. You may have already seen it, because I think the company makes the rounds of vintage trailer events.

Check out this site ( all fiberglass trailers)

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfem View Post
And I've owned about 5 vintage travel trailers and teardrops over the years and now I'm ready to try on a fiberglass trailer. I'm a retired firefighter in Northern California and I enjoy adventuring around with my trust Camp dog: Sailor Moon Pie.
Hi Annie,
I'm selling my 1992 16' Casita Spirit Deluxe. Sleeps 3, toilet, shower, sink and stove. Solar panels to charge batteries and more. $5500. I'm in Mendocino...
Alan Peters
apeters@mcn.org
Alan Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:01 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Welcome Annie and especially Sailor Moon Pie!
Old 07-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #7

California
Thanks! Those Relics are killer. Out of my price range, sadly.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:48 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Thanks! Those Relics are killer. Out of my price range, sadly.
Well Annie, what IS your price range?
Alan Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:53 AM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Peters View Post
I'm newly retired and I think $17 is what I can handle.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:55 AM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Peters View Post
Sorry Alan, I was responding to the person who sent me the Relic website. I can certainly afford yours!
Old 07-10-2020, 02:51 PM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Annie. I don't think relic trailers are not out of your price range. We have a 1991 Scamp 16 that will be 30 years old next year and our son until two years ago had a 1977 Scamp 13 that would be 43 years old this year. I'd consider them relics, One beauty of the a Scamp update or even rebuild is that parts are still readily available. There is a ton of information on this site about them.

Ginny and I have traveled in a small trailer for more than a decade, traveling 7 months a year, going all over North America.

This year I am updating our Scamp with a bunch of new Scamp hardware. The Scamp store is relatively reasonable, ordered stuff comes in days, and as well, much of what you need can be found at local RV stores.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:13 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Annie. I don't think relic trailers are not out of your price range. We have a 1991 Scamp 16 that will be 30 years old next year and our son until two years ago had a 1977 Scamp 13 that would be 43 years old this year. I'd consider them relics, One beauty of the a Scamp update or even rebuild is that parts are still readily available. There is a ton of information on this site about them.

Ginny and I have traveled in a small trailer for more than a decade, traveling 7 months a year, going all over North America.

This year I am updating our Scamp with a bunch of new Scamp hardware. The Scamp store is relatively reasonable, ordered stuff comes in days, and as well, much of what you need can be found at local RV stores.

Relic Trailers is a brand and although they look cool you pay a premium for very little value. I would consider one but their pricing is way out of line.

https://www.relictrailers.com/
Attached Thumbnails
relic.jpg  
Old 07-11-2020, 05:12 AM   #13

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 Relic is a brand that is selling a look. To those with the money, what the heck, looks cool, and great behind a vintage car like the picture above.

To those looking for VALUE, then a used Scamp can fit the bill nicely. In the older FG market, Bolers and Trilliums tend to bring a premium over a Scamp. Given your budget, you have more than enough to afford any of those. But finding a Boler or Trillium will be much harder (very limited supply).

Of course, many of the older ones do not have a bathroom or AC. So if you need both of those, a newer model Scamp or Casita might work out quite well.

I love my old Trillium, it has more opening window space than any other brand out there. I really like the fiberglass interior too. But when we take big trips, its the Escape 19.

Bathroom plus roof AC I would target a relatively new Scamp 16. Casita 16 would work too, somewhat less common. Either the Casita Spirit Deluxe 16, or the Scamp 16 layout 4 or 6 or the deluxe layout A. I'll leave it to the Scamp experts to tell you which layout is best. I am partial to windows front and rear, anything with a front bath prohibits that. Casita 16 has a lower ceiling height and no front window.

You could also get a Scamp 13 with a bathroom and AC. To get a bathroom, you lose the seating area, big penalty in my book. When the weather turns foul, having indoor seating is a blessing. Taking up the bed is always an option but gets old fast.

On my Trillium 1300, on solo trips, sometimes I sleep on the front gaucho and leave the rear dinette in place. I am planning to remove the upper bunk, as it is in the way for an adult using the lower bunk. And if you leave the upper bunk down, then the lower bunk is MUCH narrower.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:35 AM   #14

California
I'm new to fiberglass

Wow, you've summed it up nicely, thanks Bill! I tow with a Toyota Highlander Hybrid so I'm limited to 3500 lbs which is gonna be tough for AC and Bathroom. Maybe a 16' Casita? Any others fit the bill?
Old 07-11-2020, 07:42 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Oh, but what a look! $25-30K seems to be the going price for premium custom and semi-custom 13’ers. Out of my league, too.

Burro offers nice shell detailing in an affordable used unit. They made a 13’er and 14’ and 17’ wide-body versions. The 17’er offered a full wet bath.

Another unique design is the Bonair Oxygen.

EDIT- Now that I see your tow vehicle and requirements. I will concur that a 16’ Scamp or Casita is probably your best bet, with Scamp typically being a little lighter and more common. Don’t overlook Scamp deluxe models with custom oak or birch cabinetry.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:30 AM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
relic versus Relic

When I wrote about being able to afford a relic trailer I was writing about relic in the sense of old, like the 1975 Scamp that's for sale on FRV..

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:47 AM   #17

California
Yes, i thought that was your intention with your nice note...
Old 07-11-2020, 12:04 PM   #18

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
Quote:
Wow, you've summed it up nicely, thanks Bill! I tow with a Toyota Highlander Hybrid so I'm limited to 3500 lbs which is gonna be tough for AC and Bathroom. Maybe a 16' Casita? Any others fit the bill?

Annie,
Just for reference, we have a 2015 Escape 17A (17 foot, no bath; portapotty instead). Dry weight is about 2000 lb., & w/all our gear + filled fresh water tank and propane tanks it is about 2600-2800 lbs. We tow w/a Honda Pilot 2WD, rated for 3500 lbs., and it does fine. On the largest highway grades (E.G.: I-5 Tejon pass, US-395 Sherwin summit, I-84 Blue Mt.) we are 40-45 mph, but other than that, we are at full legal tow speed.
Worse case: 5 miles of 15% to Mt. Whitney Portal was 2nd gear 20 mph.

(FYI: Escape trailers are a wonderful choice, but used is almost the same price as new, due to quality).
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:15 AM   #19

California
Thanks for the advice!

Super helpful. On with the hunt!
Old 07-15-2020, 11:05 AM   #20

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trillium 5500
Oregon
Hi Annie -- it's a redhead from your past! I currently own a Trillium 5500. The 5500 is the largest Trillium they made (18 ft) but they're very rare. Trillium's are a great with a large interior and more windows. I've also had a Bigfoot and 2 Scamps. Escape is a great 4 season option. Check out https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com and https://www.fiberglassclassifieds.co...-sale-2?page=1 Fiberglass is a great option - lightweight and hold up better than stick trailers. Good luck in your hunt and maybe we'll see you up in the Pacific NW when things are less crazy! Kelly
KellyPB is offline   Reply With Quote