Hi Im Billie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2015, 08:22 PM   #1

Name: Billie
Trailer: Scamp
Indiana
Hi Im Billie

Hi I am Billie I'm from southern Indiana I bought a 1982 13ft. Scamp that was in need of some major love. I have fully gutted it and the next step is window replacement my problem is that they have discontinued the 82' side Windows. I stripped the ensolate as well due to major mold. So my next step is going to be replacing the front and back plexiglass and replacing the side Windows with plexiglass as well. I'm still debating what to do with the walls I thought about using a roll on bedliner coating and a friend mentioned using tar to seal it up and leave it a raw look then I need to replace the floor.
Billie Basham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:57 PM   #2

Name: Rod
Trailer: 1984 Dolphin
Wisconsin
Don't go with tar, it will get soft in the heat.
Ace57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:53 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Just because the original style windows are not made anymore, doesn't mean that you can not replace them with whatever new style that you wish, as you can cut the openings larger, or fiberglass the openings smaller. HEHR is one RV window manufacturer that I have used. You can cover the walls with Reflectix insulation rather easily, and cover that with marine headliner just like the new Scamps. Definitely do not use tar. Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01459.jpg   DSC01452.jpg  

DSC01461.jpg   DSC01462.jpg  

David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:16 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hi Im Billie

Welcome, Billie!

Are the side windows the old-style square jalousies? If so, they're considered a prize. They give the best ventilation, even in the rain. Are you sure they can't be rebuilt with new gaskets and parts? Member Ian G. rebuilt the jalousie side windows on an old Boler and they came out beautifully. Look for his thread "It Started as a Kitchen Reno." In any case I would not use plexi on the side windows- you will want some ventilation in there. Worst case look for new windows in a slightly larger size and enlarge the opening to fit as Dave suggests.

Regarding the walls... Wish you hadn't taken out the Ensolite. It can almost always be saved. Absolutely do not use tar. A few people have used bedliner, but it only minimally addresses the three reasons for wall coverings: insulation, condensation, and sound-deadening. I agree with Dave that going with the current Scamp combination of marine hull liner (known in these parts as "rat fur") over Reflectix foil-bubble insulation is your best bet. Again, you should be able to pull up some useful threads here, but if not, ask and someone will point you in the right direction.

Best of luck with your rebuild. Take it one step at a time, resist the temptation to shortcuts, and don't feel like you have to have everything done to enjoy camping in it.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #5

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billie Basham View Post
Hi I am Billie I'm from southern Indiana I bought a 1982 13ft. Scamp that was in need of some major love. I have fully gutted it and the next step is window replacement my problem is that they have discontinued the 82' side Windows. I stripped the ensolate as well due to major mold. So my next step is going to be replacing the front and back plexiglass and replacing the side Windows with plexiglass as well. I'm still debating what to do with the walls I thought about using a roll on bedliner coating and a friend mentioned using tar to seal it up and leave it a raw look then I need to replace the floor.
If you have not completed the task at hand just a note:
Lexan is tougher than plexiglass and works much the same harder to break or scratch.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Tony
Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
Thanks for joining Billie
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #7

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome Billie
Old 02-24-2015, 04:40 PM   #8

Indiana
Thank you I didn't think about that
Old 02-24-2015, 04:43 PM   #9

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace57 View Post
Don't go with tar, it will get soft in the heat.
Thank you i didn't think about that
Old 02-24-2015, 08:16 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Hi Billie and welcome

The advice give is very good

Here are a few links that may help you:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-51170.html