Hi, I'm Bonnie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2018, 08:05 AM   #1

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: Trillium
New York
Smile Hi, I'm Bonnie

Hi, my name is Bonnie, I'm 51 and have camped most of my life. I just purchased a 1976 Trillium 1300 so I will be stalking this site pretty heavy for ideas, maintenance and information.
camping granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:49 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, and congratulations on the "new" Trillium!

51... that's me when we purchased our first molded trailer, too. Must be something about the half century mark that causes tenting to lose its appeal. The measuring tape says otherwise, but I find the floor gets further away every year...

Happy camping!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:51 AM   #3

Name: Jay
Trailer: Scamp 16
Idaho
Congrats! I was a decade later than you but thus makes me appreciate the little trailers even more! My biggest worry has been backing the single axel up (very squirrely) and it has been a learning curve with the "systems" but now I feel pretty confident (though am still improving my backing skills!)
JRSeguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:58 AM   #4

Name: Adam
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Congrats and welcome! I'll have to keep an eye out for your posts. I just bought a '73 Trillium 1300 a few days ago, so I bet we'll have a lot of the same questions.
inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Hi Bonny, 76 was a good year for Trilliums, they had the design mostly worked out. The only major improvement on the 1300's after yours was that they changed the 9" roof vent to a 14" vent. I would love to see some pictures.

There are five items to check on all Trilliums:
1) The axle. If it is the original, then it's on the order of 40 years old. They age. After several years the rubber gets very hard and the axle no longer has any travel, or the rubber disintegrates and the axle sags. Get a new one, with brakes.
2) The door. The quick and dirty fix for door sag is to pull the door off, but leave the hinges attached to the door. Fill the screw holes with resin, and glass, tape the door back in place and use the holes on the hinges to drill new mounting holes. This is at best a temporary fix. This thread shows the best fix I have yet seen:
Trillium sagging door repair
3) The belly band. Due to how the top and bottom half of Trillium trailer are joined, they eventually leak, and the belly band falls off. This is a complex repair:
My First Belly Band Thread
My Second Belly Band Thread
4) The frame bolts. These hold the cab to the frame. They always rust out. Some disintegrate completely.
5) The windows. The butyl tape gets old and the seal is compromised. You pull the windows and install new butyl tape. This is actually kind of easy, unless you also have to replace the plywood frames on the inside:
My first Trillium window thread.

Manufacture dates on older trailers are occasionally inaccurate. Maybe compare your serial number to this list, and see where yours fits in:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post680419
I started this list because I bought a Trillium that I was told was a 1979. I knew that was wrong, but how to figure out the actual age?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:34 PM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
From the other coast...welcome to FGRV, Bonnie. Congrats on your Trillium (love love love those windows) and happy fixing and travelling.

BEST
Kai
(ai as in straight or caisson)