Hi Im Charlie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2020, 09:08 AM   #1
CLS

Name: Charlie
Trailer: Shopping
Kansas
Hi Im Charlie

Im Charlie, my wife Barb and I live in a small town in NC Kansas. We are both retired Art teachers. We tent camped for lots of years which we loved but when the ground got to hard we went to a Popup We also loved. But now we are thinking that a small hard side that takes less to set up pack up might be nice. So we are in the Look and Learn stage.
CLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:14 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
So, you have a blank canvas.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:32 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS View Post
Im Charlie, my wife Barb and I live in a small town in NC Kansas. We are both retired Art teachers. We tent camped for lots of years which we loved but when the ground got to hard we went to a Popup We also loved. But now we are thinking that a small hard side that takes less to set up pack up might be nice. So we are in the Look and Learn stage.

I think a molded fiberglass trailer, preferably with everything you need in it, will provide you with many more years to camp in and enjoy the outdoors than you would get from the pop-up. I started with a Casita 17 made in Texas and now have a wonderful Escape 19 made in Vancouver, B.C. My offWEgo has taken me wonderful places, including a trip to the shores of Lake Superior this coming weekend. There are lots of quality brands to choose from. Good luck and enjoy!
Glenn Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:17 AM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Fiberglass trailer quality is very good compared to stick built units. Buying used fiberglass is certainly less risky than buying a used sticky but you still have to be diligent. Fiberglass trailers are generally smaller, making them easier to tow, stow, park, etc.
Popular brands: Casita, Scamp, Escape, Bigfoot, Boler, Lil Snoozy (now Snoozy ll), Trillium, Oliver. A complete list is on the home page.

We really enjoy our custom Lil Hauley, which is a Lil Snoozy shell and trailer with the interior built by us.

Best of luck with your search.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
Welcome Mr & Mrs Charlie! LOTS of good choices out there both new and used. What vehicle(s) do you currently own? What Tow Rating does it have (hint: 3500# would be the minimum I'd recommend; 5000# would be even better). If your vehicle(s) is NOT rated to tow, get a vehicle that IS rated to tow (and allow for AT LEAST an extra 10%~15% margin of safety). If you need to buy a vehicle to tow with, BUY THE TRAILER FIRST!!! That way, you'll know EXACTLY how much tow capacity you actually need (Olivers and Airstreams are much heavier than Casitas and Scamps. Bigfoot and Escape are somewhere in the middle). If you're new to RVing, find and attend an RV Boot Camp. In as little as a weekend, you'll have all the systems found on a modern RV explained & demystified. Mistakes made with RVs are often expensive and, sometimes dangerous. RVBC graduates are smarter RV buyers and, safer RVers in general. The Escapees RV Club, FMCA, RVSEF and RV~Dreams offer this important training (the last two run ~ seven days; more social events). Eileen Glick of Love My Casita has an EXCELLENT book "CASITA TRAVEL TRAILER A-Z OWNER'S GUIDE". Much of Eileen's book will apply to other btands of fiberglass "eggs". The Covid19 Pandemic has made things more difficult than usual. Once you've got the information you need, be ready to act quickly, especially on used "eggs" as they tend to sell quickly. Again, WELCOME!
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:18 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
oh your gonna have fun now. if you ever had to pack up your popup when wet none of that mess with a hardside trailer. and when you get up in the morning your half way up compared to sleeping on the floor in a tent.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote