Hi! I'm Chris - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2017, 08:20 AM   #1

Name: CBarry
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Hi! I'm Chris

Hello everyone. I am planning to take early retirement within 2 years and go full-timing with my wife. I'm looking for a solid lightweight trailer for a middle-aged couple. I'm not looking for a 'project', so I'm likely getting something that is relatively new. I plan to tow with a 4WD vehicle so I can boondock in the wilderness as much as possible. Plan to convert to composting toilet and use black tank as extra grey tank space. Outdoor shower is acceptable. Need queen bed and prefer both sides be accessible (no crawling over each other in the middle of the night). While I am not crazy about the idea of putting any additional holes in the fiberglass roof, I intend to install Solar and only use a generator when absolutely necessary. I am just starting to look around at fiberglass trailers and would appreciate any input or advice. Thank you!

Chris B.
Born To Wander
cbarry12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:33 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarry12 View Post
Hello everyone. I am planning to take early retirement within 2 years and go full-timing with my wife. I'm looking for a solid lightweight trailer for a middle-aged couple. I'm not looking for a 'project', so I'm likely getting something that is relatively new. I plan to tow with a 4WD vehicle so I can boondock in the wilderness as much as possible. Plan to convert to composting toilet and use black tank as extra grey tank space. Outdoor shower is acceptable. Need queen bed and prefer both sides be accessible (no crawling over each other in the middle of the night). While I am not crazy about the idea of putting any additional holes in the fiberglass roof, I intend to install Solar and only use a generator when absolutely necessary. I am just starting to look around at fiberglass trailers and would appreciate any input or advice. Thank you!

Chris B.
Born To Wander
As far as the queen bed, you might have difficulty finding that arrangement as most small FBRVs are laid out with the bed oriented sideways. I have seen a 16' Scamp that had custom twin beds in the back, I think it is on Redbarron55 profile. Casita may have dual twin bunk options? I think Oliver offers them but Olivers are pricey. Maybe Lil Snoozy may have an option that will work.

On the solar, if you don't want holes in the fiberglass shell, I would recommend to plan on portable panels and add a connection port around the tongue area or possibly underneath to where you can just set them outside and plug them in. You could add a small hatch with a cover to the lower outside of the trailer with the connection point inside the flip up cover and the hatch could be sealed with butyl tape so it doesn't leak. Would be a pretty simple install to just drill the hole for the connection and a few small ones for the hatch rivets or screws.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #3

Name: CBarry
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Thank you, Johnny. I appreciate the input!
cbarry12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:41 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Chris, Renogy has a no holes mounting kit for solar panels on fiberglass roofs. I just installed this on our Lil Snoozy using VHB tape by 3M. Once applied I then used self tapping aluminum screws through the plastic mounts into the aluminum frame of the panel. Portable units are very useful if you have the room to store them while not in use. I would look at either a "Parkliner" or a "Relic Travel Trailer" if you want to sleep without crawling over one another. The Lil Snoozy does make a version with two single beds, but it is a total electric trailer. I converted ours to Propane to better suit our camping lifestyle.
Good Luck
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote