Hi I'm from Ocean Shores, Wa - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #1

Name: Joseph
Trailer: Just ordered 17" Casita ID
Washington
Hi I'm from Ocean Shores, Wa

Hi,

Just got on site. Great site with lots of input & info. Just beginning to research & look for a Travel Trailer . Wondering which is rec. between Boler, Scamp & Casitia.

Pro & Cons I should look for? Should I buy new or used?

Thanks for any ideas & pointers,

JQ
socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #2

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Ocean Shores

We live in Ocean Shores and own a Casita if you would like to look at it.

B.D
bdorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Wow, this is rare. Two first time posters in the same thread. Where have you folks been hiding? Welcome fellow Washingtonians. There are quite a few fiberglass fanatics in western WA and OR. You guys should think about attending some of our regional get-together events where you can see what everyone else has and do some different brand comparisons first hand.

Here's a link to a few upcoming area events.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-67670.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-69160.html

Also, we have the Taidnapum (near Morton, WA), the Maryhill State Park (near Goldendale, WA), and the Bullards Beach (Bandon, OR) get-togethers, which are annual meet-ups too. Lots of info in the forum threads.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:24 PM   #4

Washington

Hi Greg,

Yea weird & 2 newbies from same little town. I am trying to connect with Bill now to see his Casita. I will mark those date on calendar for the future.
we just retired & are still researching units, but I am leaning toward the Casitas from what I have read.
One question, I drive a 2008 Mercury Mountaineer that came with full Tow package.
Do I still need that Electric Brake Boost thing I keep reading about? They mention like a Brake Controller? Any advice on this

Thanks,

Joseph
Old 08-10-2015, 02:51 PM   #5

Registry
Yes Joseph,
You will need to have, (if you don't already have,) a brake controller installed along with the 7 Pin Bargman RV plug on your tow vehicle. The Casita comes standard with electrically actuated brakes, which connects to the tow vehicle (via the blue wire) through the 7 Pin connector. The 17 ft Casitas weigh in at a little over 3,500 lbs dry weight and have a tongue weight in the range of 400 lbs. (The Casita brochure says 350 lbs., but mine and everybody I know that has a 17 footer will tell you they run more towards 400 lb. of tongue weight. I'm not overly familiar with the Mercury Mountaineer, but your vehicle manual should tell you what your towing capacities are listed at.

The trailer brakes are required. Hope this helps somewhat.
Greg
Old 08-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Boler, Scamp, and Casita share a common design heritage and are very similar in overall concept. There are lots of little differences in execution but no clear "winner." It more often comes down to what becomes available at the right price, location, and condition. Attending a rally and seeing all three in person might help you form some preferences, but when you are ready to purchase, it helps to have an open mind.

I could tell you I like the marine headliner inside my Scamp better than the carpet in a Casita or the ensolite in a Boler, and that I enjoy a few extra inches of headroom. Someone else might tell you they prefer the clean fiberglass underbelly, raised suspension, and great customer service from Casita, and another might extol the full jalousies, frenched taillights, and vintage cachet of their Boler.

But the truth is that anyone who owns any molded fiberglass trailer is the real winner!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:21 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Astoria Oregon
I have 16 ft Scamp in Astoria if you want to compare to others.
Steve 503-791-7370
stevesiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:25 PM   #8

Washington
brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Yes Joseph,
You will need to have, (if you don't already have,) a brake controller installed along with the 7 Pin Bargman RV plug on your tow vehicle. The Casita comes standard with electrically actuated brakes, which connects to the tow vehicle (via the blue wire) through the 7 Pin connector. The 17 ft Casitas weigh in at a little over 3,500 lbs dry weight and have a tongue weight in the range of 400 lbs. (The Casita brochure says 350 lbs., but mine and everybody I know that has a 17 footer will tell you they run more towards 400 lb. of tongue weight. I'm not overly familiar with the Mercury Mountaineer, but your vehicle manual should tell you what your towing capacities are listed at.

The trailer brakes are required. Hope this helps somewhat.
Greg

Hi Greg, Thanks for the details. Mu Mountaineer is an 8 cylinder. I just checked; I have a class 3/4 hitch, Max gross distributed wt is 7,300 lbs; carrying is 5,000 lbs. Tongue dist. is 730 lbs, carrying is 500 lbbs. So that 7 Pin Bargman RV plug you are talking about - that is done by an RV store or? And then I would need it before I were to buy even a used one to drive it home or is it just suggested as safety/backup? Also there is a spot where like a big cotter pin would go to hold the trailer - is that something that would come with the trailer or would I need to buy that too?

As an aside I just went to see the Casita down the street & it looks even better in person - and there's is like 13 years old. So Casita for me; But for sure I need the headroom, so I will need to look at the 17 footers I guess.

Later, JQ
Old 08-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #9

Washington
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the offer - will keep your number. But I just went to see a Casita down the road & I think that is where I am gonna be looking. Just gotta decide whether to buy used or new I guess.

Later
JQ
Old 08-10-2015, 06:28 PM   #10

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Hi All,

It was great to meet Jo today and show off our 'new to us' Casita. We have been following this forum for quite a while and picked up some GREAT tips. We look forward to reading it every day.

Hope to meet up with some of you while traveling in the fall.

Bill and Eleanor
bdorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by socks View Post
Hi Greg, Thanks for the details. Mu Mountaineer is an 8 cylinder. I just checked; I have a class 3/4 hitch, Max gross distributed wt is 7,300 lbs; carrying is 5,000 lbs. Tongue dist. is 730 lbs, carrying is 500 lbbs. So that 7 Pin Bargman RV plug you are talking about - that is done by an RV store or? And then I would need it before I were to buy even a used one to drive it home or is it just suggested as safety/backup? Also there is a spot where like a big cotter pin would go to hold the trailer - is that something that would come with the trailer or would I need to buy that too?

As an aside I just went to see the Casita down the street & it looks even better in person - and there's is like 13 years old. So Casita for me; But for sure I need the headroom, so I will need to look at the 17 footers I guess.

Later, JQ
JQ,
Are you sure you don't already have the Bargman 7-Pin connection? If not, they can install one for you when you get the brake controller. Any shop that does auto electric or trailer hitches will probably have what you need since they do a lot of them. Below is a picture of the 7-Pin wiring configuration. Remember, the trailer plug is a "mirror image", so be sure to get them on the right terminals.
Attached Thumbnails
Connector Pin Out.gif  
Old 08-10-2015, 09:25 PM   #12

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington

Socks, I'll be at Ocean City State Park the 12th and 13th in Loop 3 Site 74 if you'd like to look at my Escape 17B.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #13

Washington
escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post

Socks, I'll be at Ocean City State Park the 12th and 13th in Loop 3 Site 74 if you'd like to look at my Escape 17B.
Hi Pat,

Dang, Thanks for the invite but will be tied up with Grandkids rest of the week.

Thanks
JQ
Old 08-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #14

Washington
bargman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
JQ,
Are you sure you don't already have the Bargman 7-Pin connection? If not, they can install one for you when you get the brake controller. Any shop that does auto electric or trailer hitches will probably have what you need since they do a lot of them. Below is a picture of the 7-Pin wiring configuration. Remember, the trailer plug is a "mirror image", so be sure to get them on the right terminals.
So that is the Bargman 7pin connection? I have that on the back of car. Then all I need is the Brake Controller to buy & get installed?
Old 08-10-2015, 09:48 PM   #15

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Hi Pat,

Dang, Thanks for the invite but will be tied up with Grandkids rest of the week.

Thanks
JQ
You've got your priorities in order
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
So that is the Bargman 7pin connection? I have that on the back of car. Then all I need is the Brake Controller to buy & get installed?
Yes, if you already have the 7-Pin Bargman, (when you said your rig had the tow package, I thought you might already have it, so that is why I asked, just to be sure,) then all you'll need is for the tech who installs the brake controller to hook up the blue wire to the electric brake terminal and the ground to the existing common ground terminal. Incidentally, I would ask him to also tap into and run a wire from one of your reverse lights to the center pin of your tow vehicle's Bargman. The Casita trailers come from the factory with the reverse lights hooked up to the center terminal of the male stinger (plug), but most installers don't usually hook up the center pin for actuating your backup lights on your tow rig, unless you ask for it. A lot of trailers don't have backup lights, but your Casita does. Since the trailer is already wired for it, it's an easily performed request to have them hook up to your reverse light on your car so you can use them as well.