Hi I'm John & I am a Jayco owner..but I'm upgrading my sisters 73 Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-10-2021, 01:55 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Hi I'm John & I am a Jayco owner..but I'm upgrading my sisters 73 Boler

Wanted to introduce myself and thank the community for the great info that has helped me make good progress rehabbing my sisters 73 avocado green Boler. Thanks to this forum the original fridge is now working on AC (someone posted that the original Tedco's are tanks and give them a go.... so I did after leveling it dead on. Paul N. put a new axle with brakes on it and fixed the wiring for the lights. The aluminum AC wiring is gone and I will be installing a 30 amp power center. New propane regulator and hose.... blew oil out of the lines (likely from the rubber hose). Stove works well but the fridge propane safety valve seems to be an issue. Lots still to deal with (leaking rivet holes.... and original roof vent) but happy to have this resource and such great people.
Lagerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:52 PM   #2

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Welcome, John!!

Sounds like you are off to a great start in fixing up your sister's Boler.

Yes, there is a ton of helpful resources on this forum and honestly, there is likely nothing that you cannot find out from reading thru the threads ..but everyone here is extremely good about offering assistance, thoughts, info and guidance.

Does your sister's plan include changing the colour? That avocado green is a classic.

Again, welcome and keep us posted---we love photos !!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:11 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
I WAS a Jayco owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerman View Post
Wanted to introduce myself and thank the community for the great info that has helped me make good progress rehabbing my sisters 73 avocado green Boler.

Then this happened. A scamp owner and I share a double site. Shortly after that I was setting up the Jayco in the IOWA heat and humidity, I had to go in and set in front of the A/C to recover and decided to downsize to a Scamp 16’. Much easier set up!
Attached Thumbnails
453text.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:07 PM   #4

Ontario
Thanks Theresa & ACOGV

Totally get the simplicity of the Boler. We keep our 28' Jayco on a seasonal conservation area site and don't own a big tow vehicle but miss the periodic trips to other parks (with our old 17' hybrid Jayco. My sister has always offered it and my 23 year old son LOVES it so I figured I'd use some of my retirement time. Love restoring this beauty. Attaching a few pics. No plans to change the gelcoat....we both agree it is a classic. I am convinced I can get it back to close to original (check pic where old regulator was) with some gentle wet sanding. While it has some issues Paul Neimeister said it was one of the closest to original condition Bolers he has seen. Frame is still great (will rust paint it when I get time). Couldn't believe it but the 50 year old fresh water tank is intact and holds water.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210308_162733345.jpg   IMG_20210321_154853362_HDR.jpg  

IMG_20210321_132408900.jpg  
Old 04-10-2021, 04:16 PM   #5

Ontario
Frame and restored fridge

A few more pics. The underside with the new axle. Inside while working on stovetop. Fridge after 3 hours of cleaning and a tub of baking soda (who knew how well that works!). Works on 110.... so likely 12 DC also. Propane is a problem that I might be able to fix. But only way it won't freeze liquids in the main compartment is on lowest setting! A good problem to have. Not sure why the pics are upside down.....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210314_182326822_HDR.jpg   IMG_20210321_175344409_HDR.jpg  

IMG_20210323_145522653.jpg   IMG_20210323_145529701.jpg  

Old 04-10-2021, 04:26 PM   #6

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
She's a beauty, John! Has your sister owned it for many years or did she luck into finding this one recently?

Even with newer fiberblass trailers, there is work to be done to maintain them. This summer's first chore will be to wax and shine our all up.

We last did it in 2018, I am ashamed to admit, just before we left home to venture to Winnipeg for the 50th Boler anniversary shindig.

It is overdue.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:54 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
A Jayco owner huh? Thats what I had before I saw the light and got the fiberglass bug.
Maybe you will convert after you get done converting the old Boler?
Anyway... I assume you are aware of Ian Giles and his web presence.. if not, then be sure to see:
Complete Guide to 13′ Boler Fiberglass Trailers
and his parent site:
https://www.proud-canadian.com/

pS.. I dont think I would wet sand it at all unless the finish was so bad that I decided paint was a better option. Start with the most mild of gelcoat restoring compounds and add more aggressive ones if needed... and if needed, the fine grit wet sandpaper which would be the final option and imply a paint job.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:34 AM   #8

Ontario
Thanks for the links Gordon

I had found one site but not the other. 21 years ago we had a tent trailer. Lot to like about simple and light so you never know. Truth be told we want our cake and to eat it also. Borrowing hers along with our conservation area condo might be the best of both worlds. As for where she found it Theresa; on Ebay in Winnipeg about 10 years ago. She had it shipped to Toronto a few years after storing it at a friends out west. I had seen little use and a lot of barn time methinks based on how well attached the frame was to the floor (read and was expecting few screws still well attached; wrong. Gordon good point; I will wet sand only as a last resort..... no plan to paint but the oxidation is pretty extreme. Paul N. added a battery box on the tongue. Likely original city water tap washer showed very little evidence of use.... but was hard as a rock. I should deal with the leaks first but the electrical & fridge are more fun!
Old 04-11-2021, 11:24 AM   #9

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Nice trailer looks great perfect time to work on it.

Tags
boler