Hi I'm Jonathan - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2017, 04:55 AM   #21
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I have a Frontier, same engine and transmission as the Xterra. I have 40k miles mostly towing. We've been over the Rockies half a dozen times. No issues. Very strong engine. I'm sure it will pull any of the 16' or 17' fiberglass trailers.

As far as height, I'm 6' 2". When I was shopping I read many threads on this forum. More than once it was pointed out that you don't spend much time standing in a 13' trailer. They're correct. My head skims the roof in a few places. Not a problem.

In a 13' trailer you have a choice. If you get a bathroom, then the dinette is also the bed. We chose to have a permanent bed and a front dinette. Porti potti under the bed. This gives an extra bed if needed, a front window, and the trailer feels larger. If I wanted a bathroom, I'd buy a larger trailer. Personal preference. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:05 AM   #22

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Jonathan, if you check out the thread on this site: Trailer Weights in the Real World, you'll get a wide example of various models and sizes for weight when fully loaded. Go to the "Search" function toward the top of the page and click, then type that in on the bottom line. It's a great thread.

Our Dodge Grand Caravan has a towing capacity of 3600 with a tongue capacity of 360. Our Amerigo weighs about 2200 loaded, tongue weight 240 loaded (260 with the trailer door fully open--what you put on the tongue weighs far more than what you put on the back.

Remember, tongue weight must be 10-15% of total weight, not less than 10% or you'll have a real stability issue when towing.

MANY taller people have found eggs that suit them. (Eggs: fiberglass trailers. We call ours "Peanut" one shell, two nuts)

BEST
Kai
Old 02-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #23
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
We call ours "Peanut" one shell, two nuts)

BEST
Kai
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:31 PM   #24

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: In the market
Missouri
Thanks again!

Wow, lots of good info from you all again. Had me thinking all over the place today, thank you for that, but I think I'll go with my gut and stand by my numbers. My Xterra is 128k miles old and I really love that ugly ol' gal. j/k.

I get the whole not usually standing in the camper, we go camping to be outside anyway. I was sure that I could deal with the ceiling just 1" over my head, if I could have an alternative to the roof mounted a/c. (if I'm wrong, let me know, but my assumption is having to duck around the inside portion of the a/c unit.) The window a/c seems alright, I've seen something like that in a video. How do you get a seal all the way around the window? Do you use foam and replace it every year or three?

Also, we just don't need or want a toilet in a space that size. My dad has a 21ft. Rockwood Roo, it still feels too small for a toilet. Call me weird, but I'd rather sit at an outhouse (or bucket) if I can shower in my own camper. That's another thing though, if we have to keep the toilet to have a place to sit in the shower (bc we can't stand), we'd be unhappy. That's just us though...

The public showers are what feels gross to me, I'm tired of showering with my sandals.
jonospinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:58 AM   #25

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Showering alternative: 1. Get an ez pop-up privacy tent (base about 4x4).
2. Get a black 5-gallon bucket with a lid.
3. Get some organic soap/detergent (like some sold at Trader Joe's--ask clerks).
4. Fill the bucket at least halfway in the AM and set it in the sun. By late afternoon the water will be nice and warm.
5. Set up your privacy shelter and take the bucket inside. Use a cup, small bucket, or ladle and drizzle yourself with the warm water. Use the organic soap sparingly. Now rinse.
6. Hope you remembered a towel or robe! Dry and cover self.
7. If your campground is picky about water, get a "barrell liner" or small wading pool to stand in while "showering." That way all water is caught, and you can then drag the pool over to a proper drain when you're all finished.
8. Re-dress, go out and pick up, clean up, put away your washing equipment.

9. If you want, they sell battery-operated "shower heads' where you set the bottom down in the bucket of sun-warmed water and the top sprays you with a shower-like spray. We nearly bought one but decided the fewer gadgets to feed and repair and replace, the better.

Our system is very lo-tech, and is miserable on a cold or windy day. Then there are "Elvis baths" inside the rig using a basin and a cup and a washcloth, etc. Not very satisfactory, but it does the job. After all, we're camping! Gotta be a little smudgy. The dirty badge of courage, so to speak.

There are as many solutions as there are campers, just about. I don't like showering while sitting on a toilet, myself, either. And I need lots of elbow room, and not with hard things around me to get bumped on. And I'm not thrilled with public showers, either. So we developed this low-tech solar system--surprise, it works pretty well.

And our doggies sleep in the wading pool under my bed at night in the trailer, so it's not even extra equipment to haul along. We just have to dry it before letting them back into it. (And showering in it really cleans it out, too!)

BEST
Kai
Old 02-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #26

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I'm 6'1" and 240 lbs. (if I spit before getting on the scale) I use a pre-2007 Scamp 13 however I do not spend a lot of time sitting inside. And yes I have to avoid bumping the roof vent above the bed. No big whoop, about like going a little wide to miss a coffee table in the living room.

That being true I think you might want to look at Casita, I think they might be a touch taller. And they are an alternative in the same price range as Scamp.

Lot depends on how you camp, I'm inside if it rains so hard I can't be out under a tarp or awning, or is too cold for sitting by a fire. And to sleep. Other people cook and eat inside.

Traveling a small easy to flip up awning right there on the camper for a little shade or to keep rain out of the door when going in and out can be most useful. For longer stays a larger shelter or screen tent would probably be welcome. Some of those weigh like 80# so I am not a fan of those.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:37 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonospinach View Post
Wow, lots of good info from you all again. Had me thinking all over the place today
Jonothan,

Thinking is good. Seeing and doing are two other things that can really help to refine the decision.

I am not intending to be rude here. I've posted several times here, as others have, regarding how what we initially thought we wanted and needed changed over time.

Sometimes those changes are due to changes in circumstances, sometimes they come from the experience we gain by doing.

Notwithstanding my background with camping and backpacking, not to mention all of my research and spreadsheets, my views changed considerably over a relatively short period once we started "doing". As just one example, I changed from "just an ice chest please; they are so much simpler and won't ever break down" to "WOW, I can keep my food cold for weeks at a time in a propane refrigerator. Does anyone else out there know how GREAT these things are?"

On the other hand, we bought our Casita having never even seen one. In fact, we had not been inside any molded fiberglass trailer at all.

The Casita matched my expectations entirely. On the other hand, my dear wife had to get over her initial shock as to how small it was. However, she has since become very content with it. But, I've seen at least one ordered-new trailer for sale that claimed the owners only camped in it one night as they immediately decided it was such a poor decision.

There is an old saying about buying your third RV first because it often takes people a few tries to find what best suits them. It's a very personal decision and the answer is ultimately unique for every person and couple.

Over time, seeing and doing will ultimately facilitate making decisions that better suit you. If you have the flexibility to change your choice of trailer later on, then jump in and start "doing". We started with a teardrop and actually enjoyed it a lot, but decided to get a "standee" as our ambitions evolved. I suspect in turn that there may actually be a "third RV" here one day.

If you haven't already, you might throw hard-shell A-frame popups into the mix too. They are just another type to consider; they come with their own unique pros and cons.

Good luck on your quest there!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote