Hi I'm Juli from SD - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #1

Name: Juli
Trailer: In the market for affordable:)
South Dakota
Hi I'm Juli from SD

I've just started looking around at all the great discussions on this site. My husband and I are looking for a used TT along the lines of a Weiscraft Little Joe or Ponderosa or a 13' Scamp. After talking to the seller of a 1971 Cardinal recently, we thought a newer model would be better for us. We are newly married and want something that will last us a very long time. Though we're pretty handy, we'd like to get something that will be ready for camping.

It's nice to see all of the friendly enthusiasts here helping one another out. I'm excited to see what else I find here!
Juli G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #2

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Welcome! We are new to the forums, campers and fiberglass campers, too! Last fall we purchased a 1969 North Star, vintage stick camper with the intent of fixing it up. It was adorable but WAY more work than we could handle. Recently we sold it and purchased a 1982 13 foot Scamp that we get to pick up this weekend! We can't wait! Hopefully you find your perfect camper soon and can get out camping!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:54 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Welcome to the group Juli & Husband

The good news is that you don't necessarily have to look for something newer just to make it last. My 1973 Hunter Compact-II is now 42, meaning that it would have outlived many marriages and it still hasn't reached middle, much less old, age.

I'd suggest that you buy something affordable to try for a year or two and find out what you do and don't like about it, and either keep that one or move to a rig more appropriate to your needs. Unlike spouses, FGRV's are easy to get rid of (meaning "Sell") if you want to move on, and you will often get more back than you paid in the first place.

IN FGRV's it's all about condition, condition and condition. Everything else, including age, comes after that.

BTW: What will you be towing with and what do you see as your budget?

Good Luck Hunting

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:21 PM   #4

South Dakota
Thanks for the advice, Bob! We hadn't considered the option of "testing" one out for a little bit, but it makes great sense.

We will be towing it with a GMC Sierra 1500.
The budget is along the lines of cheap! Around $4000 is our budget, which seems doable if we go for a used camper that needs a little work.

Also, our preference for make or model is not set in stone. What is most important is price and small size.

How do you like your Compact?
Old 05-18-2015, 01:07 PM   #5

Compacts are great fun for two peeps. Here is a link to the changes I have made to the interior to make it better suited to the often month long treks we take it on.

You should be able to pick up a project Compact -II for about $2000, leaving a lot left over for updating and repairs.

Feel free to browse my other projects in my photobucket, just click on Library or select a different album. There are two for the Hunter
Hunter Compact II Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

Old 05-19-2015, 08:10 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum, Juli!

All good advice. One resource you may find helpful is the Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List. It'll help you cover all the bases when you go to look at a possible purchase.

One issue to be aware of regarding RVs in general and FGRVs in particular is that bed sizes can vary greatly and are often smaller than what you may be used to at home. I've seen some ads touting a "queen" bed in a 13' Scamp. The actual size is 45"x76". One person's "cramped" is another person's "cozy", but it's something to consider as you shop. There is more information here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...zes-29849.html. The Hunters Bob mentioned only sleep two but have larger beds than many similarly-sized trailers.

Happy hunting!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #7

South Dakota
Jon, I looked over the checklist you mentioned. What a help that will be! I'm also so glad you mentioned the bed sizes. That was something that puzzled me with a small trailer saying "queen size." We luckily don't require anything too fancy or roomy, so it shouldn't be a big issue, but definitely something to remember.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
I mentioned it because I almost thought we were going to have to let go of our Scamp due to the narrow bed. My wife shares the dinette bed with our younger daughter, and I share the bunks with the older. After three years of ownership, the younger did what kids do: she grew, and my wife complained that there just wasn't enough room any more. Then someone on the forum suggested head-to-toe sleeping. We tried it, and peace is restored. Wouldn't be too romantic for a couple, but it works for us.

If I were just a couple, the 70"x72" bed in a Hunter Compact Jr. sounds very appealing! Have you seen this one:1972 Compact Jr. - 900 lb | Ballard Seattle, WA | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Old 05-19-2015, 01:17 PM   #9

RE: Compact Jr. in Seattle, a few comments
That is a very basic Compact Jr and, while it looks very nice overall, at the asking price, I would have the following concerns:
No water system. The seller mentioned everything, including the water tank, is missing.
No refrigerator, that's an ice-box in the pics
There was no mention of any 12 Volt/Battery system or 12 volt lights.
Outside of top has what looks like some metal bars across it, I'd ask what that's about.

While it presents nicely, one might have to put a few $$ into it to make it camping ready, or a lot of $$ if they have to pay someone to do the work.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #10

South Dakota
I was really interested in that Campact Jr! But, my husband does not want to drive so far to pick it up. I'll relay your insight to him.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:22 PM   #11

South Dakota
Bob and Jon, do you have any thoughts about this one?
Burro camper trailer | Fort Atkinson WI | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
I am calling the seller later today.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Our first fiberglass trailer was a 13' Burro and we really loved it! It received comments all the time for its cuteness factor and it was a great little trailer. In fact, we towed it from Chicago to Yellowstone our first year and it traveled wonderfully. However, my wife really wanted a trailer with a bathroom space, so we moved up to the 16' UHaul VT the next year. We sold our Burro (1978) for about the same price they are asking here. We towed the Burro with our VW Eurovan (VR6 engine).

The trailer advertised in Fort Atkinson, WI, looks in very good shape. Always check the tires, though, because appearances are deceiving. They may look in good shape but if they are 5 years old or more, dry rot can cause them to be unstable on the road. If you are interested in buying this one, think about getting new tires soon (unless they can show the tires are pretty "young"). Some people even take along new ones when they pick up their "new" trailers, having a local shop swap them out before the trip home.

Where in South Dakota are you located? While the trip to SE Wisconsin can seem long, it is a pretty common distance to find the trailer you really want. We drove to western Arkansas to pick up the VT.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Burros are a double-hull design, with two layers of fiberglass, and I am not familiar with what special problems or issues they might have. The price is pretty low, so it makes me wonder, but it looks promising.

The fact that it has a 2- or 3-way RV fridge is a big plus, assuming it works. I'd verify that on the phone, and if you do go to look/purchase, have the seller turn it on and cool it down ahead of time. Because of their design, RV-type absorption fridges take a long time to cool down and don't make sounds to indicate they are working like a home-type compressor fridge does.

It appears to be riding on a raised axle, which might be a good thing, since you will be pulling it with a full-size truck, and it likely indicates it has been replaced at some point. Something to ask about.

It also appears to have a catalytic heater. Boondockers like them because they don't require battery power to operate, but they can be dangerous if not used properly. It is not original.

EDIT: Tires should have a date stamped in the rubber.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:59 PM   #14

South Dakota
Missed out on Burro, but now for a Boler??

I just got a call from the seller of the Burro saying someone got to it before we did. We had been planning to look at it Friday (tomorrow!). Too bad. Now, I'm curious about this 1976 13' Boler Travel Trailer | St-Pierre-Jolys, MB, Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

I am concerned about the fact that the metal support that runs from the cabinet above the sink to the counter (like in a Scamp) is not there. I read that it is a structural support that could mean, when missing, the roof may sag.

How big of a concern is this for a new fiberglass TT owner?

Also, if I were to buy a Boler, where could I find a screen door that would fit?

Thanks for any advice anyone may have!