Hi Im ken - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2011, 10:01 PM   #21

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S.
Hi: widetrak60... IMHO the best 5th. is one just like ours, built right under your feet in Chilliwack BC!!! Trouble is it won't fit over a dually
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
I bet you could make it fit! Lifting with a bigger axle and whatever it took would also make it better offroad.

One thing I have often thought was that the tow vehicle and trailer shpuld take the same size and type wheel and tire. That way you can use one spare for both, or have two spares for both.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:43 PM   #22

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Night Sailor... Our Escape 5.0 has a 3" lift on the axle already so it fit over a 4X2 GMC short box fullsize truck. It also comes std. equip'd with a 3500# axle and 15" wheels and tires.
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:20 AM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
One thing I have often thought was that the tow vehicle and trailer shpuld take the same size and type wheel and tire. That way you can use one spare for both, or have two spares for both.
The tires work for this, but not the wheels. The offset on the wheels is different. Ask me how I know..... oh well, good idea... just didn't work out.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:56 AM   #24

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Roger,
Glad to hear the words of a seasoned Trillium 13 traveller. We decided on a 13' for many of the reasons you've described. Our decision was made on gut feel so it's reassuring to know that extended travel in the Trillium has worked so well for you.
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Last year, 2010, January to March we did 6 weeks in our 13'.
This year, December to February, we did 7 weeks, 3 days.
A trailer isn't like a house. You don't spend the whole day in the trailer. The trailer is for sleeping, sometimes eating and sometimes playing cards or other games or watching DVDs. Admittedly, we do eat out at restaurants a lot, but it doesn't rain much in AZ, but it can, like crazy! for a short while.
Driving, towing our Trillium, is just like driving the car itself. We can turn sharply and park anyplace that has double nose-to-nose parking. The convenience of a 13' far outweighs any inconvenience, we feel.
You asked about tow vehicles, our Subaru does just fine and gives us 19.5mpg, and AWD.
reeves99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #25

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Amazing post, Norm! That is how I want our "empty nester" years to be spent. I had Hubby read your post as he is always looking at the huge Class A's on the road and saying "some day". Well, I dont really want to travel that way so I've been trying to show the benefits of smaller and that bigger isnt always better. He read your post twice and was really touched by it so hopefully it's a step in the right direction.

Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We've been traveling for 11 years, starting in a motorhome and graduating down to an egg for the last four years. We moved to small trailers for a number of reasons, to let us go places only small rigs can go like Chaco Canyon, Labrador or Dunkin Donuts, it costs less, you don't take as much stuff, and it's easier. We went down from a 32 foot class A with infinite storage to a 16 foot trailer with limited space. It takes a change in thinking.

We average 7 months a year but have done up to 10 months in a 16 foot trailer, this year we'll do 9. We have no trouble living in a small space. It requires a little different routine but the benefits of travel are just amazing. We're always being stimulated by all the things there are to see and do, just amazing and exciting.

Our intention is to travel until we can't. We are so free on the road, free of the stress of normal life, really free of the stress of all those that normally surround our life. As well our physical health is better, we do more, eat less and feel better. Our minds are more stimulated by all there is to see and learn, so much is fresh compared to staying home. We feel like kids on summer vacation.

I know our style is not for everyone but there is much in the life style that is not obvious. It takes a reorientation, an opening of one's mind like a child. When you were a kid on summer vacation, you sought adventure. You still can. The RV is a tool for doing it.

Travel Safe,

Norm
Old 08-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #26

Name: Ken
Trailer: 84BigFoot 5th 2002 travelaire 5th wheel
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: widetrak60... IMHO the best 5th. is one just like ours, built right under your feet in Chilliwack BC!!! Trouble is it won't fit over a dually
That is a nice 5th for sure but not sure Im ready to buy a new truck and a new trailer Ken
Ken Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #27

Alaska
Registry
does any one pull an egg with a full size pickup with a diesel in it? My dually gets about 19mpg empty I wonder what it would get with a 13 - 15
egg hooked to it? Ken
Old 08-18-2011, 12:07 AM   #28

Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Night Sailor... Our Escape 5.0 has a 3" lift on the axle already so it fit over a 4X2 GMC short box fullsize truck. It also comes std. equip'd with a 3500# axle and 15" wheels and tires.
I wonder if with a hauler or flat bed would do the trick? What kind of hitch does it come with? Ken