Hi, I'm Lianee and want to tow with a Honda Odyssey - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-13-2023, 11:10 AM   #1

Name: Lianee
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Hi, I'm Lianee and want to tow with a Honda Odyssey

I'm looking at purchasing a Trail Mite because it is 13' and would fit into the space available. My car's owner's manual indicates with the proper components I'll be able to tow the trailer.

My concerns center around the future care and maintenance of a 50-year-old fiberglass trailer. It will have to be outside.

Looking forward to searching through the Forum.
Lianee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 11:22 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianee View Post
I'm looking at purchasing a Trail Mite because it is 13' and would fit into the space available. My car's owner's manual indicates with the proper components I'll be able to tow the trailer.

My concerns center around the future care and maintenance of a 50-year-old fiberglass trailer. It will have to be outside.

Looking forward to searching through the Forum.
Welcome Lianee!

The Trail Mite looks a lot like a Boler to me. Not that I'm much of an expert of either brand. There are several 13' trailers. What is it about the Trail Mite that you find attractive?

I'm a big fan of Trillium trailers. For me that started with the Duo Therm gravity furnace, (no fan) that are typically installed in these. The other major attractions were the fibreglass furniture and slightly more square construction that made them feel larger inside. Though I would recommend the slightly larger, (15') Trillium 4500 vs. the 1300, (13').

I'm also from Canada. Totally different conditions from California. Snow vs. Sun. However I've been known to describe fibreglass trailers as being nearly immortal.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 11:38 AM   #3

California
Hi David - I like the space inside and the amount of light through the windows. I'll check out the Trillium. I hadn't heard of them before. I hope there are a few more years left on this one.
Old 03-13-2023, 12:04 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianee View Post
Hi David - I like the space inside and the amount of light through the windows. I'll check out the Trillium. I hadn't heard of them before. I hope there are a few more years left on this one.
Oh, I didn't realize that you already had a trailer. Love the one your with.

As far as checking out Trilliums go, take a look at this thread:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post680419

The last digits of the serial numbers are links to information about and pictures of the trailer.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 12:18 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You have lots of choices in the 13' class, and Trail Mite is the same basic layout as Scamp, Boler, and many others. Trillium is very similar, but a bit more upscale. Scamp is pretty much the only basic 13'er still in production, though there are some current upscale competitors like Armadillo and Happier Camper.

Any of them will be a good choice for your Odyssey. Consider adding a transmission cooler to reduce towing-related wear and tear. What year is your Odyssey?

Unless it's undergone a recent full renovation, there will certainly be issues with a 50 year old trailer. The biggest include rusted frames, worn out axles, and/or rotten floors. Broken or missing windows can also be troublesome, because many older windows are no longer being made. And of course, wiring needs updating, appliances don't work...

If you're wanting to avoid a project, consider a newer Scamp 13, something in the 5-15 year old range. Whatever the age, do a thorough pre-purchase inspection. Here's a tool you can download and print: Buyer's Checklist
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 12:31 PM   #6

California
I don't have it yet.
Old 03-13-2023, 12:36 PM   #7

California
Jon in AZ - thank you for all of these suggestions, considerations and the checklist. Very helpful!
Old 03-18-2023, 10:46 AM   #8

Trailer: 1990 Sunrader and 1986 U-Haul 13 ft and 1996 Northern Lite Camper
Registry
The transmission in the Odyssey is a known weak spot. It doesn't do well in heat and pulling long grades. Personally, I wouldn't tow anything with it. You might want to add the largest transmission cooler that would fit. Manufacturers' towing ratings tend to be optimistic.
Doug Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:04 AM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Payne View Post
The transmission in the Odyssey is a known weak spot. It doesn't do well in heat and pulling long grades. Personally, I wouldn't tow anything with it. You might want to add the largest transmission cooler that would fit. Manufacturers' towing ratings tend to be optimistic.
Doug, I realized that at 221,000 miles now is not the time to start adding strain to the transmission. And being out West there are going to be long grades going out in any direction. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:49 PM   #10

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
We towed a Scamp 13’ with a 2007 Odyssey, took it to the 4 corners of America - Maine, Florida, California, Washington, over hill, over dale. The Honda worked great, 250,000 miles later it still runs. I did add a transmission cooler back in 2009. Used a WDH/anti sway, brakes, and exercised every caution. Good luck
Doc.Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 03:27 PM   #11

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
Hi Lianee --

I have owned a 2007 EXL Honda Ody since new. I equipped it to tow our EggCamper (17') -- one of the most overlooked protections is a power steering cooler (I used a small trans cooler)... Also, I would recommend 'drain and add' fresh ATF often (30k miles) - do not use trans flushing... Best to you with enjoying your camper