Hi, I'm Lisa... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1980 Boler
Alberta
Hi, I'm Lisa...

Hey all:

I've recently started renos on a new, to me, 1980 13ft boler that we currently call the purple pizza palace haha. My goal is to have this completed by next year while still keeping true to the vintage, original boler feel (pictures are on my profile in a couple albums).

I am looking forward to joining this community as it seems that everyone here is pretty friendly and has some great advice, which I have no doubt I will need to draw on . I look forward to getting into this community and boler reno further.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:14 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Lisa!

Best newbie advice I've heard is not to get too ambitious with the renovations right off the bat. Get it clean (your dirt is cleaner than their dirt), roadworthy (frame, coupler, wiring, axle, brakes, tires), and dry (test for leaks with a garden hose sprayer, being careful not to spray directly into fridge vents, etc.). You can always use it as a hard-sided tent even if appliances, electrical, or plumbing aren't working. A good polish outside and some simple, inexpensive cosmetic touches inside will make it feel like yours until you're ready to tackle more extensive projects.

Above all, unless you are an experienced rehabber with a decent workshop and plenty of spare cash, I wouldn't recommend attempting a full gut-and-rebuild on the first round.

How about some pictures for a start?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:32 PM   #3

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1980 Boler
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Welcome, Lisa!

Best newbie advice I've heard is not to get too ambitious with the renovations right off the bat. Get it clean (your dirt is cleaner than their dirt), roadworthy (frame, coupler, wiring, axle, brakes, tires), and dry (test for leaks with a garden hose sprayer, being careful not to spray directly into fridge vents, etc.). You can always use it as a hard-sided tent even if appliances, electrical, or plumbing aren't working. A good polish outside and some simple, inexpensive cosmetic touches inside will make it feel like yours until you're ready to tackle more extensive projects.

Above all, unless you are an experienced rehabber with a decent workshop and plenty of spare cash, I wouldn't recommend attempting a full gut-and-rebuild on the first round.

How about some pictures for a start?
Hey Jon!

Thanks for the reply, I'm definitely keeping it simple for this one I think. The body and trailer frame are still in great condition. There were a couple repairs done that weren't great that I will wind up having to correct, but they are kind of minor. I have gutted the interior, but that's only to lay new floors and refinish the existing pieces. I have a couple additions/updates that I will make but its mostly superficial stuff.

You're feedback definitely tells me that I made the right decision in regards to my reno project. I will definitely upload pictures when I get home, I just took some and will need to sort them first.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote