Hi, I'm Lisa from Calgary, AB - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-02-2015, 08:15 PM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 13ft
Alberta
Registry
Smile Hi, I'm Lisa from Calgary, AB

Hi everyone,

I am the proud new owner of a 1976 Boler! I am very new to this and looking forward to any and all advice to keep my Boler's original design intact. The furnace and battery have been removed and the fridge was replaced with an electric only fridge. A few things I'd like to look into to get started is find a 3way replacement furnace, and perhaps a battery or some way to set up solar power, and possibly paint the ensolite interior although I am aware this may be a tricky endeavour.

Looking forward to being a part of this community!

Lisa
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
MsCapergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:33 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Welcome to the group! You have an adorable little boler!
You can use the search feature to find a lot of information, especially about solar power. Check out the rally listings, and you might locate on near you that you can attend (camp) or possibly stop by to visit and get some tips from the FG Pros!
Glad to have you with us! And we love photos, so don't be afraid to post more
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:35 PM   #3

Alberta
Registry
Thanks for the warm welcome Pam. I bring home our Boler later this week and will for sure post more photos. Thanks also for the advice!
Old 06-02-2015, 10:11 PM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Welcome Lisa, your Boler is super cute.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:20 AM   #5

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Welcome to the site Lisa. Nice looking Boler! You will find lots of friendly helpful advice here.
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:09 AM   #6

Alberta
Registry
Thank kootnaigirl and Jay! (Jay, it's Lisa not Pam )
Old 06-03-2015, 07:13 AM   #7

Alberta
Registry
Question Soft spot on floor!

I wish I had seen Ian's guide to buying a Boler before looking at the Boler I agreed to purchase this week. The Boler is a 1976 and I will ensure a closer look before finalizing the deal.
The one thing that alarmed me after reading the guide is that there is a small soft spot on the floor. The current owners dislosed this and stated that he had a look underneath but didn’t see any issues (it was parked in his garage and rather tight so I did not personally have a look). He did note that a window did have some leaking when he purchased the trailer and had repaired that no further leak since. I wouldn't have even noticed if he hadn't pointed it out.

So, all that being said – how concerned should I be about the soft spot on the floor? What could that mean in terms of cost to repair?

I would appreciate your thoughts/advice as soon as able before I seal the deal so to speak (I had agreed to $4500 for selling price and wondering if it is worth proceeding with depending on what this may mean).

Thanks all!!!
Old 06-03-2015, 07:16 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Hi Lisa, welcome aboard. There are a whole bunch of us Calgarians on the site.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:36 AM   #9

Alberta
Registry
Thanks, that's great!
Old 06-03-2015, 08:06 AM   #10

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Lisa, welcome to the forum.

Now for the good news. Soft spots can be repaired.

Now the not so good news. These repairs can be quite involved.

You should look deeper into this situation before proceeding with your purchase. You may be able to determine the size of the soft spot by "listening" to it. The best way to do this is with a small hammer with plastic caps on the ends of the head. If you don't have one of these, a large screwdriver with a plastic handle will work. Using the plastic part of the tool, tap on the soft spot. You will hear a "thud" sound. Now move away from the known soft spot until the thud noise changes to a sharper "tap" sound. Move out in all directions until you find solid floor. You can "hear" the condition of the floor and it's not too hard to hear the difference between good and bad but be aware that there could be a transitional area where the noise changes but the floor is still somewhat bad. Once you know how big the area is, you can research repair suggestions. Other forum members have done floor repairs and have more experience than I do. My experience looking for soft wood in structures like this has been with boats, but the technique I've suggested will work here as well.

If this turns out to be a serious issue you could ask for a price reduction or look for another trailer. I hope this trailer works out for you. It sounds like you are really wanting it. Good luck.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Where is the soft spot located? How extensive is it? I would use a flashlight and screwdriver to probe a bit. If it's deep enough and/or extensive enough to require replacing a section of the floor, I would consider it a deal-killer at that asking price. Repair typically involves removing cabinets and other components, cutting the fiberglass tab that connects shell and floor, removing a section of the floor, fitting a new piece, fiberglassing it to the shell, replacing cabinets, and adding finish flooring. If you have to pay someone else to do it, that's $$$.

Is there someone who might go with you? I can tell you are already emotionally invested (as well as somewhat financially invested) in the trailer… and it is cute!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:12 AM   #12

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Hey Lisa (not Pam!) if you want more info on floors maybe you want to check out JohnnyM 's thread. take a deep breath first though, he removed his shell from the frame and reconstructed the entire floor in his boler. But, he might have some insight on your question about the soft spot, which is likely rotted plywood from a leak. How soft it is may be the deciding factor on how long you can ignore it.
I would ask the seller to roll the trailer out of the garage to have a good close inspection with Ian's buying guide in hand. An older trailer is bound to have some issues, just make sure you can contend with the issues you inherit.
Best of luck.
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:56 AM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Lisa, Welcome to the site! I too am a Calgarian. If you are looking for a 3 way fridge, I think Bolers also used an RM211. They are not hard to find, since they were also popular in pop up campers. Most of the pop ups of the same vintage as your trailer are now rotting out, but the appliances are usually still good.

I now have three RM211's, (thanks Jim). I would be willing to part with one of them.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:49 AM   #14

Alberta
Registry
Thanks everyone!! Your insight and advice is most helpful!! I have touched base with a local company that does Boler restoration and advised me I would be looking at about 1000 for the floor repair and given there is no furnace, or 3way fridge or battery that a more reasonable price would be $3500.
So that is what I will offer... wish me luck on that as you are quite right unfortunately my daughter and I are already emotionallly attached.
It's just me so I don't have anyone to go with me when I go take a second closer look however I now have all your insights and advise to be more informed!
Old 06-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #15

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Lisa, Welcome to the site! I too am a Calgarian. If you are looking for a 3 way fridge, I think Bolers also used an RM211. They are not hard to find, since they were also popular in pop up campers. Most of the pop ups of the same vintage as your trailer are now rotting out, but the appliances are usually still good.

I now have three RM211's, (thanks Jim). I would be willing to part with one of them.
Thanks David!! Will take up up on that offer for sure! I am not a camper that wants to be restricted to power sites
Old 06-03-2015, 12:19 PM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Lisa, I am much more of a Trillium guy, but if you want someone to look with you, like I said, I am in Calgary, and I would be glad to go with you.

PM me if that sounds like a good idea.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote