Hi, I'm Mike from Carolina - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Currently shopping
North Carolina
Wink Hi, I'm Mike from Carolina

I bicycle and hike. I've been looking at travel trailers for the last several months, to find that middle ground between bicycle touring + tent camping (my world) and automobile touring with motel stays (her world). She bikes and hikes, too, but prefers to end each day with a hot shower and a comfy bed (city girl). *Sigh* Life with a woman is all about compromise, apparently.

I (we) had almost settled on Airstream, but then read about Oliver trailers (on Airstream forums, no less). I went alone to the Oliver Rally in early May, toured the factory, was suitably impressed. Currently researching options and planning return to the Oliver factory to place my (our) order. If, that is, she finds the Oliver to be acceptable.
DeadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:44 PM   #2

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
That's gonna be one snazzy tent!
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:15 PM   #3

Name: Julie
Trailer: Shopping
Missouri
Had to laugh DeadMike. As a county girl, I still like a hot shower and a clean bed after a day of play. Getting rid of dirt, ticks, chiggers and poison ivy before spreading it through the bed at night seams a reasonable request.

The Olivers are beautiful trailers, inside and out. The Airstreams lost appeal with us as their recent quality (DH had a cabinet door come off in his hand at a dealership two weeks ago) seemed out of line with the price point. Too bad, I remember them being very respectable.
MulieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #4

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Scamp 13
Idaho
*sigh* I've never had to compromise for a man...gag...choke

Blaming her preferences on her sex could ensure it is a short lived inconvenience.
PilotPica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:06 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Focus on bed size/sleeping arrangement and floor plan. Our first FG trailer was a mistake: tiny beds and no place to sit without taking bed up. Also be prepared to get a real tow vehicle with that Oliver. Some study on payload capacity and trailer weights in the real world is worthwhile. Olivers are super trailers. Floor plan didn't work for us so we ended up with an Escape 19.

The great news with molded trailers if you make a mistake you don't get clobbered $ wise. They hold their value extremely well.

I can tell you compromise is cheap compared to a divorce! And if you compromise on some aspects your partner will probably compromise too.

I highly recommend attending a FG trailer rally. Owners are glad to give tours, it's a great way to see several brands with one trip!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Currently shopping
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPica View Post
*sigh* I've never had to compromise for a man...gag...choke

Blaming her preferences on her sex could ensure it is a short lived inconvenience.
Baloney. Her preferences are based in growing up in cities. And the compromise is mutual.
DeadMike is offline   Reply With Quote