Hi! I'm Monica 😄 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2016, 11:03 PM   #1

Name: Monica
Trailer: Scamp
California
Hi! I'm Monica 😄

I found myself a 1978 Scamp a few weeks ago, and...I'll have a lot of questions for you all 😁.
MissMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:01 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to the group Monica. Ask your questions.....we have answers. BTW, what are you towing with?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:55 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Nice, Monica, congratulations!

Hope you'll post some pictures of your find. Aside from satisfying our curiosity, it will help when you have questions. In a trailer of that vintage, not everything may be as it came from the factory.

Happy camping!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:39 AM   #4

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
great send pic size please 13 or 16
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:20 AM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
We love pictures, outside, or before and after, or even the what is up with this? Shouldn't there be a wire going here? Diagnostic pictures.

This is the best place on the net (or anywhere else except for FGRV rally's) to get ideas, information and help. As the proud owner of a 1977 13 ft. with the front gaucho couch/bunk I can tell you these people are invaluable when it comes to making repairs or coming up with improvements.

I should say co-owner, DW has executive veto on my design and modification ideas, something to do with a sanity check on what I'm about to do.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:03 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Welcome to the group, Monica
You will find a lot of help, advise, and friendship in this group!
and yes, please post photos, we love them
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Registry
Welcome to our zoo...you'll find everyone pretty helpful.

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:52 AM   #8

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
Welcome! You got questions we got answers maybe not the right answers but answers none the less! Kidding pretty smart group here.
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:42 PM   #9

California
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome .

Here is my 13 ft Scamp.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...icture9764.jpg

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...icture9767.jpg

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...icture9768.jpg

I thought it was in pretty good shape (I've seen pictures!), until...I found a leak . I'll ask for advice in the appropriate forum, lots and lots of advice.
I think my first concern, or attempt to work on is the leak and making sure the frame/axle is in decent shape .
Old 01-21-2016, 10:13 AM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Leak is always a priority, in order to prevent more involved repairs. Hard to tell from that picture but it looks like your wheel well opening is above the steel rim of the tire. That would indicate a good axle at least on mine. Axle even if bad as the totally shot one in our before picture will generally allow short trips to local campgrounds that don't involve bad roads. We used ours for trips close to home for a couple of seasons before replacing the axle.

I see you have what looks like an awning track and you also have the old style "three tree" decals in the original locations, as well as what I think is the original stripe off of the letter "S" of scamp. Later models they have a space between long stripe and letter "S"

Side views of our trailer showing with both good and bad axle. When viewed from the side how high up into the wheel well opening the tire sits and how low the trailer is are good quick visual indicator. Not a replacement for more in depth assessment but a pretty good indicator.

Before replacement: Note the wheel opening top is across the wheel not the tire.

After new axle restoring original height. Note the wheel opening is above the wheel and across the rubber of the tire.

RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:18 AM   #11

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
nice
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:28 PM   #12

California
Thank you RogerDat. That's a lot of helpful information. I'm completely new to ALLLLLLL of the work that's going to need to be done to this, but I think I'm up for most of it ��. Since safety comes first, I'll probably have to have somebody with knowledge on the axle take a look at it. I'm more up for making sure my curtains match everything else ��.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:16 AM   #13

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
I see from your Profile Photo that you have a dog. I live in Washington State; I don't know where you live in California but if we ever meet have me show you the tie-up-the-dog loops my brother put outside (on the bumper) and inside (near the door) of my Compact Jr. trailer. Very, very, very handy.

Steve (brother) has the Compact Jr. right now so I'm sorry I can't send photos. However, the good news is that dog loops and a pretty low priority for you right now!
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote