Hi I'm Natalie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2015, 08:39 PM   #1

Name: Mom2Philip
Trailer: 1973 Trillium
Ontario
Hi I'm Natalie

We just put a deposit on a 1973 Trillium! We are now waiting for quotes to have it completely re-done. Essentially we want new everything, plus we'll add A/C

Looking for advice on what to consider and look out for. Overall very excited though. I've been looking for about a year now and am so happy to be this close to finally have a Fiberglass trailer to call my own.
Mom2philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #2

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Hi Natalie welcome to FGRV
Old 03-03-2015, 09:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2philip View Post
We just put a deposit on a 1973 Trillium! We are now waiting for quotes to have it completely re-done. Essentially we want new everything, plus we'll add A/C

Looking for advice on what to consider and look out for. Overall very excited though. I've been looking for about a year now and am so happy to be this close to finally have a Fiberglass trailer to call my own.
I responded to your query in another thread you posted in.
You were more precise as to what you meant by new everything.
IMO you are looking at BIG money to have all that work done.
Just material, no labour I'm sure would be over 5G.
Paint material could reach 1000 alone.
FRED SMAILES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:23 AM   #4

Name: Gary
Trailer: 1976 13' Scamp
Michigan
Welcome to the site! You've got a unit older than mine. I'm enjoying the time doing the updates myself though. Trying to keep the costs manageable...

Sent from my XT1030 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
boats19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:33 AM   #5

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
Congratulations.

People here like to see pictures of the before, during, and after modifications. Please put some up on the "Mods, Alternations, & Updates" forum on this site as you progress in the rebuild.
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:51 AM   #6

Ontario
Now I'm having second thoughts...I don't know if I should just "restore" it since it's mostly all original or re-do it? Decisions decisions. Here are the photos:Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1425484261.337112.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	80952
Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1425484277.655249.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  59.9 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1425484292.804624.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  54.5 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-04-2015, 09:54 AM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Now I'm having second thoughts...I don't know if I should just "restore" it since it's mostly all original or re-do it? Decisions decisions. Here are the photos:Attachment 80952Attachment 80953Attachment 80954

Its not a museum piece, so there are no rules. I'd say make it how you like it. If you like it original, keep it that way. Some folks approach it as a "vintage" and some as a blank slate.

Maybe camp in it a couple times without mods. Focus on how YOU will use it and what YOUR needs are. You'll know what needs to be done and what doesn't.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I agree with the previous post, clean it up and use it first.
I've made ours the way we like/need it to be but over a 10
year period. That may be a little too long for most but time and
money controlled the attention our boler got.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:55 AM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
From the "Show Us Your Rigs" Thread
Quote:
But I know nothing...help

It's a 1973, paid $3900, but is conditional on a quote to have it completely re-done.

I want it completely re-painted (inside & out). Foams and cushions redone, new stove, new fridge, adding ac, new floors, new windows etc...

What do I need to know? Does it matter since we are re-doing it?

Thanks for your help!
Looking at your pictures, it looks like a nice trailer.

Paint: Painting is expensive, especially red. I realize that the avocado green is kinda dated. If you shop around, Maybe $2000 to $3000.

Cushions: The cushions can be done for ~$500
This is where I would go, but I am in Calgary: Home

Stove: What did you have in mind?

Fridge: This is actually quite complicated. First off, do you want a fridge that can run on propane? Are there vents on the road side of the trailer where the fridge would be? If so, the fridge that your trailer was manufactured with was likely either an RM24, or an RM211. There is no propane fridge made today that fits right. But working RM211's can be found on kijiji for about $100. Here is one in Ontario: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-trailer-parts...ationFlag=true
If you would prefer a 12VDC fridge, they are about $800. Here is a link to a conversion chart that provides the dimensions of an RM211:
http://www.thetford.com/Portals/0/PD...er_rev4-13.pdf
I would then also go with about 100W of solar cells to run the fridge and lights.

AC: Don't bother. This will limit you to serviced camp grounds. Roof top units will require reinforcing the roof. Window units are ugly. There is no good place for AC on a Trillium. Get a powered fan, roof vent instead. About half as effective as AC, and you can run it off your battery. Your vent is likely a 9" vent, but all powered vents are 14". This means cutting a larger hole in the roof. The vent, and install will run about $500.

Floors: Cheap and easy: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post507734

Windows: I would recommend reconditioning the existing windows. New rubber seals are available online. The advantage to the style of windows that are in your Trillium, (jalousie) is that they can be left open in the rain. It is nice to get air moving when it is wet. The windows are screwed into plywood frames on the inside. The wood may be rotten and need to be replaced. The upper bunk of the gaucho mounts to this wood frame, so would over head shelves. Changing to a radius style window would be VERY expensive. Sliders would be a downgrade.

I hope that helps.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:13 PM   #10

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
From the "Show Us Your Rigs" Thread

Looking at your pictures, it looks like a nice trailer.

Paint: Painting is expensive, especially red. I realize that the avocado green is kinda dated. If you shop around, Maybe $2000 to $3000.

Cushions: The cushions can be done for ~$500
This is where I would go, but I am in Calgary: Home

Stove: What did you have in mind?

Fridge: This is actually quite complicated. First off, do you want a fridge that can run on propane? Are there vents on the road side of the trailer where the fridge would be? If so, the fridge that your trailer was manufactured with was likely either an RM24, or an RM211. There is no propane fridge made today that fits right. But working RM211's can be found on kijiji for about $100. Here is one in Ontario: Rv tent trailer fridge or best offer | parts, accessories | Kingston | Kijiji
If you would prefer a 12VDC fridge, they are about $800. Here is a link to a conversion chart that provides the dimensions of an RM211:
http://www.thetford.com/Portals/0/PD...er_rev4-13.pdf
I would then also go with about 100W of solar cells to run the fridge and lights.

AC: Don't bother. This will limit you to serviced camp grounds. Roof top units will require reinforcing the roof. Window units are ugly. There is no good place for AC on a Trillium. Get a powered fan, roof vent instead. About half as effective as AC, and you can run it off your battery. Your vent is likely a 9" vent, but all powered vents are 14". This means cutting a larger hole in the roof. The vent, and install will run about $500.

Floors: Cheap and easy: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post507734

Windows: I would recommend reconditioning the existing windows. New rubber seals are available online. The advantage to the style of windows that are in your Trillium, (jalousie) is that they can be left open in the rain. It is nice to get air moving when it is wet. The windows are screwed into plywood frames on the inside. The wood may be rotten and need to be replaced. The upper bunk of the gaucho mounts to this wood frame, so would over head shelves. Changing to a radius style window would be VERY expensive. Sliders would be a downgrade.

I hope that helps.
Excellent post and good advice. If you were doing the work yourself, you could keep the cost down. Otherwise you're looking at probably 5k minimum.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:15 PM   #11

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
Go ahead and get your estimates. Then wait........the first rally that I know of in Ontario is EggfestOntario 2015 in Grafton, just east of TO. in May......not long to wait. Go to a couple rallys and see what others have done with their eggs. With a little cleaning, checking the safety issues, and some creative 'making do' will get you on the road to adventures. Just have fun with your egg!

It won't be long bf you are thinking of changes that will only make you more comfortable and without breaking the bank.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #12

Ontario
I feel like we got a steal of a deal. We had just about purchased a 30k trailer a few days before. I now have a good chunk of change ready and available for these Renos. No bank breaking required

Old 03-04-2015, 01:20 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Tony
Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
Thanks for joining, it's great to have you here

Tony
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote