Hi, I'm new to the forum - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #1

Name: Caroline
Trailer: Itasca
Arizona
Hi, I'm new to the forum

Hi, I'm Caroline, and I joined the forum today as I was searching google for how to fix holes in my RV. I have damage that my as-of-yesterday ex inflicted about a year ago, and he never fixed, so I figured I'd do it myself and save on the insurance. Great information here as I lurked, so I decided to join. I will probably have some questions!! Nice to be here
caroline3583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:22 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Hi Caroline. Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info here.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-29-2015, 06:42 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum, Caroline!

You will indeed find a lot of experience and wisdom here. I notice that you listed your RV as an Itasca. Be aware that our primary focus on this site is molded fiberglass construction, which is a lot different than RVs constructed of wood or metal framing with an outer skin made from sheets of pre-formed fiberglass. In these parts they are affectionately called "stickies."

However, there's no harm in asking, and, at the very least, you may get helpful leads to other sites that have more of the kinds of information you need. Many of the members here have owned stickies in previous lives.

Good luck!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:13 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Welcome Caroline..........
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:06 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Feel free to post pics of the damage.

Any guy who punches holes in an RV deserves to be an "ex"!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:16 PM   #6

Name: Gary
Trailer: 1976 13' Scamp
Michigan
Welcome Caroline! You are right about the great information. I've learned a lot just by looking up the words these fine folks use in regular conversations...
boats19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:57 AM   #7

Name: Caroline
Trailer: Itasca
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Welcome to the forum, Caroline!

You will indeed find a lot of experience and wisdom here. I notice that you listed your RV as an Itasca. Be aware that our primary focus on this site is molded fiberglass construction, which is a lot different than RVs constructed of wood or metal framing with an outer skin made from sheets of pre-formed fiberglass. In these parts they are affectionately called "stickies."

However, there's no harm in asking, and, at the very least, you may get helpful leads to other sites that have more of the kinds of information you need. Many of the members here have owned stickies in previous lives.

Good luck!
Well, right there starts my learning curve. I know I have a fiberglass roof, and I'm pretty certain it's one molded piece. "Bubbles" is a '97 Itasca Sundancer, and I suppose I will call Winnebago/Itasca and ask them! If it's relevant, I will post pics at some point...thank you all for the welcome!
caroline3583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:28 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Caroline, our trailers are made by forming the entire shell- roof and walls, and in some cases the floor as well- in one or more fiberglass molds. The end result is seamless, so there are far fewer ways for leaks to form, and self-supporting (more or less), so there is no framework inside to take up space or to rot. Some, like mine, even mold the interior components (cabinets and seats) out of fiberglass as well. Many of the trailers owned by members here are 30 years old or more, a witness to the durability of this construction method. Take a look at some of the trailers in the registry and in the classifieds to get a better idea of what I mean. You can see pictures of mine if you click the link under my name that says "registry." The home page at Lightweight Travel Trailers & Small Campers - Scamp Trailers has a video that includes some footage of a molded fiberglass trailer being constructed.

Who knows... as we help you get your Itasca fixed up, maybe you'll catch the fiberglass bug, too! I inherited an '89 Toyota Itasca mini-motorhome a number of years ago. The over-cab bunk had leaked for so long the frame was rotted. I'm much happier with my current rig.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Welcome Caroline.

Some fibreglass trailers are even older then 30 years old. My oldest trailer is a 1972, (43 years old). My newest is a pair of 1978's, so a young 37 years old. I have some bad previous owner, (PO) mods to fix on the 43 year old trailer, but it is still in good shape. Both of the 1978's, and a 1976 are ready to camp.

I realize that you have a trailer already, but I and others on this site will try to convince you on the benefits of an all molded tow-able.
- Long life
- Low maintenance
- Low gas consumption
- Cute
- Small, but big enough, (assuming you have four, or less in your family)
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:54 PM   #10

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome
Old 01-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #11

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Welcome Caroline,
Glad you made that big dump (the ex). You will find some good people on this site with suggestions, ideas, and help.
I'm from PHX.
Patti
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:28 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 16' Scamp
California
Welcome Caroline:

I'm new here too and my Greetings to the group should soon post. I agree with all of the other welcome messages you've received. Good luck to you, I admire you spunk to want to fix the damage yourself!
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote