Hi! I'm Peta, new member & new owner of a Trailorboat - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-15-2020, 05:21 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peta View Post
So happy to find this forum as I was searching for tips on securing my new "Trailorboat" fiberglass boat-topped camper; you are all a wealth of knowledge and occasional wisecracks and humor, which is what I love about a lightweight camping community to start with.
My fiberglass "RV" is a Trailorboat replica, moulded from the original 60's Trailorboats, of which there are only a handful left. I was delighted to see her come up for sale; they are rare as hen's teeth, no longer being produced, and after a crazy week trying to source a tow hitch and get 7-pin wiring installed in my Volvo C70, also no longer in production , COVID summer; EVERYONE is getting hitches and going camping, and the hitch producers have been closed during COVID, so perfect storm there. Anyway, many hurdles later, hitch and wiring installed, 1000 miles road-trip & overnight wait after the dealer broke the door handle off, grrr, we took her for a week camping on the river and LOVE her!
I'd appreciate this community's experience in how you secure your lightweight, easily-stolen campers, as I'd hate to lose this little boat camper that I've leapt many hurdles to own. Will post that question over in the owner help forum. Thanks for reading!
Peta
Peta Happier Camper have acquired the molds for the American Dream with plans to resurrect it with a little HC twist . With the pandemic however we have pushed back the launch at least until next year.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:32 PM   #22

Name: Peta
Trailer: American Dream Trailorboat
California
Registry
Well who knew wheel clamps started in Denver?

I hadn't heard of the "Denver Boot"... who knew these things started in Denver??!! Thank you, Denver. I'm looking at the ones that cover the lug nuts and fit a 12' tire.

I know of another trailorboat that is coming up for sale in Washington, a true 60's vintage, with a cool history, but missing its boat. I don't know how easy it would be to replace the boat.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!!
:-) Peta
Peta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:48 PM   #23

Name: STEVE
Trailer: 2007 Casita 17' Freedom
CO
Hi Peta, It must be a heckofa outboard motor to run your RV in the water! My feeling is be safe, but don't spent time worrying! A good hitch lock is really all you need. I don't think the rarity of the unit is a consideration... I guess we will find out from other posts if I am wrong! When passing through Colorado, check out Evergreen... a nice little town and don't forget to say 'Hi'... Steve
stevescrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:32 PM   #24

Trailer: Play Pac
Removable tongue

There are removable tongue hitches. It will make things much more difficult (which is about all you can do) to steal if there is nothing to hitch to.

I think you might want to do several things but this is yet another fix. Photo snatched from the net - not mine.
Attached Thumbnails
4412D291-D121-4566-B812-C62DB8F23DD7.jpg  
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:00 PM   #25

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
security

I get a lot of grief when I post this so I guess I am a glutton for punishment . A very effective and extremely affordable security method is to purchase an automotive jackstand then jack up the trailer on one side , stabilize it on the jackstand remove the lug nuts ( put them in a small bag in your glovebox ) remove the wheel and put it in your tow vehicle . Sounds like a really time consuming , difficult task ,However race track crews remove and replace four tires in seconds .Might be more than you would want to do if on a short trip but particularly effective if storing your trailer for the off season . Once this is done your trailer is as safe as it can possibly be . Lee ( ps would have to remove the spare if it is accessible although probably more work than the average thief would want to go through to remove it and mount it to tow the trailer away as they are usually looking for a quick easy score )
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:21 PM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A vehicle on jack stands without wheels is considered a derelict vehicle subject to towing according to some CCR’s. Since the OP is storing the trailer in a shared condo carport, she’d have to check what the rules say.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #27

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Not saying take both wheels off just one . Not aware of the derelict vehicle thing but one would need to check local or HOA rules , trust me I'm familiar with HOAs and their rules. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:06 PM   #28

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
Wow Peta, I didn't realize that unit used 12" tires. I recommend you check VERY carefully re the loading and speed rating of whatever 12" tires you have or will use. Speed = heat and, over a driving day, can rise high enough to cause a failure due to an overheated tire. If you don't have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) installed, be sure to physically check the tire pressure EACH MORNING (when the tires are "cold") before you hit the road. If you DO have a TPMS installed, if you get consistent numbers, then you can do a physical check once every month or two.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:50 AM   #29

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
It looks fairly small, why not just bring it inside and store it in the livingroom!

On a more serious suggestion, I use a Proven industries hitch lock model 2516. https://www.provenlocks.com/ Mine doesn't lock the safety chains like the newer ones but it's very heavy duty.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #30

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
[QUOTE=JonRaw;785906]It looks fairly small, why not just bring it inside and store it in the livingroom!

Yeah, it could be the perfect place to watch "Gilligan's Island" reruns!
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:56 PM   #31

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...A&&FORM=VDRVRV
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote