Hi I'm researching fiberglass trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2020, 04:17 PM   #1

Name: Amy
Trailer: in the market
Arkansas
Hi I'm researching fiberglass trailers

Hello everyone. My name is Amy from Arkansas. I am researching fiberglass trailers with my husband Jimmy and our cat to travel together. We saw a Casita for sale near us some time back and we loved the size. We have a F150 truck and going to downsize to mid size truck or SUV. I see there is a Rally coming up in September at River Valley Egg Rally in Barley, AR which is 2 hour drive for us. We may plan to go there and bring our tent and check out all the trailers weather permitting and talk to owners and do some fishing. We want to travel, visit families, workcamp and do some fishing across the USA.
ladyfish49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:20 PM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Welcome! A rally is a good way to see a variety of trailers and owners are generally delighted to show them. Making the decision to go fiberglass is an important step, much less chance of making a bad choice from this point on!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:11 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Amy!

Some mid-sized SUVs may have a hard time with the tongue weight on the Casita, which often exceeds 400# on the 17' model. Makes for very stable towing, but you'll want to make sure the vehicle you choose has a minimum tow rating of 5000/500#. Mid-sized trucks should be fine except a few with a base 4 cylinder engine. You may find you benefit from using a light duty weight distributing hitch.

Casitas are solid, well-made trailers, and the 17' model is fairly common.

Escape also makes a well-regarded 17' model with a somewhat different layout. It would be nice to look at one for comparison before making your final decision.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote