Hi I'm Roger Wilhelm - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #1

Name: Roger
Trailer: Trails West Campster andTeardrop American
California
Registry
Hi I'm Roger Wilhelm

I am a retired person looking to do some short trips. I would like a "mobile motel room" so that I can afford to travel. I live in Pioneer California. I have a nice home with lots of wild animals passing by. Some even stay for dinner. I drive an 2009 Murano with a tow package. I am interested in acquiring a 1989 Teardrop American Outback. I have a couple spotted and hope to have one ready to go next spring sometime, budget allowing. I am looking for suggestions on restoration, repair and upgrades. I want to join you happy go lucky sojourners and look forward to your company.
rwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Roger, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

Here's a link to an excellent thread and lots of great info, such as the type you're seeking. Within the thread, there's even more links! http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...can-27419.html

Best of luck on your hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Welcome to the group Roger

The American Teardrop trailers were built in Wenatchee, WA. There is a salvage yard that bought up all the left-over parts and pieces and, as of a few years back, still had enough parts laying around to build a number of complete shells as well as lots of odds and ends spares.

It is located in Chelan, WA and a look up of salvage yards in 98816 should be an easy search

Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #4

California
Registry
teardrop american

Thanks for the warm welcome and the great information regarding the salvage yard. Its re-assuring to know that there are still parts floating around. Thank you.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #5

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome to the forum Roger
Old 08-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #6

California
Registry
Always like the Duke. Thanks for the welcome. Much appreciated.

Roger
Old 08-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #7

Spare Parts???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilhelm View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome and the great information regarding the salvage yard. Its re-assuring to know that there are still parts floating around. Thank you.
\I am fairly certain that those are the only spare parts for the American Teardrops on this planet as well as Venus & Mars. If you are going to consider one I would suggest you check out what might still be there before they become part of the local landfill. They have been sitting outside for years.

BTW: The leading feature of those GullWing doors is that they almost all leaked rainwater.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #8

California
Registry
I have heard the same think regarding the doors and water leaks. I was hoping that some really good gasket/seal material would resolve that issue. I have looked on the internet for salvage yards in the Chelan area and they seem to be aimed and picking up junk cars. I guess Washington must have an aggressive buy your junk car program. The internet seems to be failing me, so I guess I will have to just get on the phone and do it the old fashion way. I have no idea how to spot a website that might be a good candidate. It is unfortunate that Chelan is a 14 hour drive from hear. If I lived a bit closer, I would simply go there and start asking around and let my feet do the walking.

Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #9

I have no direct link Roger, but when you Google, or search... try "Salvage" "Recycle" "Wrecking" "Surplus" (individually)

I've found if I can't find what I'm looking for using one search word, a slightly different word may work.

Best of luck!
Old 08-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #10

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Hi Roger and welcome. Since you're not too far from Carson City, I wanted to let you know about a cute Fiberglass TD toyhauler I saw for sale here in CC. Its quite roomy, uninsulated and basically empty inside. So you could build it however you want--a clean slate right now. Body is great and it would be a great little travel trailer for a talented person. Unfortunately its $4K which is high in my opinion for this trailer. But its been there a while so you can negotiate I'm sure. Its at a place that does consignments but you park it yourself and buyers deal directly with sellers. Its on 395 so if you're interested in a project like this let me know and I'll get an address or phone number next time I'm up that way.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
....Its on 395 so if you're interested in a project like this let me know and I'll get an address or phone number next time I'm up that way.
Take PICTURES Linda and post them!!!
Old 08-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #12

Chelan Junque Yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilhelm View Post
I have heard the same think regarding the doors and water leaks. I was hoping that some really good gasket/seal material would resolve that issue. I have looked on the internet for salvage yards in the Chelan area and they seem to be aimed and picking up junk cars. I guess Washington must have an aggressive buy your junk car program. The internet seems to be failing me, so I guess I will have to just get on the phone and do it the old fashion way. I have no idea how to spot a website that might be a good candidate. It is unfortunate that Chelan is a 14 hour drive from hear. If I lived a bit closer, I would simply go there and start asking around and let my feet do the walking.

Thanks again.
Here's a few tips..... It' South of the river and below the dam, on Chelan Falls Rd or Gorge Road or at least in the area where they meet. If you call anyone up that way they will help you find who you are looking for. As far as I can see that yard also had the most abandonded RV's as well.

It might be listed as a towing service as well.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #13

California
Registry
Thanks Otters. I will probably pass on the toy hauler. There is an outfit in Florida that makes a similar bare bones package. One of their options is A/C. Their units start at about $2400, I think and I gave serious thought but it would cost me half again as much for shipping or towing.

Thanks Bob. I will do some more research on the yards including mapping the locations and see what I can do. Monday seems like a good day for that. I think it would be a kick (if the price is low enough) to assemble one from scratch. Anyway I will see what shakes out and be sure to post everything.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #14

In summer of 2011 he had enough of the plastic parts to build about 5 trailers, minus the frames, as well as a scattering of loose parts.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #15

California
Registry
I wonder what it would take to adapt mount the cabin on a stock trailer like the ones from Reds or Harbor Freight? That might make for a sturdier and more usable unit. Wish I knew how the cabin was mounted on the original frame. It would REALLY be nice of there were drawing or cutaways of the original trailer.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There was one for sale over on the tnttt forum, located in CA, and was still available back in May. You should also post over there that you are looking. We have a 1946 Modernistic teardrop that will leak around the door hinge and hatch at times, mainly when towing. We keep one of those cheap blue tarps under the mattress and pull it up over when traveling if it is raining, or even looks like it might. When set up in a campsite we have a canopy over the trailer. Keeps it dry and out of the sun.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #17

California
Registry
Thanks. I think it is no longer available, but I will recheck. I'm not real worried about the leaking. If the weather is going to be bad, I'd rather stay home. Just worried about getting caught while on the road. Regardless, I will be doing some serious research on gaskets and seals.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Check for gaskets at perfect fit.com, they may have something.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:37 AM   #19

California
Registry
Thank you. I will indeed check to see what they have. Any port in a storm and any fix that works.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #20

The problem with the American Teardrops wasn't as much the gaskets as that the door part changes shape as it ages. These are not made of fiberglass, rather of some sort of thermoplastic that proved to not be so shape stable.

There are a lot of other FGRV & teardrop alternatives out there, just keep looking and, BTW; Buyers season is about to start as many owners will want to sell and not store a rig for the winter. Patience will pay off.....

And there are always pop-up tent trailer like this StarCraft I just restored, total investment was less than $750.:
advocateone's Library | Photobucket

Keep you options open.....