Hi... i'm Ron... uberNOOB... :-) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2021, 10:05 AM   #1

Name: Ron
Trailer: Scamp 16 v4
Kansas
Smile Hi... i'm Ron... uberNOOB... :-)

Greetings from Hays, Kansas...

I'm approaching retirement zone, and my plan is to sweep through every state in the Union Woody Guthrie style (seeking the soul of the nation and sharing my music).

I've put in deposit for a 1989 Scamp 16' v4. It IS a fixer upper... and i'm AM a rank noob... so i imagine i'll be spending a bit of time in this forum. I'm committed to the project and if all goes as planned, will embark somewhere around May-June 2022.

Grateful for this forum... :-)
Looking forward to the journey... Ron
rohlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:17 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Welcome

Welcome UberNoob.

The problem with being an RVer is there's always something to work on. The great thing about being an

RVer is there's always something to spend your time on...

I bought '95 19' scamp 5th wheel. Well the darned thing is 27 years old and needs a thing or three fixed. I'm a couple of years behind your schedule but on the same vector, so i have about three more years to make it truly road worthy and then I'll be on your tail.

So much to do... so little time...

Welcome, take a lot of pictures as you work and keep us posted on your project.
jwcolby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:18 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Ron!

Biggest issue you want to avoid on an older Scamp is floor rot. Most rot comes from above, from neglected leaks in doors, windows, vents, and plumbing. It tends to start around the outer perimeter inside cabinets and benches. Inspect there very carefully.

Replacing rotted floors is a fairly big project and requires fiberglass work (not difficult but messy and requires PPE).

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 12:46 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
See the USA , in your Scamp today !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohlfie View Post
Greetings from Hays, Kansas...

I'm approaching retirement zone, and my plan is to sweep through every state in the Union Woody Guthrie style (seeking the soul of the nation and sharing my music).

I've put in deposit for a 1989 Scamp 16' v4. It IS a fixer upper... and i'm AM a rank noob... so i imagine i'll be spending a bit of time in this forum. I'm committed to the project and if all goes as planned, will embark somewhere around May-June 2022.

Grateful for this forum... :-)
Looking forward to the journey... Ron

Ron, I might suggest you tour the USA by visiting as many fiberglas rallys as you can fit in. Lots out west in Oregon, Wash and Calif, and circle back through the S. West as Autumn comes. Add in the Lewis and Clark Trail , Field of Dreams, Vintage trailer gatherings and Rt 66, you'll be busy for years. Try to fit in music festivals and hot rod shows , Calif Hwy 1 and 49 , and you'll really get to know the U S of A ! David in Fresno and Sonora, CA
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote