Hi, I'm searching for a light trailer - going full time on the road in May! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #21

Name: Amber
Trailer: Scamp
California
Hi John, I'd need a shower and composting toilet in the trailer. I'm traveling as a single women, wouldn't feel safe showering outside... Looks from the other replies that I'll need to upgrade my tow vehicle. Thanks for taking the time to respond!
amberbradberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #22

California
Thanks Bill, Yeah, can't imagine living full time in a pop up, used to own one, it was a pain. Looking into upgrading my tow vehicle. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:14 PM   #23

California
Thanks Steve, looks like the general consensus is that I'll need to be upgrading my tow vehicle. Thanks for taking the time to repsond.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:15 PM   #24

California
Hi Marge, Yeah, I couldn't live in a teardrop full time. Looking into upgrading my tow vehicle. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2019, 12:18 PM   #25

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Your first decision is whether you are willing to incur the expense and loss of use of decommissioning and recommissioning for the winter months or not. If not, then you should target a 4 season trailer
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:27 PM   #26

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
If you want a bathroom, and I would too, then a Scamp 16 is a minimum and I would add an Escape 17B and a 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe to my list.

In the used market, you probably won’t find the Escape within your time line. For a new trailer I’d check with individual manufacturers they all have waiting lists/backlog. If you are willing to drive a significant distance you should be able to find a used Casita or a Scamp.

Don’t overlook AC either. Many older trailers were not designed to add AC.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #27

California
Hi Stephen, Interesting, I thought these fiberglass trailers were ok in the winter, but regardless, I own a ranch in the desert so I'll be back in So Cal for winters. Mostly plan to be out from March - November and not in any snowy regions...
Old 01-23-2019, 01:09 PM   #28

California
Good points, thanks Bill.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:11 PM   #29

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe that we used to winter in for 3 months. After that time we are glad to get out of it and back into our house. We tow with a full size pickup. I would want something bigger for full timing. We have met several women that full time in van campers or small class C motor homes. Can't fit a comfortable chair in a Casita SD 17.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #30

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
Registry
Hi Amber,
I have a 16" Casita with bath, that I would like to sell. If you haven't found anything yet, email and I'll give you all of the details. I'm in Mendocino, CA.
Thanks,
Alan
Alan Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:52 PM   #31

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Albers View Post
Your first decision is whether you are willing to incur the expense and loss of use of decommissioning and recommissioning for the winter months or not. If not, then you should target a 4 season trailer
There are three options to deal with winter. One, remain in a cold location and use the trailer through the winter. Two, put the trailer in storage over the winter, ie, “decommission” or “winterize” the trailer. It’s about an hour’s work to drain the plumbing and add non-toxic RV antifreeze to a few critical spots, and the same to reverse the process in the spring. Three, spend the winter in a warmer climate.

If you plan the first option- using the trailer through prolonged cold weather, then yes, four season upgrades- including insulation, thermal windows, and enclosed, heated holding tanks- are a good idea. They make a trailer seriously expensive and heavy, though, so most people choose either the second or the third options.

Bigfoot makes some of the best four-season molded trailers, but this current thread is a reality check about the many challenges of cold weather RVing.

Personally I'm for using the "undermount climate control"- the wheels- to head to warmer weather. For that, a garden variety molded trailer like my Scamp is up to the task.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:38 PM   #32

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 with Jon. Just got back from Florida, heading to Arizona in a few weeks.

In the meantime, I have winterized, then dewinterized, then winterized again. I'll probably do it a few more times this winter.

If I was staying in the trailer through the winter, I would have just stayed south.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:05 AM   #33

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Personally I'm for using the "undermount climate control"- the wheels- to head to warmer weather. For that, a garden variety molded trailer like my Scamp is up to the task.
A very apt turn of phrase.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:15 AM   #34

Tennessee
Like you, most consumers ASSUME trailers are all-season and only find out the painful truth when it's too late. Manufactures exacerbate the problem by hiding the temperature limitations of their products. One Casita owner told me he looked forward to wintering in Denver but was so uncomfortable he finally gave up after a couple of weeks and headed south to warmer climes. The outside cold flooded through the single pane windows onto his bed. You know the old saying, "If you haven't tried it, don't knock it." The incredible beauty of winter camping has a charm unavailable to nearly all small trailer owners because they are constantly fighting the cold. Bandaid approaches don't work. Only a unit designed from the ground up four season will automatically provide comfort as the temperature falls.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #35

Arizona
Registry
I have tried it- living in a proper four-season trailer in winter- and I agree it was far more comfortable than our Scamp in sub-freezing weather. I used it through four seasons with average lows around 20*F and occasional dips to around 0*. During a winter storm it might remain below freezing for several days straight.

I wouldn’t describe it as “automatic,” though. It still took a lot of monitoring and fidgeting to keep hot and cold water flowing in a box on wheels when it’s 20 degrees below freezing. Power goes out, propane runs out, pilots blow out, valves stick, batteries run low, tanks need to be filled/emptied, water connection has to be wrapped and heat-taped or disconnected, faucets need to be dripped in extreme cold...

It also required a 3/4T truck to tow.

We now prefer to enjoy the glories of winter from our four-season home and use a small, lightweight RV to escape the cold when we’ve had enough. Even the desert can get chilly on a winter night, though. The furnace keeps our Scamp comfortable into the mid-30’s and it can endure overnight dips below freezing if you disconnect the water.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:02 AM   #36

Tennessee
Yours is the voice of experience that every owner should heed. Your 4 season trailer was better insulated but not optimized for winter operations. That is why living in it during winter was not automatic. But that does not mean it could not be winter automatic if manufacturers would make a decent design effort. Pressure needs to be put on manufacturers by customers to build a truly 4 season product.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:04 AM   #37

Arizona
Registry
Maybe so, but I probably couldn’t afford one if they did. And even if so, I couldn’t tow it with the smaller vehicles I prefer to drive. So no pressure from this consumer to change. Sounds like the OP is in the same situation, and there are many 3-season units that will serve her needs well.

It’s interesting this very conversation is also happening on a Class B forum I visit: why don’t manufacturers build a true, optimized four season RV? They point to products offered in the Euro market and not available here. I think the reason is the North American market won’t support the cost beyond a few high-end, low-volume manufacturers.

You’re right, the Holiday Rambler I had was among the best available... in 1968. I owned it from 1985-1989. Some things- like dual pane windows (I used plastic), electronic ignition, and PEX plumbing- were simply not available at the time. It did have decent insulation, protected holding tanks, and ducted heat. Its aluminum frame made for a very tight trailer- seams and caulking held together for minimal air infiltration.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #38

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
A very apt turn of phrase.
Floyd has often said something similar, and perhaps others before him, so I claim no credit for originality.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:27 AM   #39

Name: Glen
Trailer: Winnebago/Itasca
North Carolina
Have you thought of or looked into a motorhome. I have a 2000 Itasca 35' and tow my vehicle on a dolly. The motorhome is a dream to drive, easy setup, and bags of room with two slideouts, Queen bed, full bath. That way I have all the comforts of home and a vehicle to roam around. I paid $15000 for the motorhome, probably cheaper than upgrading your vehicle.
ranki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:34 AM   #40

devru@sympatico.ca

I have a 1973 Trillium for sale , in very good condition. Get in touch to discuss.
Ruth in Tillsonburg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light