Hi I'm Steven & this is my 79 Boler/Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2015, 08:06 AM   #1

Name: Steven
Trailer: Boler/Scamp
Oklahoma
Hi I'm Steven & this is my 79 Boler/Scamp

Well just over a week ago I bought my first Boler/Scamp trailer. (I say Boler/Scamp because i'm not quite sure which one it is. It says B-79 on the trailer tongue, but I just found a painted over scamp decal on the side lol either way its super cool! lol)

I have already begun the restoration process and am a few days away from having the body off the frame to take it to have a new axle installed and beef up the frame.

I'm also working on removing all of the green paint from the fiberglass pieces and prepping them for new paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler.jpg   IMG_7453.jpg  

IMG_7456.jpg   IMG_7458.jpg  

IMG_7459.jpg   IMG_7460.jpg  

IMG_7462.jpg   IMG_7463.jpg  

IMG_7464.jpg   IMG_7465.jpg  

LittleBoler84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:13 AM   #2

Oklahoma
More pics of demo

I've already ordered new door hinges, seal, and drip cover and a few other things from scamp that I can't remember right now lol. I am determined to get this project done before winter. I want to have it up and ready to go camping before thanksgiving. Not too worried about the outside of the body accept to make sure it doesn't leak. I can tackle the cosmetic stuff in the spring.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7466.jpg   IMG_7467.jpg  

IMG_7469.jpg   IMG_7471.jpg  

IMG_7959.jpg   IMG_7961.jpg  

IMG_7962.jpg   IMG_7966.jpg  

IMG_7968.jpg   IMG_7970.jpg  

Old 07-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #3

Oklahoma
few more demo pics

More demo pics
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7972.jpg   IMG_7973.jpg  

IMG_7976.jpg   IMG_7978.jpg  

Old 07-30-2015, 08:31 AM   #4

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
have fun
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:37 AM   #5

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Wow. Just wow.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:44 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'll admit, that rotted wood back there looks scary as it can happen to ANY of us if we're not vigilant. I WONDER if the ratfur gets wet so that you can tell it's happening....OR....does the water just seep down between the foil insulating material and the fiberglass wall and goes unnoticed until it's too late???
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:51 AM   #7

Oklahoma
There isn't any "foil" behind the elephant skin (as ive read they call it lol) likely is was from an assortment of situations that caused it in so many places. Sink hoes leaking, water storage tank exit not sealed, front door leaking, rear window leaking (although the previous owner did fix that problem)...

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-30-2015, 08:53 AM   #8

Oklahoma
Oh and the roof hatch leaks a little too i was told. I think im just going to replace it with a bigger one with a fan.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #9

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
I'm no expert, but I think you have an old Scamp, it looks a lot like my '77. good luck! they are a lot of fun in a small package
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #10

Virginia
my roof hatch leaked too, a fresh bead of caulk around the outside roof made a big difference
Old 07-30-2015, 10:37 AM   #11

Obviously not just ONE issue but several. I know you have to watch the window seals for leaking. I try to be vigilant on my Scamp since it has onboard water tank, water heater, city water, commode, shower and sink... So, you also have to watch the Fantastic fans and such for water leakage. Hmmmm....just a rolling house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBoler84 View Post
Oh and the roof hatch leaks a little too i was told. I think im just going to replace it with a bigger one with a fan.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Caulk is a band-aid, not a fix, and silicon the worst. It makes a mess that will be very difficult to remove later when it starts leaking again (which it will).

A fix involves removing the vent, cleaning around the opening very thoroughly, and reinstalling with fresh butyl tape.

Given the history of "death by a thousand drips," I'd say it's time to reseal all the windows and vents. Now's the time to do it while it's torn apart.

When you put it back together, make sure to install some support between the kitchen counter and upper cabinets. Looks like they may have been removed at some point. Scamp uses twisty metal supports at the aft end of the counter. Boler used a post in the middle of the counter near the wall.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:55 PM   #13

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I don't see ratfur on the walls. Does that mean it can't be a Scamp?

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:59 PM   #14

I think Boler was the "elephant skin"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post

Walt
Old 07-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #15

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Caulk is a band-aid, not a fix, and silicon the worst. It makes a mess that will be very difficult to remove later when it starts leaking again (which it will).

A fix involves removing the vent, cleaning around the opening very thoroughly, and reinstalling with fresh butyl tape.

Given the history of "death by a thousand drips," I'd say it's time to reseal all the windows and vents. Now's the time to do it while it's torn apart.

When you put it back together, make sure to install some support between the kitchen counter and upper cabinets. Looks like they may have been removed at some point. Scamp uses twisty metal supports at the aft end of the counter. Boler used a post in the middle of the counter near the wall.

Thanks Jon, I agree about the caulk & silicone. I believe the back window has already been done, & new (Old) camper windows were installed beside the dinette. new ones were installed in the door and I think one was added above the counter. The front window was the only one I wasn't sure about. Were supposed to get some rain sometime tomorrow so I'll probably inspect it at lunch to see if I have any noticeable leaks. I know I have a few rivets missing and there weren't any tailights on it so I suspect that alot of the rot in the rear was from water getting inside the mounting holes while the previous owner was working on it.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:09 PM   #16

Oklahoma
This is the only marking ive found on the trailer. Other than the scamp sticker that was painted over...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1438283186.672393.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	87286Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1438283276.912789.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	87287

Old 07-30-2015, 01:25 PM   #17

Oklahoma
Fiberglassing Floor to Body

Does anyone know of a link to someone who has fiberglassed a new floor to the body of a Boler/Scamp? Maybe a "How to" or something? I would really like to go off someone else's expertise on this when I go to do it. I've never used fiberglass in my life... there's a first time for everything though! Just want to maker sure I do it right the FIRST TIME! otherwise this thread is going to get pretty sad... pretty quick lol
Old 07-30-2015, 02:31 PM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Good catch by Jon, that missing support will cause sag over time even if the upper cabinets don't fall down.

Butyl tape behind the hinges of the main door. Unless I'm mistaken about seeing a leak right next to the door on the hinge side.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:47 PM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Early Scamps also used Ensolite. Not sure when they switched to rat fur, early 80's I think. I'm inclined to think this is a Scamp. In picture #5 of post #2 I can't see any sign of the recessed taillight housings that were used on all but the earliest Bolers. But that "B" stamped into the tongue is puzzling…
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #20

Virginia
mine has elephant skin ('77 Scamp)

Tags
boler, scamp