Hi, I'm Tina - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2015, 09:18 AM   #1

Name: Tina
Trailer: In the Market
New Mexico
Hi, I'm Tina

Hi. I'm Tina, a person who's fascinated with Fiberglass Rv's. I want to learn a lot more about them.
Tsiri15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:47 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to FGRV, Tina. You're in the right place.

One of the oft-repeated myths of fiberglass trailers is that they weigh under 1000 pounds and you can tow them with just about anything. One great resource on this site is a database of real-world loaded towing weights: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html. Post #297 links to an Excel spreadsheet that can be downloaded, sorted, filtered, and used to calculate averages. That, combined with the towing information in your vehicle's owner's manual, will help you get started.

Molded fiberglass trailers have some distinct advantages over conventional framed trailers. The lack of seams means fewer places for water to enter and cause damage. As a result they tend to last longer and have much better resale value. And they are generally lighter than framed trailers of similar size, even if not as light as some claim.

One disadvantage is that they are mostly sold factory-direct, so you can't just go to a local dealer to look one over. Egg rallies are one way to see a lot of different models in one place. Some have a time set aside for open house tours, and even if not, most owners love to show off their trailers. There is a map here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...Y.kH9EkyWon6YM. Another, if you have a specific make or model in mind, is to contact the manufacturer. Most have a network of owners willing to demo their trailers for prospective buyers.

Best wishes in your search!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:07 AM   #3
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Good day Tina. We too are a big fan of glass egg trailers. Like Jon wrote they have the advantage of keeping water out and being fiberglass they won't rot like wood based trailers.

The other advantage is they tow so well and are very light compared to most other trailers. It does open up a number of options for using fuel efficient vehicles as a tow vehicle if you choose to do so. Saving fuel is a popular trend these days.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #4

Name: Tina
Trailer: In the Market
New Mexico
I tried the links in the email, and they don't work. I am really interested in the information. Thank you so much for giving it to me. I especially appreciate the fact that although they are lighter than "stick built" trailers, they are not "lighter than air." I'd really like to know if something like a 17' Casita with a few bells and whistles and my stuff can be pulled by a Ford Ranger XLT 4x4. I find the idea really fascinating.
Tsiri15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #5

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Depending on the year, your towing capacity should be in the 5000 to 6000 lb range and tow a 17' Casita just fine.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:53 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Tina, does your Ranger have the 3.0L or the newer 4.0L engine? According to the database referenced in my earlier post, the average weight of a loaded Casita 17' is 3300 pounds total with 425 pounds on the hitch. There was some discussion on a thread earlier this year about Rangers with the 3.0L engine being underpowered for some larger trailers. You can find that discussion here.

In general, towing capacities for pick-up trucks can vary a lot depending on engine, transmission, rear axle ratios, cooling upgrades, and other variables. Using your VIN number, a dealer should be able to tell you exactly how yours is configured and what it can tow.

BTW- If the links are not working for you, the trailer weight thread is located in the General Chat section near the top of the list.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:18 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
A couple of alternatives to a Casita 17 you may want to consider include an Escape 17B and a Bigfoot 17G. Both are a bit lighter and more spacious than the Casita, but not as common.

The Escape is a newer design. Late-model used ones come up occasionally and sell quickly, and there is a significant wait for a new one. Factoring in the exchange rate, which currently favors US buyers, their prices are comparable to a Casita "with a few bells and whistles."

With the Bigfoot you are looking for an older unit, and prices can vary a lot depending on condition, but I have seen nice ones under $10K, if budget is an issue. Note that newer 17.5 models are a different animal. They are nice, 4-season trailers, but quite a bit heavier.