Hi, I'm Tofer! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2020, 04:29 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Escapee's Young Working Group

The Escapees have a sub-group called Xscapers. Generally a younger group that frequently work on the road. More info at https://www.escapees.com/community/xscapers/

I am an Escapee but not an Xscaper

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:10 PM   #22

Name: Tofer
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Texas
Thanks so much for the link, Norm and Ginny! I've heard a tiny bit about that group (like, I've heard the name Xscaper before), but haven't looked into it much. I will though, especially now that I've got the link!
toferj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:16 PM   #23

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Harold View Post
If your job is counter to what you need for personal fulfillment (other than money) it will cause you to have symptoms of depression even though you are not medically depressed. Since most people won't or can't quit their job, doctors hand out antidepressants. I would venture to say that once you are spending your time making yourself happy your need for antidepressants will evaporate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Harold View Post
You already sound like you have your head screwed on right, and you're a dog lover, so I'm confident you will be fine.

Best of luck!

--Harold
Thank you so much, for the advice Harold. I'm hoping you're right about the anti-depressants. My illness is clinical though. I've been on meds since 1997, and in 2005 made an attempt on my own life (not to bring the mood down ).

Obviously, I failed.

I'm not thinking this will be a magic bullet for my depression, but I know that when I'm out backpacking in the back country with my girls, I feel more at ease... and either way, I feel like I'm ready to begin the next phase of my life even if it is a little earlier than most folks... and even if I have to live like a hobo to do it. Haha!
Old 08-06-2020, 01:44 PM   #24

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpscampi View Post
Tofer, I agree with others that life is too short to be unhappy - but you do have to have a plan and it sounds like you are getting yours in order! There are a lot of Facebook groups where people live in a trailer or van full time and there is a wealth of information about jobs you can do on the road, how to navigate getting adequate insurance, managing/paying off debt, etc. YouTube also has many channels that have great information about the same issues. I know you're watching Slim Potato Head but look for Bob Wells and Creativity RV as both have good info.
I watch several. I'm always looking for tips, or a fix for my want to get out there. I think I'm familiar with Creativity RV already, but I'll double check.

Quote:
There are also tons of videos showing the inside of trailers so you can get a good idea of space of a Casita, Scamp, Escape, and others.
I watch these all the time!

Quote:
Take the time to ease into it as Doctor Harold says - sometimes too much change at once isn't good and could be stressful for you and your dogs. If you could rent an RV and take it out on short trips, you could see how you like it and get your dogs used to the trailer and camping.
My girls are old hands at being out on the trail with me. I think having a trailer will be a luxury to them. It is great advice to rent and get in a test trip or two. There's lots of stuff about trailers that I still need to learn, and I'm sure the best way to figure out what I still need to learn, is to rent a trailer and try it out.

(and because I love showing off pictures of my girls...)

Me and Maggie on the AT in Georgia

Maggie sleeping with me in my hammock on the AT

Sophie at sunset in the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge

Sophie on the David Boren Hiking Trail in Oklahoma

Maggie being an extra good hiker in Arkansas

Maggie sacked out under my hammock after a long 12 mile hike on the AT

Quote:
Anyway, just some thoughts and wishing you good karma!!
VERY much appreciated!!
Old 08-06-2020, 11:21 PM   #25

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by toferj View Post
....Obviously, I failed.
Sometimes failure has an upside.

You seem to be looking forward with a positive attitude, and attitude can carry you a long way.

I wish you the best of luck, but I have a feeling you won't really need it.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:35 AM   #26

Name: Lesley
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Your girls are lucky to have you and I’m sure you feel very lucky to have them. Pets are the BEST!!
shrimpscampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:56 AM   #27

Texas
Quote:
Your girls are lucky to have you and I’m sure you feel very lucky to have them. Pets are the BEST!!
I could not agree more! I gave up an opportunity to backpack in the Grand Tetons next month because dogs are not allowed in the back country in most (all?) National Parks.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:34 PM   #28

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
California
Registry
Traveling with a furry companion

We picked up our new Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 in Rice, TX and drove it home to southern California over the course of 8 days. We'd chosen the Liberty in case we decided to go with the king bed (I'm 6'2" and not a great sleeper when cramped or uncomfortable), but found that sleeping across the Casita was just fine. That left the two side seats available as a dinette and, once we were finished, a great little spot for Wilson to bunk (he's about 50 lbs), using his own blanket from home to make him feel comfortable. He took to the Casita immediately. That's not to say that he didn't try a slow, inch by inch creep up onto our bed during the night...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0509.jpg  
billeldon is offline   Reply With Quote